Please pull - generic HDLC - Kernel

This is a discussion on Please pull - generic HDLC - Kernel ; David, The following changes since commit f3073ac76755abd63b1d4c3d145f4c15b65b5355 (i.e., your netdev-2.6): Guennadi Liakhovetski (1): smc911x: Fix external PHY detection are available in the git repository at: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/chris/linux-2.6.git for-david Summary: a) generic HDLC includes that newer PPP code, and now, with all ...

  1. Please pull - generic HDLC

    David,

    The following changes since commit
    f3073ac76755abd63b1d4c3d145f4c15b65b5355 (i.e., your netdev-2.6):
    Guennadi Liakhovetski (1): smc911x: Fix external PHY detection

    are available in the git repository at:

    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/chris/linux-2.6.git for-david

    drivers ported, syncppp can finally be removed
    b) drivers for cards based on Hitachi/Renesas SCA and SCA-II chips are
    split and reworked. Means nothing or almost nothing to SCA-based
    cards (= ISA etc), and some updates including NAPI to PCI cards
    based on SCA-II (their are low speed but NAPI saves them when the
    card is being fed with a continuous stream of errors).
    c) the relevant part of Wang Chen's dev->priv conversion batch

    Posted on netdev, in "next" for months, all reported probles fixed.

    Please pull, TIA.

    Krzysztof Hałasa (15):
    WAN: split hd6457x.c into hd64570.c and hd64572.c
    WAN: remove SCA II support from SCA drivers
    WAN: remove SCA support from SCA-II drivers
    WAN: convert HD64572-based drivers to NAPI.
    WAN: TX-done handler now uses the ownership bit in HD64572 drivers.
    WAN: HD64572 already handles TX underruns with DMAC.
    WAN: rework HD64572 interrupts a bit.
    WAN: Simplify HD64572 status handling.
    WAN: don't print HD64572 driver versions anymore.
    WAN: Simplify HD64572 drivers.
    WAN: HD64572 drivers don't use next_desc() anymore.
    WAN: Correct comments in hd6457[02].c
    WAN: Simplify sca_init_port() in HD64572 driver.
    WAN: new synchronous PPP implementation for generic HDLC.
    WAN: syncppp.c is no longer used by any kernel code. Remove it.

    Wang Chen (2):
    netdevice hdlc: Convert directly reference of netdev->priv to netdev->ml_priv
    netdevice pc300: Convert directly reference of netdev->priv to netdev->ml_priv

    Documentation/DocBook/Makefile | 2 +-
    Documentation/DocBook/networking.tmpl | 3 -
    Documentation/DocBook/wanbook.tmpl | 99 --
    Documentation/networking/generic-hdlc.txt | 8 +-
    drivers/net/wan/Makefile | 2 +-
    drivers/net/wan/c101.c | 6 +-
    drivers/net/wan/{hd6457x.c => hd64570.c} | 254 ++----
    drivers/net/wan/hd64572.c | 641 +++++++++++++
    drivers/net/wan/hdlc_fr.c | 10 +-
    drivers/net/wan/hdlc_ppp.c | 648 ++++++++++++-
    drivers/net/wan/n2.c | 9 +-
    drivers/net/wan/pc300_drv.c | 17 +-
    drivers/net/wan/pc300too.c | 73 +-
    drivers/net/wan/pci200syn.c | 77 +-
    drivers/net/wan/syncppp.c | 1479 -----------------------------
    include/linux/hdlc.h | 2 +-
    include/net/syncppp.h | 102 --

    delete Documentation/DocBook/wanbook.tmpl
    rename drivers/net/wan/{hd6457x.c => hd64570.c} (78%)
    create drivers/net/wan/hd64572.c (hd6457x.c split into these two)
    delete drivers/net/wan/syncppp.c
    delete include/net/syncppp.h
    --
    Krzysztof Halasa

  2. Re: Please pull - generic HDLC

    From: Krzysztof Halasa
    Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:12:16 +0200

    > David,
    >
    > The following changes since commit
    > f3073ac76755abd63b1d4c3d145f4c15b65b5355 (i.e., your netdev-2.6):
    > Guennadi Liakhovetski (1): smc911x: Fix external PHY detection
    >
    > are available in the git repository at:
    >
    > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/chris/linux-2.6.git for-david

    You've missed the networking merge window, as I stated the other
    day I'm not taking any more networking changes.

    You should have merged this in earlier.

    --------------------
    Subject: preparing net-next-2.6 for merge...
    From: David Miller
    To: netdev@vger.kernel.org
    CC: linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org
    Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:29:37 -0700 (PDT)

    I'm doing some quick merge, build, and boot tests on the tree as it
    stands right now then I'll send a pull request to Linus.

    I'm sure there are some things people still wanted to get into the
    tree, but let's try to follow the rules this time. Only bug fixes
    and corrections at this point forward.

    Look at it this way, I have tons of stuff I wasn't able to finish up
    in time either, so both the rule and the pain and being applied fairly
    :-)

    Anyways, just FYI...

  3. Re: Please pull - generic HDLC

    David Miller writes:

    > You've missed the networking merge window, as I stated the other
    > day I'm not taking any more networking changes.
    >
    > You should have merged this in earlier.

    I was under impression the window is still two weeks long, isn't it?

    Anyway, it doesn't matter - I understand I have to resend this request
    in two weeks, for "next"? Sure.
    --
    Krzysztof Halasa

  4. Re: Please pull - generic HDLC

    On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 02:47:04PM -0700, David Miller wrote:
    > From: Krzysztof Halasa
    > Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:12:16 +0200
    >
    > > David,
    > >
    > > The following changes since commit
    > > f3073ac76755abd63b1d4c3d145f4c15b65b5355 (i.e., your netdev-2.6):
    > > Guennadi Liakhovetski (1): smc911x: Fix external PHY detection
    > >
    > > are available in the git repository at:
    > >
    > > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/chris/linux-2.6.git for-david

    > You've missed the networking merge window, as I stated the other
    > day I'm not taking any more networking changes.
    >
    > You should have merged this in earlier.

    Ignoring whether it will go into 2.6.28 or 2.6.29 there seems to be a
    more fundamental issue:

    The over 3 weeks old -next already contains mostly the same as the HDLC
    tree contains now.

    The thing you two should sort out is why the tree ended up as an own
    tree in -next instead of pull requests to David long ago.

    E.g. the netdev and wireless trees also don't go into -next, but instead
    with frequent pull requests to David.

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

  5. Re: Please pull - generic HDLC

    Adrian Bunk writes:

    > The over 3 weeks old -next already contains mostly the same as the HDLC
    > tree contains now.
    >
    > The thing you two should sort out is why the tree ended up as an own
    > tree in -next instead of pull requests to David long ago.
    >
    > E.g. the netdev and wireless trees also don't go into -next, but instead
    > with frequent pull requests to David.

    I can't see any problem with this, is there any?

    I want the HDLC tree tested in next before it's merged upstream
    (= David's tree(s)). I don't want to push crap upstream first and
    only then try to fix it (though a bug still slips in sometimes).
    --
    Krzysztof Halasa

  6. Re: Please pull - generic HDLC

    From: Krzysztof Halasa
    Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 16:53:17 +0200

    > Adrian Bunk writes:
    >
    > > The over 3 weeks old -next already contains mostly the same as the HDLC
    > > tree contains now.
    > >
    > > The thing you two should sort out is why the tree ended up as an own
    > > tree in -next instead of pull requests to David long ago.
    > >
    > > E.g. the netdev and wireless trees also don't go into -next, but instead
    > > with frequent pull requests to David.

    > I can't see any problem with this, is there any?
    >
    > I want the HDLC tree tested in next before it's merged upstream
    > (= David's tree(s)). I don't want to push crap upstream first and
    > only then try to fix it (though a bug still slips in sometimes).

    You're supposed to have your changes merged into the relevant
    subsystem tree long before Linus's merge window opens up.

    That's how it is meant to work.

    What I'm doing with networking is nothing special.

    So please be punctual and merge early and often to Jeff and
    myself, so that you don't miss the merge window in the future.