linux-next: Tree for August 20 - Kernel

This is a discussion on linux-next: Tree for August 20 - Kernel ; Hi all, Changes since next-20080819: New tree: xtensa The kmemcheck tree gained a trivial conflict against the slab tree. I have also applied the following patches for known problems: Add cuImage.mpc866ads to the bootwrapper as a cuboot-8xx target ttydev: fix ...

  1. linux-next: Tree for August 20

    Hi all,

    Changes since next-20080819:

    New tree: xtensa

    The kmemcheck tree gained a trivial conflict against the slab tree.

    I have also applied the following patches for known problems:

    Add cuImage.mpc866ads to the bootwrapper as a cuboot-8xx target
    ttydev: fix for tty-fix-shutdown
    ucb1400 - Remove unneeded inclusion

    I have created today's linux-next tree at
    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git
    (patches at
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...fr/linux-next/). If you
    are tracking the linux-next tree using git, you should not use "git pull"
    to do so as that will try to merge the new linux-next release with the
    old one. You should use "git fetch" as mentioned in the FAQ on the wiki
    (see below).

    You can see which trees have been included by looking in the Next/Trees
    file in the source. There are also quilt-import.log and merge.log files
    in the Next directory. Between each merge, the tree was built with
    a ppc64_defconfig for powerpc and an allmodconfig for x86_64. After the
    final fixups, it is also built with powerpc allnoconfig,
    44x_defconfig and allyesconfig and i386, sparc and sparc64 defconfig.

    Below is a summary of the state of the merge.

    We are up to 111 trees (counting Linus' and 14 trees of patches pending for
    Linus' tree), more are welcome (even if they are currently empty).
    Thanks to those who have contributed, and to those who haven't, please do.

    Status of my local build tests will be at
    http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/linux-next . If maintainers want to give
    advice about cross compilers/configs that work, we are always open to add
    more builds.

    Thanks to Jan Dittmer for adding the linux-next tree to his build tests
    at http://l4x.org/k/ , the guys at http://test.kernel.org/ and Randy
    Dunlap for doing many randconfig builds.

    There is a wiki covering stuff to do with linux-next at
    http://linux.f-seidel.de/linux-next/pmwiki/ . Thanks to Frank Seidel.

    --
    Cheers,
    Stephen Rothwell sfr@canb.auug.org.au

    $ git checkout master
    $ git reset --hard stable
    Merging origin/master
    Merging powerpc-merge/merge
    Merging scsi-rc-fixes/master
    Merging net-current/master
    Merging sparc-current/master
    Merging sound-current/for-linus
    Merging arm-current/master
    Merging pci-current/for-linus
    Merging wireless-current/master
    Merging kbuild-current/master
    Merging quilt/driver-core.current
    Merging quilt/usb.current
    Merging cpufreq-current/fixes
    Merging input-current/for-linus
    Merging md-current/for-2.6.26
    Merging dwmw2/master
    Merging quilt/driver-core
    Merging quilt/usb
    Merging tip-core/auto-core-next
    Merging cpus4096/auto-cpus4096-next
    Merging ftrace/auto-ftrace-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in kernel/module.c
    Merging genirq/auto-genirq-next
    Merging safe-poison-pointers/auto-safe-poison-pointers-next
    Merging sched/auto-sched-next
    Merging stackprotector/auto-stackprotector-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in kernel/fork.c
    Merging timers/auto-timers-next
    Merging x86/auto-x86-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/asm-x86/pda.h
    Merging pci/linux-next
    Merging quilt/device-mapper
    Merging hid/mm
    Merging quilt/i2c
    Merging quilt/jdelvare-hwmon
    Merging quilt/kernel-doc
    Merging avr32/avr32-arch
    Merging v4l-dvb/stable
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/media/video/zr364xx.c
    Merging s390/features
    Merging sh/master
    Merging jfs/next
    Merging kbuild/master
    Merging quilt/ide
    Merging libata/NEXT
    Merging nfs/linux-next
    Merging xfs/master
    Merging infiniband/for-next
    Merging acpi/test
    Merging blackfin/for-linus
    Merging nfsd/nfsd-next
    Merging ieee1394/for-next
    Merging ubi/linux-next
    Merging kvm/master
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/asm-x86/kvm.h
    Merging dlm/next
    Merging scsi/master
    Merging ia64/test
    Merging tests/master
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lib/Kconfig.debug
    Merging ocfs2/linux-next
    Merging quilt/m68k
    Merging powerpc/powerpc-next
    Merging ext4/next
    Merging 4xx/next
    Merging async_tx/next
    Merging udf/for_next
    Merging net/master
    Merging sparc/master
    Merging galak/powerpc-next
    Merging mtd/master
    Merging wireless/master
    Merging crypto/master
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/asm-x86/cpufeature.h
    Merging vfs/for-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/ia64/ia32/sys_ia32.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/powerpc/kernel/sys_ppc32.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in fs/nfsd/export.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in fs/xfs/linux-2.6/xfs_export.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in fs/xfs/linux-2.6/xfs_iops.c
    Merging sound/for-next
    Merging arm/devel
    Applying ucb1400: restore NO_IRQ definition
    Merging cpufreq/next
    Merging v9fs/for-next
    Merging quilt/rr
    Merging cifs/master
    Merging mmc/next
    Merging gfs2/master
    Merging input/next
    Applying input/cm109: fix up for info() removal
    Merging semaphore/semaphore
    Merging semaphore-removal/semaphore-removal
    Merging bkl-removal/bkl-removal
    Merging trivial/next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in Documentation/edac.txt
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/linux/securebits.h
    Merging ubifs/linux-next
    Merging lsm/for-next
    Merging block/for-next
    Merging embedded/master
    Merging firmware/master
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/Kconfig
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/Makefile
    Merging pcmcia/master
    Merging battery/master
    Merging leds/for-mm
    Merging backlight/for-mm
    Merging kgdb/kgdb-next
    Merging slab/for-next
    Merging m68knommu/for-next
    Merging uclinux/for-next
    Merging md/for-next
    Merging cris/for-next
    Merging kmemcheck/auto-kmemcheck-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in MAINTAINERS
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/kernel/process_64.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/kernel/traps_64.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in mm/Makefile
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in mm/slab.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in mm/slub.c
    Merging generic-ipi/auto-generic-ipi-next
    Merging mips/mips-for-linux-next
    Merging mfd/for-next
    Merging hdlc/hdlc-next
    Merging drm/drm-next
    Merging voltage/reg-for-linus
    Merging security-testing/next
    Merging lblnet/master
    Merging quilt/ttydev
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/net/usb/hso.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/usb/serial/safe_serial.c
    Merging agp/agp-next
    Merging creds/next-creds
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in fs/namespace.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in fs/nfsd/nfs4recover.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in fs/xfs/linux-2.6/xfs_linux.h
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in fs/xfs/xfs_inode.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in fs/xfs/xfs_vnodeops.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/linux/capability.h
    CONFLICT (add/add): Merge conflict in include/linux/cred.h
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in kernel/exit.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in kernel/fork.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in security/commoncap.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in security/selinux/hooks.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in security/smack/smack_lsm.c
    Merging oprofile/auto-oprofile-next
    Merging fastboot/auto-fastboot-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/linux/init.h
    Merging xtensa/master
    Applying Add cuImage.mpc866ads to the bootwrapper as a cuboot-8xx target
    Applying ttydev: fix for tty-fix-shutdown
    Applying ucb1400 - Remove unneeded inclusion

  2. Re: linux-next: Tree for August 20

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:06:49 +1000
    Stephen Rothwell wrote:

    > I have created today's linux-next tree at
    > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git

    drivers/usb/atm/usbatm.c: In function 'usbatm_extract_one_cell':
    drivers/usb/atm/usbatm.c:347: error: implicit declaration of function 'warn'

    due to

    #define UDSL_ASSERT(x) do { if (!(x)) warn("failed assertion '%s' at line %d", __stringify(x), __LINE__); } while(0)

    which was quite clever really - neither drivers/usb/atm/usbatm.c nor
    drivers/usb/atm/usbatm.h was changed.

    config: http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/config-akpm2.txt (it's x86_64)

  3. Re: linux-next: Tree for August 20

    On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 02:36:56PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:06:49 +1000
    > Stephen Rothwell wrote:
    >
    > > I have created today's linux-next tree at
    > > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git

    > drivers/usb/atm/usbatm.c: In function 'usbatm_extract_one_cell':
    > drivers/usb/atm/usbatm.c:347: error: implicit declaration of function 'warn'
    >
    > due to
    >
    > #define UDSL_ASSERT(x) do { if (!(x)) warn("failed assertion '%s' at line %d", __stringify(x), __LINE__); } while(0)
    >
    > which was quite clever really - neither drivers/usb/atm/usbatm.c nor
    > drivers/usb/atm/usbatm.h was changed.
    >
    > config: http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/config-akpm2.txt (it's x86_64)

    This was already fixed up, it was getting warn() from usb.h, which I'm
    getting rid of. dev_warn() should be used instead.

    thanks,

    greg k-h