RE: Weird behaviour on iwl3945 module - Kernel

This is a discussion on RE: Weird behaviour on iwl3945 module - Kernel ; Moin Is that the same issue as the one I reported agains 2.6.27 on Ubuntu 8.10? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ls/+bug/290820 Carsten -- "Never make any mistaeks." (Anonymous, in a mail discussion about to a kernel bug report.) -- To unsubscribe from this list: ...

  1. RE: Weird behaviour on iwl3945 module

    --
    "Never make any mistaeks."
    (Anonymous, in a mail discussion about to a kernel bug report.)

  2. Re: Weird behaviour on iwl3945 module

    Carsten Niehaus wrote:
    > Moin
    >
    > Is that the same issue as the one I reported agains 2.6.27 on Ubuntu 8.10?
    >
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ls/+bug/290820
    >
    > Carsten

    The rfkill messages in dmesg are probably meaningless. I see them too and they don't stop the card from working.

    What do you get if you type 'ip link' in a shell ?
    I think you'll see something like:
    wlan0:

    You want
    wlan0:

    to have any hope of getting any further.

    On my HP laptop, it's impossible to bring the card up with 'ip link set up dev wlan0' when the hardware button is set to disable the
    wireless interfaces during boot, on at least 2.6.[25,26,27]. However once you press the button and enable the interface you can then
    bring the card up and it'll stay up when you press the button again.

    The real problem for me with this is that normally the button is turned off during boot, so the startup scripts can't bring the card
    up and everything else falls apart from there.

    Previously I've just been doing 'ip link set up dev wlan0' in an xterm after enabling via the button first time I need to use it,
    having done that, everything works fine.

    With 2.6.27 the hp-wmi driver means that I get rfkill uevents over netlink and can use those to bring the card up automatically when
    the button is pressed. Perhaps there's a similar option on your laptops.

    FWIW, I'm not using Debian/Ubuntu, or hal/dbus/NetworkManager, but it was fairly trivial to find lots of discussion of this
    elsewhere, seemingly mostly related to Debian/Ubuntu:

    Iain