Re: 2.6.27: 0 MHz CPU and wrong system time on AMD Geode system - Kernel

This is a discussion on Re: 2.6.27: 0 MHz CPU and wrong system time on AMD Geode system - Kernel ; Jordan Crouse wrote: > Could you try a 2.6.26 kernel? That will confirm that this is a new > addition to 2.6.27. Both 2.6.26 and 2.6.26.6 looks good (with CONFIG_GEODE_MFGPT_TIMER=y). Dmitry -- To unsubscribe from this list: send the line ...

  1. Re: 2.6.27: 0 MHz CPU and wrong system time on AMD Geode system

    Jordan Crouse wrote:

    > Could you try a 2.6.26 kernel? That will confirm that this is a new
    > addition to 2.6.27.

    Both 2.6.26 and 2.6.26.6 looks good (with CONFIG_GEODE_MFGPT_TIMER=y).

    Dmitry

  2. Re: 2.6.27: 0 MHz CPU and wrong system time on AMD Geode system

    On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Antipov Dmitry wrote:
    > Jordan Crouse wrote:
    >
    >> Could you try a 2.6.26 kernel? That will confirm that this is a new
    >> addition to 2.6.27.

    > Both 2.6.26 and 2.6.26.6 looks good (with CONFIG_GEODE_MFGPT_TIMER=y).

    Can you try the attached debug patch, it puts a printk message and
    will let us know what exaclty is failing during the calibration
    process.
    There were some major changes in the 2.6.27 cycle related to tsc calibration.
    Apart from the unification for 32 and 64bit, some checks were added in
    the code to make the calibration process more robust, maybe this
    specific machine is more prone to SMI's than other, as a result the
    checks are a little to harsh for this one.

    Along with the dmesg with this patch, could you also let us know how
    much is the frequency that the (2.6.26) kernel calibrates and what the
    actual freuqency is on that box ?

    Thanks,
    Alok

    > Dmitry
    > --

  3. Re: 2.6.27: 0 MHz CPU and wrong system time on AMD Geode system

    On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 03:17:39PM -0700, Alok Kataria wrote:
    > Can you try the attached debug patch, it puts a printk message and
    > will let us know what exaclty is failing during the calibration
    > process.
    > There were some major changes in the 2.6.27 cycle related to tsc calibration.
    > Apart from the unification for 32 and 64bit, some checks were added in
    > the code to make the calibration process more robust, maybe this
    > specific machine is more prone to SMI's than other, as a result the
    > checks are a little to harsh for this one.

    I recently had to disable the timer generating an SMI on our platform,
    because it would cause FIFO overflows on serial ports and other
    infrequent problems. SMM/SMI is just a pain in the rear.

    I haven't tried 2.6.27 yet, but have not had issues with 2.6.26 so far
    (other than it seemingly breaking the SC1200's ide controller with
    certain compact flash cards which I am still trying to track down, but
    that isn't a Geode LX problem, that's a Geode SC1200 problem).

    --
    Len Sorensen

  4. Re: 2.6.27: 0 MHz CPU and wrong system time on AMD Geode system

    On 17/10/08 15:17 -0700, Alok Kataria wrote:
    > On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Antipov Dmitry wrote:
    > > Jordan Crouse wrote:
    > >
    > >> Could you try a 2.6.26 kernel? That will confirm that this is a new
    > >> addition to 2.6.27.

    > > Both 2.6.26 and 2.6.26.6 looks good (with CONFIG_GEODE_MFGPT_TIMER=y).

    > Can you try the attached debug patch, it puts a printk message and
    > will let us know what exaclty is failing during the calibration
    > process.
    > There were some major changes in the 2.6.27 cycle related to tsc calibration.
    > Apart from the unification for 32 and 64bit, some checks were added in
    > the code to make the calibration process more robust, maybe this
    > specific machine is more prone to SMI's than other, as a result the
    > checks are a little to harsh for this one.
    >
    > Along with the dmesg with this patch, could you also let us know how
    > much is the frequency that the (2.6.26) kernel calibrates and what the
    > actual freuqency is on that box ?

    I just booted with 2.6.27.1 with high res timers on, and I can't recreate
    on a generic Geode box. The only difference is that my system doesn't
    have any MFGPT timers available, but that shouldn't matter if you have
    CONFIG_GEODE_MFGPT_TIMER turned off.

    Jordan

    --
    Jordan Crouse