linux-next: Tree for October 21 - Kernel

This is a discussion on linux-next: Tree for October 21 - Kernel ; Hi all, Today's tree will not build for powerpc allyesconfig (libc aborts the link due to a free() problem), sparc(32) defconfig and probably some other configurations. I am no longer commenting on conflicts that are clearly just caused by slight ...

  1. linux-next: Tree for October 21

    Hi all,

    Today's tree will not build for powerpc allyesconfig (libc aborts the
    link due to a free() problem), sparc(32) defconfig and probably some
    other configurations.

    I am no longer commenting on conflicts that are clearly just caused by
    slight differences in what has been merged into Linus' tree and
    linux-next or conflicts caused by further changes in the linux-next after
    a subset of a tree has been merged.

    Changes since 20081020:

    Dropped trees:
    tests (because its future is in doubt and it has conflicts)
    v4l-dvb (the tree is a mess)
    proc (messy conflicts, hopefully fixed tomorrow)
    bdev (too many conflicts for me to fix today)

    Linus' tree lost its buid fix patch.

    The drivers-core.current tree lost its conflicts.

    The usb.current tree lost its conflicts.

    The parisc tree lost its conflict.

    The sh tree lost its 2 conflicts.

    The usb tree lost a conflict and a build fix patch.

    The ftrace tree lost its 3 conflicts.

    The timers tree gained a conflict against Linus' tree.

    The acpi tree gained a conflict against Linus' tree but also lost a conflict.

    The mtd tree lost its build fix revert.

    The rr tree lost its 2 conflicts.

    The leds tree gained a build fix patch.

    The slab tree gained a conflict against Linus' tree.

    The kmemcheck tree gained 2 conflicts against Linus' tree.

    The creds tree gained a conflict against Linus' tree.
    The fastboot tree lost a conflict.

    The uwb tree lost its 2 conflicts.

    The proc tree gained 2 conflicts against Linus' tree and a build failure
    that caused me to drop it for today.

    I have also applied the following patches for known problems:

    sparc: qlogicpti fallout from sbus removal
    ibm_newemac: Fix new MAL feature handling
    binfmt_elf_fdpic: Update for cputime changes.
    Fix page_cgroup build breakage
    fix CONFIG_HIGHMEM compile error in drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_gem.c

    I have created today's linux-next tree at
    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git
    (patches at
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...fr/linux-next/). If you
    are tracking the linux-next tree using git, you should not use "git pull"
    to do so as that will try to merge the new linux-next release with the
    old one. You should use "git fetch" as mentioned in the FAQ on the wiki
    (see below).

    You can see which trees have been included by looking in the Next/Trees
    file in the source. There are also quilt-import.log and merge.log files
    in the Next directory. Between each merge, the tree was built with
    a ppc64_defconfig for powerpc and an allmodconfig for x86_64. After the
    final fixups, it is also built with powerpc allnoconfig,
    44x_defconfig and allyesconfig and i386, sparc and sparc64 defconfig.

    Below is a summary of the state of the merge.

    We are up to 120 trees (counting Linus' and 14 trees of patches pending for
    Linus' tree), more are welcome (even if they are currently empty).
    Thanks to those who have contributed, and to those who haven't, please do.

    Status of my local build tests will be at
    http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/linux-next . If maintainers want to give
    advice about cross compilers/configs that work, we are always open to add
    more builds.

    Thanks to Jan Dittmer for adding the linux-next tree to his build tests
    at http://l4x.org/k/ , the guys at http://test.kernel.org/ and Randy
    Dunlap for doing many randconfig builds.

    There is a wiki covering stuff to do with linux-next at
    http://linux.f-seidel.de/linux-next/pmwiki/ . Thanks to Frank Seidel.

    --
    Cheers,
    Stephen Rothwell sfr@canb.auug.org.au

    $ git checkout master
    $ git reset --hard stable
    Merging origin/master
    Merging powerpc-merge/merge
    Merging scsi-rc-fixes/master
    Merging net-current/master
    Merging sparc-current/master
    Merging sound-current/for-linus
    Merging arm-current/master
    Merging pci-current/for-linus
    Merging wireless-current/master
    Merging kbuild-current/master
    Merging quilt/driver-core.current
    Merging quilt/usb.current
    Merging cpufreq-current/fixes
    Merging input-current/for-linus
    Merging md-current/for-2.6.26
    Merging dwmw2/master
    Merging arm/devel
    Merging avr32/avr32-arch
    Merging blackfin/for-linus
    Merging cris/for-next
    Merging ia64/test
    Merging quilt/m68k
    Merging m68knommu/for-next
    Merging mips/mips-for-linux-next
    Merging parisc/master
    Merging powerpc/next
    Merging 4xx/next
    Merging galak/powerpc-next
    Merging pxa/for-next
    Merging s390/features
    Merging sh/master
    Merging sparc/master
    Merging x86/auto-x86-next
    Merging xtensa/master
    Merging quilt/driver-core
    Merging quilt/usb
    Created commit 73d994e: Revert "USB: remove info() macro from usb.h"
    Created commit 8c73818: Revert "USB: remove warn() macro from usb.h"
    Merging tip-core/auto-core-next
    Merging cpus4096/auto-cpus4096-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/asm-x86/smp.h
    Merging ftrace/auto-ftrace-next
    Merging genirq/auto-genirq-next
    Merging safe-poison-pointers/auto-safe-poison-pointers-next
    Merging sched/auto-sched-next
    Merging stackprotector/auto-stackprotector-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in kernel/fork.c
    Merging timers/auto-timers-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/kvm/i8254.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in kernel/time/tick-sched.c
    Applying DECLARE_PER_CPU needs linux/percpu.h
    Merging pci/linux-next
    Merging quilt/device-mapper
    Merging hid/mm
    Merging quilt/i2c
    Merging quilt/jdelvare-hwmon
    Merging quilt/kernel-doc
    Merging jfs/next
    Merging kbuild/master
    Merging quilt/ide
    Merging libata/NEXT
    Merging nfs/linux-next
    Merging xfs/master
    Merging infiniband/for-next
    Merging acpi/test
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in MAINTAINERS
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/kernel/acpi/boot.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/kernel/acpi/sleep.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/acpi/Kconfig
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/pnp/Makefile
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/pnp/quirks.c
    Applying acpi: merge fix for dpulicate acpi_mcfg_64bit_base_addr
    Applying acpi: acpi_os_hotplug_execute needs to be exported
    Merging nfsd/nfsd-next
    Merging ieee1394/for-next
    Merging ubi/linux-next
    Merging kvm/master
    Merging dlm/next
    Merging scsi/master
    Merging ocfs2/linux-next
    Merging ext4/next
    Merging async_tx/next
    Merging udf/for_next
    Merging net/master
    Merging mtd/master
    Merging wireless/master
    Merging crypto/master
    Merging vfs/for-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in fs/ext4/namei.c
    Applying vfs/xfs: fallout from i_vnode change
    Applying vfs: fix up merge of ext4
    Merging sound/for-next
    Merging cpufreq/next
    Merging v9fs/for-next
    Merging quilt/rr
    Merging cifs/master
    Merging mmc/next
    Merging gfs2/master
    Merging input/next
    Merging semaphore/semaphore
    Merging semaphore-removal/semaphore-removal
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in net/9p/trans_virtio.c
    Merging bkl-removal/bkl-removal
    Merging trivial/next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in Documentation/edac.txt
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/linux/securebits.h
    Merging ubifs/linux-next
    Merging lsm/for-next
    Merging block/for-next
    Merging embedded/master
    Merging firmware/master
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/scsi/qlogicpti.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in firmware/WHENCE
    Merging pcmcia/master
    Merging battery/master
    Merging leds/for-mm
    Applying leds/acpi: fix merge fallout from acpi_driver_data change
    Merging backlight/for-mm
    Merging kgdb/kgdb-next
    Merging slab/for-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in mm/Makefile
    Merging uclinux/for-next
    Merging md/for-next
    Merging kmemcheck/auto-kmemcheck-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in MAINTAINERS
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/linux/mm_types.h
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in init/main.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in kernel/sysctl.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in mm/Makefile
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in mm/slab.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in mm/slub.c
    Merging generic-ipi/auto-generic-ipi-next
    Merging mfd/for-next
    Merging hdlc/hdlc-next
    Merging drm/drm-next
    Merging voltage/for-linus
    Merging security-testing/next
    Merging lblnet/master
    Merging quilt/ttydev
    Created commit 3b5cfed: Revert "8250-oxsemi-mainpine"
    Merging agp/agp-next
    Merging creds/next-creds-subsys
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in fs/devpts/inode.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in fs/namespace.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in fs/nfsd/nfs4recover.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/linux/sched.h
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in kernel/exit.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in kernel/fork.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in kernel/signal.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in mm/migrate.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in net/9p/client.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in security/selinux/hooks.c
    Merging oprofile/auto-oprofile-next
    Merging fastboot/auto-fastboot-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/md/Kconfig
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in init/main.c
    CONFLICT (add/add): Merge conflict in scripts/bootgraph.pl
    Merging sparseirq/auto-sparseirq-next
    Merging iommu/auto-iommu-next
    Merging uwb/for-upstream
    Merging watchdog/master
    Merging proc/proc
    CONFLICT (delete/modify): fs/proc/proc_misc.c deleted in proc/proc and modified in HEAD. Version HEAD of fs/proc/proc_misc.c left in tree.
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in fs/proc/vmcore.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in mm/hugetlb.c
    $ git rm -f fs/proc/proc_misc.c
    $ git reset --hard HEAD^
    Merging scsi-post-merge/master
    Applying sparc: qlogicpti fallout from sbus removal
    Applying ibm_newemac: Fix new MAL feature handling
    Applying binfmt_elf_fdpic: Update for cputime changes.
    Applying Fix page_cgroup build breakage
    Applying fix CONFIG_HIGHMEM compile error in drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_gem.c

  2. Re: linux-next: Tree for October 21

    On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 07:51:09PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
    >I have also applied the following patches for known problems:
    >
    > sparc: qlogicpti fallout from sbus removal
    > ibm_newemac: Fix new MAL feature handling

    Did you? I put that in my next branch, which Ben pulled into his powerpc
    tree, so it shouldn't have needed applying separately.

    josh

  3. Re: linux-next: Tree for October 21

    Hi Josh,

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:07:35 -0400 Josh Boyer wrote:

    > On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 07:51:09PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
    > >I have also applied the following patches for known problems:
    > >
    > > sparc: qlogicpti fallout from sbus removal
    > > ibm_newemac: Fix new MAL feature handling

    > Did you? I put that in my next branch, which Ben pulled into his powerpc
    > tree, so it shouldn't have needed applying separately.

    It got into Ben's tree way after I started building linux-next for
    today. Tomorrow I will indeed not need it any more, thanks.

    --
    Cheers,
    Stephen Rothwell sfr@canb.auug.org.au
    http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

  4. Re: linux-next: Tree for October 21

    On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 11:14:21PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
    >Hi Josh,
    >
    >On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:07:35 -0400 Josh Boyer wrote:
    >>
    >> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 07:51:09PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
    >> >I have also applied the following patches for known problems:
    >> >
    >> > sparc: qlogicpti fallout from sbus removal
    >> > ibm_newemac: Fix new MAL feature handling

    >> Did you? I put that in my next branch, which Ben pulled into his powerpc
    >> tree, so it shouldn't have needed applying separately.

    >It got into Ben's tree way after I started building linux-next for
    >today. Tomorrow I will indeed not need it any more, thanks.

    Ah. I sort of guessed that after I sent out my first mail. Silly me
    for emailing before coffee again.

    josh

  5. Re: linux-next: Tree for October 21

    Missing the git://git.infradead.org/iommu-2.6.git tree, which contains a
    bunch of patches which had got dropped over the last few weeks, and
    which I need to send to Linus before the merge window closes. I was
    really hoping they'd be in today's linux-next

    --
    David Woodhouse Open Source Technology Centre
    David.Woodhouse@intel.com Intel Corporation

  6. Re: linux-next: Tree for October 21 (jffs2)

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:51:09 +1100 Stephen Rothwell wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Today's tree will not build for powerpc allyesconfig (libc aborts the
    > link due to a free() problem), sparc(32) defconfig and probably some
    > other configurations.
    >
    > I am no longer commenting on conflicts that are clearly just caused by
    > slight differences in what has been merged into Linus' tree and
    > linux-next or conflicts caused by further changes in the linux-next after
    > a subset of a tree has been merged.

    linux-next-20081021/fs/jffs2/nodemgmt.c:265: error: 'struct jffs2_sb_info' has no member named 'wbuf_ofs'
    linux-next-20081021/fs/jffs2/nodemgmt.c:265: error: 'struct jffs2_sb_info' has no member named 'wbuf_len'
    linux-next-20081021/fs/jffs2/nodemgmt.c:266: error: 'struct jffs2_sb_info' has no member named 'wbuf_ofs'

    ---
    ~Randy

  7. Re: linux-next: Tree for October 21 (printk format warnings)

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:51:09 +1100 Stephen Rothwell wrote:

    printk format warnings summary:

    i386:

    linux-next-20081021/drivers/pci/hotplug/acpiphp_ibm.c:207: warning: format '%08lx' expects type 'long unsigned int', but argument 3 has type 'long long unsigned int'

    linux-next-20081021/drivers/misc/intel_menlow.c:107: warning: format '%ld' expects type 'long int', but argument 3 has type 'long long unsigned int'

    x86_64:

    linux-next-20081021/drivers/pci/hotplug/acpiphp_ibm.c:207: warning: format '%08lx' expects type 'long unsigned int', but argument 3 has type 'long long unsigned int'

    linux-next-20081021/drivers/usb/misc/vstusb.c:623: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but argument 5 has type 'size_t'

    linux-next-20081021/drivers/misc/intel_menlow.c:107: warning: format '%ld' expects type 'long int', but argument 3 has type 'long long unsigned int'

    Other arches not built, but a few of them are really good at finding this
    sort of problem...

    ---
    ~Randy

  8. Re: linux-next: Tree for October 21 (printk format warnings)

    From: Greg KH
    Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 22:01:42 -0700

    > What's the expected modifier for "size_t" to work on all arches?

    Put "%Z" in front of the output specifier you want to use,
    for example %Zd for decimal and %Zx for hex.

    > Same goes for the result of "size_of()", what should we use there? Or
    > are we just required to always cast things?

    Sizeof should use the same as above.

  9. Re: linux-next: Tree for October 21 (printk format warnings)

    On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 09:57:25PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:51:09 +1100 Stephen Rothwell wrote:
    >

    > printk format warnings summary:
    >
    > i386:
    >
    > linux-next-20081021/drivers/pci/hotplug/acpiphp_ibm.c:207: warning: format '%08lx' expects type 'long unsigned int', but argument 3 has type 'long long unsigned int'
    >
    > linux-next-20081021/drivers/misc/intel_menlow.c:107: warning: format '%ld' expects type 'long int', but argument 3 has type 'long long unsigned int'
    >
    > x86_64:
    >
    > linux-next-20081021/drivers/pci/hotplug/acpiphp_ibm.c:207: warning: format '%08lx' expects type 'long unsigned int', but argument 3 has type 'long long unsigned int'
    >
    > linux-next-20081021/drivers/usb/misc/vstusb.c:623: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but argument 5 has type 'size_t'

    Crap. What's the expected modifier for "size_t" to work on all arches?

    Same goes for the result of "size_of()", what should we use there? Or
    are we just required to always cast things?

    thanks,

    greg k-h

  10. Re: linux-next: Tree for October 21 (staging/prism2-usb)

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:51:09 +1100 Stephen Rothwell wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Today's tree will not build for powerpc allyesconfig (libc aborts the
    > link due to a free() problem), sparc(32) defconfig and probably some
    > other configurations.
    >
    > I am no longer commenting on conflicts that are clearly just caused by
    > slight differences in what has been merged into Linus' tree and
    > linux-next or conflicts caused by further changes in the linux-next after
    > a subset of a tree has been merged.

    ERROR: "wireless_send_event" [drivers/staging/wlan-ng/p80211.ko] undefined!

    Looks like that driver should depend on WIRELESS or slt (something like that).

    ---
    ~Randy

  11. Re: linux-next: Tree for October 21 (staging/prism2-usb)

    On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 09:47:20PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:51:09 +1100 Stephen Rothwell wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Today's tree will not build for powerpc allyesconfig (libc aborts the
    > > link due to a free() problem), sparc(32) defconfig and probably some
    > > other configurations.
    > >
    > > I am no longer commenting on conflicts that are clearly just caused by
    > > slight differences in what has been merged into Linus' tree and
    > > linux-next or conflicts caused by further changes in the linux-next after
    > > a subset of a tree has been merged.

    > ERROR: "wireless_send_event" [drivers/staging/wlan-ng/p80211.ko] undefined!
    >
    > Looks like that driver should depend on WIRELESS or slt (something like that).

    Hm, I added a WLAN_80211 dependancy here, which should catch this
    problem (Ingo reported it a few days ago as well.)

    Can you send me the config you used that caused this?

    thanks,

    greg k-h

  12. Re: linux-next: Tree for October 21 (printk format warnings)

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 22:01:42 -0700 Greg KH wrote:

    > On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 09:57:25PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
    > > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:51:09 +1100 Stephen Rothwell wrote:
    > >

    > > printk format warnings summary:
    > >
    > > i386:
    > >
    > > linux-next-20081021/drivers/pci/hotplug/acpiphp_ibm.c:207: warning: format '%08lx' expects type 'long unsigned int', but argument 3 has type 'long long unsigned int'
    > >
    > > linux-next-20081021/drivers/misc/intel_menlow.c:107: warning: format '%ld' expects type 'long int', but argument 3 has type 'long long unsigned int'
    > >
    > > x86_64:
    > >
    > > linux-next-20081021/drivers/pci/hotplug/acpiphp_ibm.c:207: warning: format '%08lx' expects type 'long unsigned int', but argument 3 has type 'long long unsigned int'
    > >
    > > linux-next-20081021/drivers/usb/misc/vstusb.c:623: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but argument 5 has type 'size_t'

    > Crap. What's the expected modifier for "size_t" to work on all arches?
    >
    > Same goes for the result of "size_of()", what should we use there? Or
    > are we just required to always cast things?

    sizeof() is a type size_t. Both of them should use "%zu".
    ssize_t (signed) should use "%zd".

    ---
    ~Randy

  13. Re: linux-next: Tree for October 21 (printk format warnings)

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 22:07:54 -0700 (PDT) David Miller wrote:

    > From: Greg KH
    > Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 22:01:42 -0700
    >
    > > What's the expected modifier for "size_t" to work on all arches?

    > Put "%Z" in front of the output specifier you want to use,
    > for example %Zd for decimal and %Zx for hex.
    >
    > > Same goes for the result of "size_of()", what should we use there? Or
    > > are we just required to always cast things?

    > Sizeof should use the same as above.

    I know that Alan recently merged a patch with %Zd instead of %zd,
    but the ANSI spec says to use %z, so I thought that we were going with
    that moreso than %Z... ??

    ---
    ~Randy

  14. Re: linux-next: Tree for October 21 (printk format warnings)

    From: Randy Dunlap
    Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 22:11:16 -0700

    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 22:07:54 -0700 (PDT) David Miller wrote:
    >
    > > From: Greg KH
    > > Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 22:01:42 -0700
    > >
    > > > What's the expected modifier for "size_t" to work on all arches?

    > > Put "%Z" in front of the output specifier you want to use,
    > > for example %Zd for decimal and %Zx for hex.
    > >
    > > > Same goes for the result of "size_of()", what should we use there? Or
    > > > are we just required to always cast things?

    > > Sizeof should use the same as above.

    > I know that Alan recently merged a patch with %Zd instead of %zd,
    > but the ANSI spec says to use %z, so I thought that we were going with
    > that moreso than %Z... ??

    I think you're right.

    My old fingers must do %Z automatically because gcc a long time ago
    didn't recognize %z and warned. That should be such an old gcc problem
    as to be irrelevant these days.