Superpages Project - sourceforge.net/projects/linuxsuperpages - Kernel

This is a discussion on Superpages Project - sourceforge.net/projects/linuxsuperpages - Kernel ; A new project has been created at SourceForge with an implementation of the Rice University's Superpages FreeBSD prototype that has been ported to the 2.6 Linux kernel for IA64, x86-64, and x86-32. The project can be found at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxsuperpages The ...

  1. Superpages Project - sourceforge.net/projects/linuxsuperpages

    A new project has been created at SourceForge with an implementation of the Rice University's Superpages FreeBSD prototype that has been ported to the 2.6 Linux kernel for IA64, x86-64, and x86-32.

    The project can be found at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxsuperpages

    The major benefit of supporting Superpages is increased memory reach of the processor's TLB, which reduces the number of TLB misses in applications that have large data sets. Some benchmarks have been improved 20% in execution time.

    Reference www.cs.rice.edu/~jnavarro/superpages/ for more information about the Rice University's Superpages project.

    The project is being made available to the Open Source community to share the implementation and knowledge. With the enhancements to the x86 architectures to support multiple and large page sizes there should be increased interest in this functionality.

    /Tom

    Tom Wildman
    Hewlett-Packard Company
    200 Forest Street Phone: 978.841.7648
    Marlboro, MA 01752 Email: tom.wildman@hp.com

  2. Re: Superpages Project - sourceforge.net/projects/linuxsuperpages

    Wildman, Tom wrote:
    > A new project has been created at SourceForge with an implementation of the Rice University's Superpages FreeBSD prototype that has been ported to the 2.6 Linux kernel for IA64, x86-64, and x86-32.
    >
    > The project can be found at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxsuperpages

    Maybe I'm just struggling with the re-designed Sourceforge, but I can't
    find a link to the "Wiki section" mentioned in the summary.

    > The major benefit of supporting Superpages is increased memory reach of the processor's TLB, which reduces the number of TLB misses in applications that have large data sets. Some benchmarks have been improved 20% in execution time.
    >
    > Reference www.cs.rice.edu/~jnavarro/superpages/ for more information about the Rice University's Superpages project.
    >
    > The project is being made available to the Open Source community to share the implementation and knowledge. With the enhancements to the x86 architectures to support multiple and large page sizes there should be increased interest in this functionality.
    >
    > /Tom

  3. Re: Superpages Project - sourceforge.net/projects/linuxsuperpages

    On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:29, Alan Jenkins wrote:
    > Wildman, Tom wrote:
    >> A new project has been created at SourceForge with an implementation of the Rice University's Superpages FreeBSD prototype that has been ported to the 2.6 Linux kernel for IA64, x86-64, and x86-32.
    >>
    >> The project can be found at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxsuperpages
    >>

    > Maybe I'm just struggling with the re-designed Sourceforge, but I can't
    > find a link to the "Wiki section" mentioned in the summary.

    Click "More" in the menu bar, right of "Summary", "Tracker", "Forums",
    and "Download".

  4. RE: Superpages Project - sourceforge.net/projects/linuxsuperpages

    Alan,

    I agree that it is not easy to find so I will add a link to the wiki section on the front page (if possible).

    http://linuxsuperpages.wiki.sourceforge.net/

    /Tom

    > A new project has been created at SourceForge with an implementation of the Rice University's Superpages FreeBSD prototype that has been ported to the 2.6 Linux kernel for IA64, x86-64, and x86-32.
    >
    > The project can be found at:
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxsuperpages

    Maybe I'm just struggling with the re-designed Sourceforge, but I can't find a link to the "Wiki section" mentioned in the summary.

    > The major benefit of supporting Superpages is increased memory reach of the processor's TLB, which reduces the number of TLB misses in applications that have large data sets. Some benchmarks have been improved 20% in execution time.
    >
    > Reference www.cs.rice.edu/~jnavarro/superpages/ for more information about the Rice University's Superpages project.
    >
    > The project is being made available to the Open Source community to share the implementation and knowledge. With the enhancements to the x86 architectures to support multiple and large page sizes there should be increased interest in this functionality.
    >
    > /Tom

  5. Re: Superpages Project - sourceforge.net/projects/linuxsuperpages

    On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 01:51 +0000, Wildman, Tom wrote:
    > A new project has been created at SourceForge with an implementation
    > of the Rice University's Superpages FreeBSD prototype that has been
    > ported to the 2.6 Linux kernel for IA64, x86-64, and x86-32.
    >
    > The project can be found at:
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxsuperpages
    >
    > The major benefit of supporting Superpages is increased memory reach
    > of the processor's TLB, which reduces the number of TLB misses in
    > applications that have large data sets. Some benchmarks have been
    > improved 20% in execution time.
    >
    > Reference www.cs.rice.edu/~jnavarro/superpages/ for more information
    > about the Rice University's Superpages project.
    >
    > The project is being made available to the Open Source community to
    > share the implementation and knowledge. With the enhancements to the
    > x86 architectures to support multiple and large page sizes there
    > should be increased interest in this functionality.

    How are you proposing to address the fun issues like online compaction
    etc. ?

    Furthermore, what's the added advantage of dynamic superpages over
    exlpicit superpage support, eg. though the use of libhugetlb?

    Unless you realize online compaction and add a kind of extend allocation
    to the page allocator there will hardly ever be a situation where you
    can promote a page.

    All of which is rather expensive to do, changing the application might
    be easier and deliver better performance gains.