MMC maintainership help needed - Kernel

This is a discussion on MMC maintainership help needed - Kernel ; (This message is cross-posted to linux-arm-kernel which is subscribers only, so edit the cc list if you're not on that list. This was done because most MMC users are on that list.) I'm having trouble finding time and energy for ...

  1. MMC maintainership help needed

    (This message is cross-posted to linux-arm-kernel which is subscribers
    only, so edit the cc list if you're not on that list. This was done
    because most MMC users are on that list.)

    I'm having trouble finding time and energy for handling MMC stuff in a
    timely manner (as those of you sending patches to me have noticed).
    Therefore I'm sending out this general plea for assistance.

    If you see any MMC/SD/SDIO patches, bug reports or general questions,
    don't be afraid to comment and/or ask for more information. Even if you
    don't feel like you can solve the issue, any help you can provide means
    that my limited time can be better spent. And you'll probably also get
    more comfortable with the MMC parts in the process.

    On a related note, I see very little comments to my reviews except from
    the original author. As such I'm having a hard time evaluating my role.
    Are people satisified with my work as a gatekeeper or am I just being a
    pain in the ass? I know I can be a bit anal at times.

    Thanks
    --
    -- Pierre Ossman

    Linux kernel, MMC maintainer http://www.kernel.org
    rdesktop, core developer http://www.rdesktop.org

    WARNING: This correspondence is being monitored by the
    Swedish government. Make sure your server uses encryption
    for SMTP traffic and consider using PGP for end-to-end
    encryption.

  2. Re: MMC maintainership help needed

    Pierre Ossman wrote:

    > On a related note, I see very little comments to my reviews except
    > from the original author. As such I'm having a hard time evaluating
    > my role. Are people satisified with my work as a gatekeeper or am I
    > just being a pain in the ass? I know I can be a bit anal at times.

    Im happy with your reviews of the MMC/SD work I have done.

  3. Re: MMC maintainership help needed

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 18:13:33 +0000
    Ian Molton wrote:

    > Pierre Ossman wrote:
    >
    > > On a related note, I see very little comments to my reviews except
    > > from the original author. As such I'm having a hard time evaluating
    > > my role. Are people satisified with my work as a gatekeeper or am I
    > > just being a pain in the ass? I know I can be a bit anal at times.

    > Im happy with your reviews of the MMC/SD work I have done.

    Good to hear. Then there's at least one.

    --
    -- Pierre Ossman

    Linux kernel, MMC maintainer http://www.kernel.org
    rdesktop, core developer http://www.rdesktop.org

    WARNING: This correspondence is being monitored by the
    Swedish government. Make sure your server uses encryption
    for SMTP traffic and consider using PGP for end-to-end
    encryption.

  4. Re: MMC maintainership help needed

    2008/10/30 Pierre Ossman :
    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 18:13:33 +0000
    > Ian Molton wrote:
    >>
    >> Im happy with your reviews of the MMC/SD work I have done.

    > Good to hear. Then there's at least one.

    Even though it took a while to get my patch accepted, I still feel
    that, thanks to your comments and direction, the final patch was much
    better than the original one I submitted. Looks like you're doing a
    good job to me.

  5. Re: MMC maintainership help needed

    Pierre Ossman wrote:
    > On a related note, I see very little comments to my reviews except from
    > the original author. As such I'm having a hard time evaluating my role.
    > Are people satisified with my work as a gatekeeper or am I just being a
    > pain in the ass? I know I can be a bit anal at times.

    Although my recent serie of patches still isn't accepted (I'll repost them
    in a month) and I still disagree with one of your comments, I think
    most comments were valid and resulted in much better code than was
    in the beginning. So, please keep up your work!

    --
    With best wishes
    Dmitry

  6. Re: MMC maintainership help needed

    Pierre Ossman wrote:

    > On a related note, I see very little comments to my reviews except from
    > the original author. As such I'm having a hard time evaluating my role.
    > Are people satisified with my work as a gatekeeper or am I just being a
    > pain in the ass? I know I can be a bit anal at times.

    I'm quite satisfied. I figure the more a pain in the ass you are, the more
    likely stuff works when it comes out the other side.

    Not saying that you are a pain in the ass, just saying that I appreciate the
    gatekeeper role _and_ your code reviews. Here lately, I seem to not have the
    resources to do a good job at either...

    b.g.
    --
    Bill Gatliff
    bgat@billgatliff.com

  7. Re: MMC maintainership help needed

    Hi Pierre,

    Pierre Ossman :
    > I'm having trouble finding time and energy for handling MMC stuff in a
    > timely manner (as those of you sending patches to me have noticed).
    > Therefore I'm sending out this general plea for assistance.
    >
    > If you see any MMC/SD/SDIO patches, bug reports or general questions,
    > don't be afraid to comment and/or ask for more information. Even if you
    > don't feel like you can solve the issue, any help you can provide means
    > that my limited time can be better spent. And you'll probably also get
    > more comfortable with the MMC parts in the process.

    Ok.

    > On a related note, I see very little comments to my reviews except from
    > the original author. As such I'm having a hard time evaluating my role.
    > Are people satisified with my work as a gatekeeper or am I just being a
    > pain in the ass? I know I can be a bit anal at times.

    Hey Pierre, you are just perfect in this role from my point of view.

    With many contributors, we manage to enhance significantly the quality
    of the at91_mci SD/MMC driver and your view and comments, as a
    maintainer, have always been valuable.

    Kind regards,
    --
    Nicolas Ferre

  8. Re: MMC maintainership help needed

    > (This message is cross-posted to linux-arm-kernel which is subscribers
    > only, so edit the cc list if you're not on that list. This was done
    > because most MMC users are on that list.)
    >
    > I'm having trouble finding time and energy for handling MMC stuff in a
    > timely manner (as those of you sending patches to me have noticed).
    > Therefore I'm sending out this general plea for assistance.
    >
    > If you see any MMC/SD/SDIO patches, bug reports or general questions,
    > don't be afraid to comment and/or ask for more information. Even if you
    > don't feel like you can solve the issue, any help you can provide means
    > that my limited time can be better spent. And you'll probably also get
    > more comfortable with the MMC parts in the process.
    >
    > On a related note, I see very little comments to my reviews except from
    > the original author. As such I'm having a hard time evaluating my role.
    > Are people satisified with my work as a gatekeeper or am I just being a
    > pain in the ass? I know I can be a bit anal at times.
    >
    > Thanks
    > --
    > -- Pierre Ossman

    I am quite happy with the replies you send on technical queries on MMC/SD
    core/drivers and also the review comments.

    Regards,
    Madhusudhan