Whats going on? (somebody can say something?) - Kernel

This is a discussion on Whats going on? (somebody can say something?) - Kernel ; Hello list, Good day for everibody. I have one problem with my new linux box. (again) The hw is tested. (memtest86, 4 days) The samba freezed and makes 40 load. All what i am using is in-kernel solution, excepting samba. ...

  1. Whats going on? (somebody can say something?)

    Hello list,

    Good day for everibody.

    I have one problem with my new linux box. (again)
    The hw is tested. (memtest86, 4 days)

    The samba freezed and makes 40 load.

    All what i am using is in-kernel solution, excepting samba.

    libata ->bock -> raid -> cryptoloop -> xfs -> [samba] ->eth

    The log file is here:

    http://download.netcenter.hu/bughunt/20080925/messages

    some points:
    Sep 24 01:15:58 - Sep 24 01:19:16 -> i have repaired the 2 xfs on loop0 and
    loop1Sep 24 14:18:00 -> only a little interesting time, when the first bug
    was issued. (cron?)Sep 25 21:47:39 -> i have logged in.Sep 25 21:50:50 -> i
    have forced the sysreq from script to make some more debug information.(I
    have saved the lsof too if somebody interested.)Any help will be
    appreciated.Thanks a lot,Janos Haar

  2. Re: Whats going on? (somebody can say something?)

    Janos Haar wrote:
    > Hello list,
    >
    > Good day for everibody.
    >
    > I have one problem with my new linux box. (again)
    > The hw is tested. (memtest86, 4 days)

    I don't have any suggestions for your specific problem, but I can give
    some suggestions that might make it easier to get help.

    In the future, please include a more meaningful subject line. This
    mailing list has a lot of traffic, and people often skip messages that
    aren't obviously related to what they're working on.

    It is usually useful to specify which exact kernel version you're using.

    Chris

  3. Re: Whats going on? (somebody can say something?)

    Thank you Chris!

    Next time i will do that. :-)

    Additionally, sorry for the list as well.

    Thanks,
    Janos Haar

    >> I have one problem with my new linux box. (again)
    >> The hw is tested. (memtest86, 4 days)

    > I don't have any suggestions for your specific problem, but I can give
    > some suggestions that might make it easier to get help.
    >
    > In the future, please include a more meaningful subject line. This
    > mailing list has a lot of traffic, and people often skip messages that
    > aren't obviously related to what they're working on.
    >
    > It is usually useful to specify which exact kernel version you're using.
    >
    > Chris

  4. Re: Whats going on? (somebody can say something?)

    On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 2:27 AM, Janos Haar wrote:
    > Hello list,
    >
    > Good day for everibody.
    >
    > I have one problem with my new linux box. (again)
    > The hw is tested. (memtest86, 4 days)
    >
    > The samba freezed and makes 40 load.
    >
    > All what i am using is in-kernel solution, excepting samba.
    >
    > libata ->bock -> raid -> cryptoloop -> xfs -> [samba] ->eth

    That's pretty much guaranteed to crash if you're using 4k stacks. Are you?

    > The log file is here:
    > http://download.netcenter.hu/bughunt/20080925/messages

    You have oopses in that log, but didn't mention them in your email or
    include them within. Please read the reporting bugs document in the
    kernel tree to see a better way to get the attention of those who
    should be looking at your problem.

    Good luck.

  5. Re: Whats going on? (somebody can say something?)

    On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 11:27:27AM +0200, Janos Haar wrote:
    > Hello list,
    >
    > Good day for everibody.
    >
    > I have one problem with my new linux box. (again)
    > The hw is tested. (memtest86, 4 days)
    >
    > The samba freezed and makes 40 load.
    >
    > All what i am using is in-kernel solution, excepting samba.
    >
    > libata ->bock -> raid -> cryptoloop -> xfs -> [samba] ->eth
    >
    > The log file is here:
    >
    > http://download.netcenter.hu/bughunt/20080925/messages
    >
    > some points:
    > Sep 24 01:15:58 - Sep 24 01:19:16 -> i have repaired the 2 xfs on loop0
    > and loop1Sep 24 14:18:00 -> only a little interesting time, when the
    > first bug was issued. (cron?)Sep 25 21:47:39 -> i have logged in.Sep 25
    > 21:50:50 -> i have forced the sysreq from script to make some more debug
    > information.(I have saved the lsof too if somebody interested.)Any help
    > will be appreciated.Thanks a lot,Janos Haar

    What kernel?

    I have seen all those XFS oops/stack traces before. With the last
    pull request to linus for 2.6.27-rc7, all known causes of the btree
    corruption reported in your log messages should be fixed. I guess
    you'll have to wait for 2.6.27-rc8 or 2.6.28 for them....

    FWIW, next time you have XFS issues, please make it clear in the
    subject line and cc xfs@oss.sgi.com.

    Cheers,

    Dave.
    --
    Dave Chinner
    david@fromorbit.com

  6. Re: Whats going on? (somebody can say something?)

    > On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 2:27 AM, Janos Haar wrote:
    >> Hello list,
    >>
    >> Good day for everibody.
    >>
    >> I have one problem with my new linux box. (again)
    >> The hw is tested. (memtest86, 4 days)
    >>
    >> The samba freezed and makes 40 load.
    >>
    >> All what i am using is in-kernel solution, excepting samba.
    >>
    >> libata ->bock -> raid -> cryptoloop -> xfs -> [samba] ->eth

    > That's pretty much guaranteed to crash if you're using 4k stacks. Are you?

    No. :-)
    I know this.

    >> The log file is here:
    >> http://download.netcenter.hu/bughunt/20080925/messages

    > You have oopses in that log, but didn't mention them in your email or
    > include them within. Please read the reporting bugs document in the
    > kernel tree to see a better way to get the attention of those who
    > should be looking at your problem.
    >
    > Good luck.

    Thank you.
    If i will have a little time, i will do that....

    Thanks,
    Janos Haar

  7. Re: Whats going on? (somebody can say something?)

    > On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 11:27:27AM +0200, Janos Haar wrote:
    >> Hello list,
    >>
    >> Good day for everibody.
    >>
    >> I have one problem with my new linux box. (again)
    >> The hw is tested. (memtest86, 4 days)
    >>
    >> The samba freezed and makes 40 load.
    >>
    >> All what i am using is in-kernel solution, excepting samba.
    >>
    >> libata ->bock -> raid -> cryptoloop -> xfs -> [samba] ->eth
    >>
    >> The log file is here:
    >>
    >> http://download.netcenter.hu/bughunt/20080925/messages
    >>
    >> some points:
    >> Sep 24 01:15:58 - Sep 24 01:19:16 -> i have repaired the 2 xfs on loop0
    >> and loop1Sep 24 14:18:00 -> only a little interesting time, when the
    >> first bug was issued. (cron?)Sep 25 21:47:39 -> i have logged in.Sep 25
    >> 21:50:50 -> i have forced the sysreq from script to make some more debug
    >> information.(I have saved the lsof too if somebody interested.)Any help
    >> will be appreciated.Thanks a lot,Janos Haar

    > What kernel?

    Linux version 2.6.26.2 (root@gl-albth) (gcc version 4.1.1 20061011 (Red Hat
    4.1.1-30)) #2 SMP Sun Aug 10 00:00:15 CEST 2008

    > I have seen all those XFS oops/stack traces before. With the last
    > pull request to linus for 2.6.27-rc7, all known causes of the btree
    > corruption reported in your log messages should be fixed. I guess
    > you'll have to wait for 2.6.27-rc8 or 2.6.28 for them....

    unfortunately, i can't wait for this, and don't want to step back in the
    versions, this is a productive box. :-(
    This time i forced to use another FS, but nex time i will check again with
    xfs.

    > FWIW, next time you have XFS issues, please make it clear in the
    > subject line and cc xfs@oss.sgi.com.

    Ok, Thank you.

    Thanks,
    Janos Haar