PROBLEM: ioctl (HDIO_GETGEO) on partition - Kernel

This is a discussion on PROBLEM: ioctl (HDIO_GETGEO) on partition - Kernel ; Hi, I am into a problem where the ioctl (HDIO_GETGEO) if failing on a device partition(ex: /dev/emcpowerg1), which is working fine for full device ( ex: /dev/emcpowerg). Basically I am trying to get start offset of the device partition (hd_geometry.start). ...

  1. PROBLEM: ioctl (HDIO_GETGEO) on partition

    Hi,
    I am into a problem where the ioctl (HDIO_GETGEO) if failing on a device
    partition(ex: /dev/emcpowerg1), which is working fine for full device (
    ex: /dev/emcpowerg).
    Basically I am trying to get start offset of the device partition
    (hd_geometry.start).
    The host information where I am seeing the above problem is as follows:

    Linux ampersandmex01 2.6.18-53.el5PAE #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 16:48:18 EDT
    2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.1 (Tikanga)

    Can anyone suggest if there is any patch available, so that the problem
    can be resolved ?
    If the patch is not available, then is there any other way, I can get
    the above information without using the ioctl (HDIO_GETGEO) ?

    I am pasting the code snip set below for your reference.

    Thanks,
    -Santosh

    int fd;
    int sts;
    struct hd_geometry hd_geometry_rec;
    unsigned int offset;

    if ((fd = open(p_ppdevname, O_RDONLY | O_NONBLOCK)) < 0)
    {
    return OS_SYSTEM_CALL_FAILED;
    }
    if ((sts = ioctl(fd, HDIO_GETGEO, &hd_geometry_rec)) < 0) ------->
    ioctl((HDIO_GETGEO) is failing for device partition (/dev/emcpowerg1)
    {
    close(fd);
    return OS_SYSTEM_CALL_FAILED;
    }
    offset = (unsigned int) hd_geometry_rec.start;
    ..
    ..
    ..

  2. Re: PROBLEM: ioctl (HDIO_GETGEO) on partition

    Sarangi_Santosh@emc.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am into a problem where the ioctl (HDIO_GETGEO) if failing on a device
    > partition(ex: /dev/emcpowerg1), which is working fine for full device (
    > ex: /dev/emcpowerg).
    > Basically I am trying to get start offset of the device partition
    > (hd_geometry.start).
    > The host information where I am seeing the above problem is as follows:
    >
    > Linux ampersandmex01 2.6.18-53.el5PAE #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 16:48:18 EDT
    > 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    >
    > Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.1 (Tikanga)
    >

    > Can anyone suggest if there is any patch available, so that the problem
    > can be resolved ?
    > If the patch is not available, then is there any other way, I can get
    > the above information without using the ioctl (HDIO_GETGEO) ?
    >
    > I am pasting the code snip set below for your reference.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Santosh
    >

    > int fd;
    > int sts;
    > struct hd_geometry hd_geometry_rec;
    > unsigned int offset;
    >

    > if ((fd = open(p_ppdevname, O_RDONLY | O_NONBLOCK)) < 0)
    > {
    > return OS_SYSTEM_CALL_FAILED;
    > }
    > if ((sts = ioctl(fd, HDIO_GETGEO, &hd_geometry_rec)) < 0) ------->
    > ioctl((HDIO_GETGEO) is failing for device partition (/dev/emcpowerg1)
    > {
    > close(fd);
    > return OS_SYSTEM_CALL_FAILED;
    > }
    > offset = (unsigned int) hd_geometry_rec.start;

    The code should try HDIO_GETGEO_BIG before falling back to HDIO_GETGEO.
    But neither will work for LARGE drives (>= 2TB) on 32-bit systems,
    so the code really should try sysfs for this info before using the ioctls.

    Sample code to do this correctly is in the geom.c file of recent hdparm
    source code packages from sourceforge.

    Cheers

  3. Re: PROBLEM: ioctl (HDIO_GETGEO) on partition

    Mark Lord wrote:
    > Sarangi_Santosh@emc.com wrote:

    >> if ((sts = ioctl(fd, HDIO_GETGEO, &hd_geometry_rec)) < 0) ------->
    >> ioctl((HDIO_GETGEO) is failing for device partition (/dev/emcpowerg1)
    >> {
    >> close(fd);
    >> return OS_SYSTEM_CALL_FAILED;
    >> }

    And while we're at it, that code above REALLY wants
    a perror(p_ppdevname) call just before the close(fd) line.
    That way, when it fails, you'll find out *why* it fails,
    making bugs like this much easier to figure out.