[GIT] /proc update - Kernel

This is a discussion on [GIT] /proc update - Kernel ; Linus, please, pull from git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/adobriyan/proc.git proc to get a) /proc/*/smaps fix aka "[vsyscall] is listed twice" b) proc_misc.c disintegration patches which spread that collective dumping ground into sensible pieces, c) trivial things. Regarding (b), it wasn't in -next because of ...

  1. [GIT] /proc update

    Linus, please, pull from

    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/adobriyan/proc.git proc

    to get
    a) /proc/*/smaps fix aka "[vsyscall] is listed twice"
    b) proc_misc.c disintegration patches which spread that collective
    dumping ground into sensible pieces,
    c) trivial things.

    Regarding (b), it wasn't in -next because of huge rejects, it wasn't in
    -mm because of huge rejects, but (!) various people acked pieces, it was
    booted in several configurations here and proc files were created and
    worked as usual, it's trivial.

    Also, looks like, I can't put it into -next or into -mm and keep it for
    several months there because of rejects, and keeping it out of system
    will buy me approximately the same amount of testing as there is now.

    However, fs/proc/ compiliation was tested on huge cross-compile setup here
    and many, many randconfigs without warnings or errors.

    Now, if you don't buy it, pull from

    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/adobriyan/proc.git proc-conservative

    to get just /proc/*/smaps fix and trivial things.

  2. Re: [GIT] /proc update

    On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:36:49PM +0400, Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
    > Linus, please, pull from
    >
    > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/adobriyan/proc.git proc
    >
    > to get
    > a) /proc/*/smaps fix aka "[vsyscall] is listed twice"
    > b) proc_misc.c disintegration patches which spread that collective
    > dumping ground into sensible pieces,
    > c) trivial things.
    >
    > Regarding (b), it wasn't in -next because of huge rejects, it wasn't in
    > -mm because of huge rejects, but (!) various people acked pieces, it was
    > booted in several configurations here and proc files were created and
    > worked as usual, it's trivial.
    >
    > Also, looks like, I can't put it into -next or into -mm and keep it for
    > several months there because of rejects, and keeping it out of system
    > will buy me approximately the same amount of testing as there is now.
    >
    > However, fs/proc/ compiliation was tested on huge cross-compile setup here
    > and many, many randconfigs without warnings or errors.
    >
    > Now, if you don't buy it, pull from
    >
    > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/adobriyan/proc.git proc-conservative
    >
    > to get just /proc/*/smaps fix and trivial things.

    Alexey Dobriyan (33):
    proc: proc_init_inodecache() can't fail
    proc: spread __init
    proc: switch /proc/loadavg to seq_file
    proc: switch /proc/uptime to seq_file
    proc: switch /proc/meminfo to seq_file
    proc: switch /proc/version to seq_file
    proc: move /proc/hardware to m68k-specific code
    proc: move /proc/stram to m68k-specific code
    proc: move /proc/filesystems to fs/filesystems.c
    proc: switch /proc/cmdline to seq_file
    proc: move /proc/execdomains to kernel/exec_domain.c
    proc: remove remnants of ->read_proc in proc_misc.c
    proc: move /proc/kmsg creation to fs/proc/kmsg.c
    proc: move rest of /proc/locks to fs/locks.c
    proc: move /proc/devices code to fs/proc/devices.c
    proc: move /proc/cpuinfo code to fs/proc/cpuinfo.c
    proc: move rest of /proc/partitions code to block/genhd.c
    proc: move /proc/stat to fs/proc/stat.c
    proc: move /proc/interrupts boilerplate code to fs/proc/interrupts.c
    proc: move /proc/slab_allocators boilerplate to mm/slab.c
    proc: move /proc/slabinfo boilerplate to mm/slub.c, mm/slab.c
    proc: move /proc/vmallocinfo to mm/vmalloc.c
    proc: move /proc/buddyinfo boilerplate to mm/vmstat.c
    proc: move /proc/pagetypeinfo boilerplate to mm/vmstat.c
    proc: move /proc/vmstat boilerplate to mm/vmstat.c
    proc: move /proc/zoneinfo boilerplate to mm/vmstat.c
    proc: move /proc/diskstats boilerplate to block/genhd.c
    proc: move /proc/modules boilerplate to kernel/module.c
    proc: move /proc/schedstat boilerplate to kernel/sched_stats.h
    proc: move all /proc/kcore stuff to fs/proc/kcore.c
    proc: move pagecount stuff to fs/proc/page.c
    proc: move /proc/vmcore creation to fs/proc/vmcore.c
    proc: remove fs/proc/proc_misc.c

    Arjan van de Ven (1):
    proc: use WARN() rather than printk+backtrace

    Joe Korty (1):
    proc: fix vma display mismatch between /proc/pid/{maps,smaps}

    arch/m68k/amiga/config.c | 21 +-
    arch/m68k/atari/config.c | 15 +-
    arch/m68k/atari/stram.c | 28 +-
    arch/m68k/bvme6000/config.c | 11 -