Re: [RESEND] benet: BladeEngine 10Gb NIC driver - Kernel

This is a discussion on Re: [RESEND] benet: BladeEngine 10Gb NIC driver - Kernel ; Subbu Seetharaman wrote: > Jeff, > > It is more than two months since the benet driver patch was made available as a single file as suggeted by you : > > ftp://ftp.serverengines.com/0001.benet.patch > > I have not seen this ...

  1. Re: [RESEND] benet: BladeEngine 10Gb NIC driver

    Subbu Seetharaman wrote:
    > Jeff,
    >
    > It is more than two months since the benet driver patch was made available as a single file as suggeted by you :
    >
    > ftp://ftp.serverengines.com/0001.benet.patch
    >
    > I have not seen this applied. Is there any reason for not applying this patch ? Do you want a patch against the latest git tree ?

    The overall consensus at this year's Linux Kernel Summit was that this
    driver still needs a lot of cleanup, so I'm gonna try an experiment and
    stick this in the staging tree (currently jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git#benet).

    Greg, do I need to do anything beyond simply putting it into the
    directory? Do I need to add some code to taint, perhaps?

    Jeff

  2. Re: [RESEND] benet: BladeEngine 10Gb NIC driver

    On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 08:15:15AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Subbu Seetharaman wrote:
    >> Jeff,
    >> It is more than two months since the benet driver patch was made available
    >> as a single file as suggeted by you :
    >> ftp://ftp.serverengines.com/0001.benet.patch
    >> I have not seen this applied. Is there any reason for not applying this
    >> patch ? Do you want a patch against the latest git tree ?

    > The overall consensus at this year's Linux Kernel Summit was that this
    > driver still needs a lot of cleanup, so I'm gonna try an experiment and
    > stick this in the staging tree (currently jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git#benet).
    >
    > Greg, do I need to do anything beyond simply putting it into the directory?
    > Do I need to add some code to taint, perhaps?

    Anything in the drivers/staging/ directory tree will automatically get
    the TAINT_CRAP flag applied to it, so there should not be any need to do
    anything else for this.

    But, if you want, I can take this, to handle any Kconfig and Makefile
    merges that are probably going to be necessary do to me also adding new
    drivers in my staging tree. If so, feel free to send me the patch.

    thanks,

    greg k-h