Re: 22bb1be4d27... breaks hal (and NM) - Kernel

This is a discussion on Re: 22bb1be4d27... breaks hal (and NM) - Kernel ; Andrew Morton wrote: > : +config WIRELESS_EXT_SYSFS > : + bool "Wireless extensions sysfs files" > : + default y > : + depends on WIRELESS_EXT && SYSFS > : + help > : + This option enables the deprecated ...

  1. Re: 22bb1be4d27... breaks hal (and NM)

    Andrew Morton wrote:
    > : +config WIRELESS_EXT_SYSFS
    > : + bool "Wireless extensions sysfs files"
    > : + default y
    > : + depends on WIRELESS_EXT && SYSFS
    > : + help
    > : + This option enables the deprecated wireless statistics
    > : + files in /sys/class/net/*/wireless/. The same information
    > : + is available via the ioctls as well.
    > : +
    > : + Say Y if you have programs using it (we don't know of any).
    > :
    >
    > So if you've enabled CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT_SYSFS (and it correctly has
    > default y) then things should continue to work OK. And the deprecation
    > date of 2010 sounds reasonable. In fact generous, for us...
    >
    > So where's the problem?

    The Kconfig message implies that nobody uses the files. It needs to be
    updated to state that older versions of HAL do use them (and ideally
    what version this was changed).

  2. Re: 22bb1be4d27... breaks hal (and NM)

    On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:13 PM, Robert Han**** wrote:
    > Andrew Morton wrote:
    >>
    >> : +config WIRELESS_EXT_SYSFS
    >> : + bool "Wireless extensions sysfs files"
    >> : + default y
    >> : + depends on WIRELESS_EXT && SYSFS
    >> : + help
    >> : + This option enables the deprecated wireless statistics
    >> : + files in /sys/class/net/*/wireless/. The same information
    >> : + is available via the ioctls as well.
    >> : +
    >> : + Say Y if you have programs using it (we don't know of any).
    >> :
    >> So if you've enabled CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT_SYSFS (and it correctly has
    >> default y) then things should continue to work OK. And the deprecation
    >> date of 2010 sounds reasonable. In fact generous, for us...
    >>
    >> So where's the problem?

    > The Kconfig message implies that nobody uses the files. It needs to be
    > updated to state that older versions of HAL do use them (and ideally what
    > version this was changed).

    I was also lured by the Kconfig text, so I changed the default, but
    have noticed no breakage so far.

    [asuardi@sandman linux-2.6.26-git11]$ grep WIRELESS_EXT .config
    CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT=y
    # CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT_SYSFS is not set
    [asuardi@sandman linux-2.6.26-git11]$ rpm -q hal
    hal-0.5.11-2.fc9.i386

    Is it because Fedora 9 hal is new enough or because I didn't do anything
    to trigger the breakage ? Just curious.

    --alessandro

    "Give me love / Or give me hate
    Give me anything that's not just ok"