Re: HP (Compaq) Smart Array 5xxx controller SCSI driver - Kernel

This is a discussion on Re: HP (Compaq) Smart Array 5xxx controller SCSI driver - Kernel ; On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:32:45AM +0900, FUJITA Tomonori wrote: > CC'ed linux-scsi, why did you drop it? You mean my SCSI cciss driver? For a few reasons: At the time, it was just kind of a learning exercise, ...

  1. Re: HP (Compaq) Smart Array 5xxx controller SCSI driver

    On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:32:45AM +0900, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
    > CC'ed linux-scsi, why did you drop it?

    You mean my SCSI cciss driver? For a few reasons:

    At the time, it was just kind of a learning exercise, and I
    didn't see it as supplanting the existing driver. I didn't know
    enough about udev to know that a smooth transition process
    was perhaps possible, and it seemed very disruptive. And,
    seeing as how I work for HP, it isn't exactly within my
    authority to just decide by myself the course the driver
    development should take. Paradoxically, if a person works
    for a company that has nothing to do with the driver, one
    has more freedom to do whatever one wants with the code.

    With help from udev it is less disruptive, but I'm still unsure
    about how smoothly such a change will fit in with the installation
    process of various distributions.

    I will see if management here will let me send you the patches
    from when I last looked at this, which was a little over a year ago.
    (2.6.20 timeframe), not necessarily to use as is, but in case
    maybe it helps to see how somebody else proceeded.

    As for the patches I mentioned which were previously ignored
    for improving how the current cciss SCSI code handled hot
    plogging, if you're curious about that, check here:

    http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=120213565000426&w=4

    A change like that becomes more important if logical drives
    are exposed through the scsi layer.

    -- steve

  2. Re: HP (Compaq) Smart Array 5xxx controller SCSI driver

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:30:12 -0500
    scameron@beardog.cca.cpqcorp.net wrote:

    > On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:32:45AM +0900, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
    > > CC'ed linux-scsi, why did you drop it?

    > You mean my SCSI cciss driver? For a few reasons:

    Ah, I just meant that you dropped linux-scsi mailing list in the
    previous mail though I sent my first RFC mail to linux-kernel and
    linux-scsi.

    > With help from udev it is less disruptive, but I'm still unsure
    > about how smoothly such a change will fit in with the installation
    > process of various distributions.

    They need to make sure that udev cciss rules match with the kernel
    configuration but I don't think it's difficult.

    > As for the patches I mentioned which were previously ignored
    > for improving how the current cciss SCSI code handled hot
    > plogging, if you're curious about that, check here:
    >
    > http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=120213565000426&w=4
    >
    > A change like that becomes more important if logical drives
    > are exposed through the scsi layer.

    We need to think about the best way to map (expose) logical and
    physical drivers to SCSI luns. As I wrote before, I'm interested in
    how HP SCSI driver does.

  3. Re: HP (Compaq) Smart Array 5xxx controller SCSI driver

    On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:44:03PM +0900, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:30:12 -0500
    > scameron@beardog.cca.cpqcorp.net wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:32:45AM +0900, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
    > > > CC'ed linux-scsi, why did you drop it?

    > > You mean my SCSI cciss driver? For a few reasons:

    > Ah, I just meant that you dropped linux-scsi mailing list in the
    > previous mail though I sent my first RFC mail to linux-kernel and
    > linux-scsi.

    [...]

    Oh, oops. I didn't drop it on purpose. Sorry about that.

    -- steve

  4. RE: HP (Compaq) Smart Array 5xxx controller SCSI driver

    > > As for the patches I mentioned which were previously ignored for
    > > improving how the current cciss SCSI code handled hot plogging, if
    > > you're curious about that, check here:
    > >
    > > http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=120213565000426&w=4
    > >
    > > A change like that becomes more important if logical drives are
    > > exposed through the scsi layer.

    > We need to think about the best way to map (expose) logical
    > and physical drivers to SCSI luns. As I wrote before, I'm
    > interested in how HP SCSI driver does.

    We don't neccesarily want or need to expose the physical disks. The only exception is disks that are not part of a logical volume. If the disks are part of a logical volume but exposed the user may shoot themselves in the foot by destroying the firmware metadata.

    -- mikem

  5. RE: HP (Compaq) Smart Array 5xxx controller SCSI driver

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:00:00 +0000
    "Miller, Mike (OS Dev)" wrote:

    > > > As for the patches I mentioned which were previously ignored for
    > > > improving how the current cciss SCSI code handled hot plogging, if
    > > > you're curious about that, check here:
    > > >
    > > > http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=120213565000426&w=4
    > > >
    > > > A change like that becomes more important if logical drives are
    > > > exposed through the scsi layer.

    > > We need to think about the best way to map (expose) logical
    > > and physical drivers to SCSI luns. As I wrote before, I'm
    > > interested in how HP SCSI driver does.

    > We don't neccesarily want or need to expose the physical disks. The only exception is disks that are not part of a logical volume. If the disks are part of a logical volume but exposed the user may shoot themselves in the foot by destroying the firmware metadata.

    Oops, sorry, I meant physical tape drives.

  6. Re: HP (Compaq) Smart Array 5xxx controller SCSI driver

    In case it is of interest, here are the patches
    to the 2.6.20.4 kernel which make a SCSI Smart Array
    driver that I did in April of 2007. I called the
    driver "hpsa", for HP Smart Array.

    https://sourceforge.net/project/show...kage_id=285296

    I made these patches on a system which was booted from
    a SmartArray 6400 using the cciss driver, so the first
    patch disables cciss support in the cciss driver for the P800,
    and the resulting SCSI driver supports only the Smartarray P800,
    as I was doing the SCSI driver development on a P800 I had in
    the system. That's the only reason that stuff is in
    there in the 1st patch.

    Because of the way the first few patches move files around,
    these probably aren't particularly useful directly as patches
    (and of course, they're for an old kernel anyway), but might
    be useful as an illustration of one way things might be done.

    -- steve

  7. RE: HP (Compaq) Smart Array 5xxx controller SCSI driver

    On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 15:00 +0000, Miller, Mike (OS Dev) wrote:
    > > > As for the patches I mentioned which were previously ignored for
    > > > improving how the current cciss SCSI code handled hot plogging, if
    > > > you're curious about that, check here:
    > > >
    > > > http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=120213565000426&w=4
    > > >
    > > > A change like that becomes more important if logical drives are
    > > > exposed through the scsi layer.

    > > We need to think about the best way to map (expose) logical
    > > and physical drivers to SCSI luns. As I wrote before, I'm
    > > interested in how HP SCSI driver does.

    > We don't neccesarily want or need to expose the physical disks. The
    > only exception is disks that are not part of a logical volume. If the
    > disks are part of a logical volume but exposed the user may shoot
    > themselves in the foot by destroying the firmware metadata.

    Exposing the underlying disks can be useful for things such as:

    * Finding out what is in a logical drive.
    * Checking and updating disk firmware.
    * Running smartctrl tests on disks

    > -- mikem
    > --

    Andrew Patterson
    Hewlett-Packard

  8. RE: HP (Compaq) Smart Array 5xxx controller SCSI driver

    Tomo,
    I patched your driver into the 2.6.27-rc1 kernel. After compiling the driver I get:

    [root@testmonkey linux-2.6]# insmod drivers/scsi/ciss.ko
    insmod: error inserting 'drivers/scsi/ciss.ko': -1 Invalid module format

    [root@testmonkey linux-2.6]# gcc --version
    gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)

    [root@testmonkey linux-2.6]# uname -r
    2.6.26

    I built inside the tree. Any thoughts?

    -- mikem

  9. RE: HP (Compaq) Smart Array 5xxx controller SCSI driver

    On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 19:04:54 +0000
    "Miller, Mike (OS Dev)" wrote:

> [...]

    You can get an error message here from `dmseg`, I think.

    > [root@testmonkey linux-2.6]# gcc --version
    > gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)
    >
    > [root@testmonkey linux-2.6]# uname -r
    > 2.6.26
    >
    > I built inside the tree. Any thoughts?

    Seems that you try to do insmod a module built for 2.6.27-rc1 into
    2.6.26?

  10. RE: HP (Compaq) Smart Array 5xxx controller SCSI driver

    Duh. Well that was pretty stupid.