Re: Stale NFS File Handle but !NFS - Kernel

This is a discussion on Re: Stale NFS File Handle but !NFS - Kernel ; > Anyone got an idea why I am getting the below error with today's git > while compiling the kernel? > > LD arch/x86/vdso/built-in.o > scripts/Makefile.build:373: net/netfilter/.xt_mac.o.cmd: Stale NFS file handle > make[2]: stat: net/netfilter/.xt_mac.o.cmd: Stale NFS file handle > ...

  1. Re: Stale NFS File Handle but !NFS

    > Anyone got an idea why I am getting the below error with today's git
    > while compiling the kernel?
    >
    > LD arch/x86/vdso/built-in.o
    > scripts/Makefile.build:373: net/netfilter/.xt_mac.o.cmd: Stale NFS file handle
    > make[2]: stat: net/netfilter/.xt_mac.o.cmd: Stale NFS file handle
    > make[2]: *** No rule to make target `net/netfilter/.xt_mac.o.cmd'. Stop.
    > make[1]: *** [net/netfilter] Error 2
    > make: *** [net] Error 2
    > parag@parag-desktop:~/kernel-dev/linux-2.6-wk$ rm net/netfilter/.xt_mac.o.cmd
    > rm: cannot remove `net/netfilter/.xt_mac.o.cmd': Stale NFS file handle
    > parag@parag-desktop:~/kernel-dev/linux-2.6-wk$ sudo rm
    > net/netfilter/.xt_mac.o.cmd
    >
    > Even trying 'sudo rm -f' on that file gives the same error.
    >
    > I am not using NFS at all which makes this one sound weird!

    Broken filesystem?

    You may try fscking the filesystem.

    --
    Tomasz Chmielewski
    http://blog.wpkg.org

  2. Re: Stale NFS File Handle but !NFS

    On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
    >> Anyone got an idea why I am getting the below error with today's git
    >> while compiling the kernel?
    >>
    >> LD arch/x86/vdso/built-in.o
    >> scripts/Makefile.build:373: net/netfilter/.xt_mac.o.cmd: Stale NFS file
    >> handle
    >> make[2]: stat: net/netfilter/.xt_mac.o.cmd: Stale NFS file handle
    >> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `net/netfilter/.xt_mac.o.cmd'. Stop.
    >> make[1]: *** [net/netfilter] Error 2
    >> make: *** [net] Error 2
    >> parag@parag-desktop:~/kernel-dev/linux-2.6-wk$ rm
    >> net/netfilter/.xt_mac.o.cmd
    >> rm: cannot remove `net/netfilter/.xt_mac.o.cmd': Stale NFS file handle
    >> parag@parag-desktop:~/kernel-dev/linux-2.6-wk$ sudo rm
    >> net/netfilter/.xt_mac.o.cmd
    >>
    >> Even trying 'sudo rm -f' on that file gives the same error.
    >>
    >> I am not using NFS at all which makes this one sound weird!

    > Broken filesystem?
    >
    > You may try fscking the filesystem.

    Yep - just finished that and got unused/deleted inode errors plus bunch more.

    That's weird though since this is a new machine and new install - time
    to do a memtest followed by going back to stable kernel.

    Thanks
    Parag