System hang from holding left shift key - Kernel

This is a discussion on System hang from holding left shift key - Kernel ; While absentmindedly holding down the left shift key as I was thinking about my next input, I froze the keyboard. After 3 seconds, the system sounded a high beep, and then a low beep after another 3 seconds. At that ...

  1. System hang from holding left shift key

    While absentmindedly holding down the left shift key as I was thinking about my
    beep, and then a low beep after another 3 seconds. At that point, no key entry
    had any effect. From the beeps, one might conclude that the input buffer is
    full, but a CTRL/U did not clear it. Fortunately, a short press on the power
    button shut down the machine cleanly.

    I don't know if this is a regression. I found it in v2.6.28-rc2, but the oldest
    kernel that I could test (v2.6.24) already has the problem.

    When the beeps occur, a stack dump is as follows:

    Pid: 2989, comm: Xorg Not tainted 2.6.28-rc2-Linus-00473-g67d1128-dirty #2
    Call Trace:
    [] kd_mksound+0x69/0xa9
    [] vt_ioctl+0x3c4/0x1744
    [] tty_ioctl+0x793/0x7fa
    [] ? trace_hardirqs_off+0xd/0xf
    [] ? _spin_unlock_irqrestore+0x3d/0x4c
    [] vfs_ioctl+0x2f/0x7d
    [] do_vfs_ioctl+0x3ae/0x3e0
    [] ? sysret_check+0x27/0x62
    [] sys_ioctl+0x47/0x6a
    [] system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b

    Thanks,

    Larry

  2. Re: System hang from holding left shift key

    Larry Finger writes:

    > While absentmindedly holding down the left shift key as I was thinking about my
    > beep, and then a low beep after another 3 seconds. At that point, no key entry
    > had any effect. From the beeps, one might conclude that the input buffer is
    > full, but a CTRL/U did not clear it. Fortunately, a short press on the power
    > button shut down the machine cleanly.
    >
    > I don't know if this is a regression. I found it in v2.6.28-rc2, but the oldest
    > kernel that I could test (v2.6.24) already has the problem.

    I vaguely remember hitting something like that long ago (much earlier
    2.6). But i wasn't able to stabilize it so I never reported it or
    tried to track it down. But it's probably not a new problem.

    -Andi

    --
    ak@linux.intel.com

  3. Re: System hang from holding left shift key

    > While absentmindedly holding down the left shift key as I was thinking about my
    > beep, and then a low beep after another 3 seconds. At that point, no key entry
    > had any effect. From the beeps, one might conclude that the input buffer is
    > full, but a CTRL/U did not clear it. Fortunately, a short press on the power
    > button shut down the machine cleanly.
    >
    > I don't know if this is a regression. I found it in v2.6.28-rc2, but the oldest
    > kernel that I could test (v2.6.24) already has the problem.
    >
    > When the beeps occur, a stack dump is as follows:

    What kind of machine is that...? I can't reproduce it here, do I need
    some accessibility options enabled?

    Pavel

    > Pid: 2989, comm: Xorg Not tainted 2.6.28-rc2-Linus-00473-g67d1128-dirty #2
    > Call Trace:
    > [] kd_mksound+0x69/0xa9
    > [] vt_ioctl+0x3c4/0x1744
    > [] tty_ioctl+0x793/0x7fa
    > [] ? trace_hardirqs_off+0xd/0xf
    > [] ? _spin_unlock_irqrestore+0x3d/0x4c
    > [] vfs_ioctl+0x2f/0x7d
    > [] do_vfs_ioctl+0x3ae/0x3e0
    > [] ? sysret_check+0x27/0x62
    > [] sys_ioctl+0x47/0x6a
    > [] system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Larry
    >

    > --

    (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pav...rses/blog.html

  4. Re: System hang from holding left shift key

    Pavel Machek wrote:
    >> While absentmindedly holding down the left shift key as I was thinking about my
    >> beep, and then a low beep after another 3 seconds. At that point, no key entry
    >> had any effect. From the beeps, one might conclude that the input buffer is
    >> full, but a CTRL/U did not clear it. Fortunately, a short press on the power
    >> button shut down the machine cleanly.
    >>
    >> I don't know if this is a regression. I found it in v2.6.28-rc2, but the oldest
    >> kernel that I could test (v2.6.24) already has the problem.
    >>
    >> When the beeps occur, a stack dump is as follows:

    > What kind of machine is that...? I can't reproduce it here, do I need
    > some accessibility options enabled?

    It is an HP dv2815nr notebook with an Turion X2 CPU running the x86_64 version
    of openSUSE 11.0.

    I'm not running any special options that I know about. The only strange thing is
    that the shift keys autorepeat.

    Larry