asterisk-slash sequence in quoted string confuses checkpatch.pl - Kernel

This is a discussion on asterisk-slash sequence in quoted string confuses checkpatch.pl - Kernel ; [Reposting since the webmail system broke the code by adding backslashes. ] Hello. The below code confuses checkpatch.pl ver 0.21. Regards. ---------- # cat /tmp/foo.c void foo(void) { bar(" /proc/\\*/"); bar(" /proc/\\$/"); } # /usr/src/vanilla/linux-2.6.27.2/scripts/checkpatch.pl --file /tmp/foo.c ERROR: need consistent ...

  1. asterisk-slash sequence in quoted string confuses checkpatch.pl

    [Reposting since the webmail system broke the code by adding backslashes. ]

    Hello.

    The below code confuses checkpatch.pl ver 0.21.

    Regards.
    ----------
    # cat /tmp/foo.c
    void foo(void)
    {
    bar(" /proc/\\*/");
    bar(" /proc/\\$/");
    }
    # /usr/src/vanilla/linux-2.6.27.2/scripts/checkpatch.pl --file /tmp/foo.c
    ERROR: need consistent spacing around '/' (ctx:WxV)
    #4: FILE: tmp/foo.c:4:
    + bar(" /proc/\\$/");
    ^

    total: 1 errors, 0 warnings, 5 lines checked

    /tmp/foo.c has style problems, please review. If any of these errors
    are false positives report them to the maintainer, see
    CHECKPATCH in MAINTAINERS.

  2. Re: asterisk-slash sequence in quoted string confuses checkpatch.pl

    On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 08:25:09PM +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
    > [Reposting since the webmail system broke the code by adding backslashes. ]
    >
    > Hello.
    >
    > The below code confuses checkpatch.pl ver 0.21.
    >
    > Regards.
    > ----------
    > # cat /tmp/foo.c
    > void foo(void)
    > {
    > bar(" /proc/\\*/");
    > bar(" /proc/\\$/");
    > }
    > # /usr/src/vanilla/linux-2.6.27.2/scripts/checkpatch.pl --file /tmp/foo.c
    > ERROR: need consistent spacing around '/' (ctx:WxV)
    > #4: FILE: tmp/foo.c:4:
    > + bar(" /proc/\\$/");

    We believe that this is fixed in the latest release, and indeed I believe
    you have acked. But I'll reply again here for completeness.

    -apw

  3. Re: asterisk-slash sequence in quoted string confuses checkpatch.pl

    Andy Whitcroft wrote:
    > We believe that this is fixed in the latest release, and indeed I believe
    > you have acked. But I'll reply again here for completeness.

    Yes. You figured out that "Most of these \'s are extraneous" before
    you notice this reposting.

    Thanks.