linux-next: Tree for July 21 - Kernel

This is a discussion on linux-next: Tree for July 21 - Kernel ; Hi all, It looks like Greg KH is collecting all the conflicts into the driver-core tree and we should thank him for his sacrifice. :-) Changes since next-20080718: Temporarily dropped tree: acpi (confusion about its source). The s390 tree was ...

  1. linux-next: Tree for July 21

    Hi all,

    It looks like Greg KH is collecting all the conflicts into the
    driver-core tree and we should thank him for his sacrifice. :-)

    Changes since next-20080718:

    Temporarily dropped tree: acpi (confusion about its source).

    The s390 tree was not able to be fetched (network problem).

    The net-current tree gained a build failure which has already been fixed
    upstream.

    The x86 tree lost a conflicts and its build problem.

    The v4l-dvb tree lost a conflict.

    The ide tree lost a large number of conflicts against Lunus' tree but
    inherited a couple from the sparc tree.

    The kvm tree lost a couple of conflicts.

    The ocfs2 tree lost its conflicts against Linus' tree.

    The net tree lost its conflicts.

    The sparc tree lost its conflicts.

    The vfs tree lost its conflicts with the mips and security-testing trees.

    The rr tree lost tree of its conflicts.

    The kmemcheck tree gained a conflict against the rr tree.

    The ttydev tree gained a conflict against the usb tree.

    I have also applied the following patches for known problems:

    sparc64: sysdev API change fallout

    This tree fails to build for ARCH=sparc (i.e. 32bit) with a 64bit gcc
    v3.4.5 - it tries to use the 64bit header files. This may be an artifact
    of one of my merge fixups, but I don't actually think so.

    I have created today's linux-next tree at
    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git
    (patches at
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...fr/linux-next/). If you
    are tracking the linux-next tree using git, you should not use "git pull"
    to do so as that will try to merge the new linux-next release with the
    old one. You should use "git fetch" as mentioned in the FAQ on the wiki
    (see below).

    You can see which trees have been included by looking in the Next/Trees
    file in the source. There are also quilt-import.log and merge.log files
    in the Next directory. Between each merge, the tree was built with
    a ppc64_defconfig for powerpc and an allmodconfig for x86_64. After the
    final fixups, it is also built with powerpc allnoconfig,
    44x_defconfig and allyesconfig and i386, sparc and sparc64 defconfig.

    Below is a summary of the state of the merge.

    We are up to 105 trees (counting Linus' and 14 trees of patches pending for
    Linus' tree), more are welcome (even if they are currently empty).
    Thanks to those who have contributed, and to those who haven't, please do.

    Status of my local build tests will be at
    http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/linux-next . If maintainers want to give
    advice about cross compilers/configs that work, we are always open to add
    more builds.

    Thanks to Jan Dittmer for adding the linux-next tree to his build tests
    at http://l4x.org/k/ , the guys at http://test.kernel.org/ and Randy
    Dunlap for doing many randconfig builds.

    There is a wiki covering stuff to do with linux-next at
    http://linux.f-seidel.de/linux-next/pmwiki/ . Thanks to Frank Seidel.

    --
    Cheers,
    Stephen Rothwell sfr@canb.auug.org.au

    $ git checkout master
    $ git reset --hard stable
    Merging origin/master
    Merging powerpc-merge/merge
    Merging scsi-rc-fixes/master
    Merging net-current/master
    Applying net: fix schedule breakage
    Merging sparc-current/master
    Merging sound-current/for-linus
    Merging arm-current/master
    Merging pci-current/for-linus
    Merging wireless-current/master
    Merging kbuild-current/master
    Merging quilt/driver-core.current
    Merging quilt/usb.current
    Merging cpufreq-current/fixes
    Merging input-current/for-linus
    Merging md-current/for-2.6.26
    Merging quilt/driver-core
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/arm/kernel/time.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/sparc64/kernel/pci.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/kernel/traps_32.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/kernel/traps_64.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/base/topology.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/i2c/i2c-core.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/block/dasd.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/block/dasd_eckd.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/block/dasd_fba.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/char/tape_core.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/cio/device_fsm.c
    CONFLICT (delete/modify): drivers/s390/cio/qdio.c deleted in HEAD and modified in quilt/driver-core. Version quilt/driver-core of drivers/s390/cio/qdio.c left in tree.
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/net/claw.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/net/ctcm_main.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/net/lcs.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/net/netiucv.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/scsi/zfcp_aux.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/scsi/zfcp_def.h
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/linux/device.h
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in sound/pci/maestro3.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in sound/pci/ymfpci/ymfpci_main.c
    $ git rm drivers/s390/cio/qdio.c
    Applying scsi: fix fallout from the class_find_device API change
    Applying scsi: fix fallout from KOBJ_NAME_LEN removal
    Merging quilt/usb
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/usb/gadget/ether.c
    CONFLICT (delete/modify): drivers/usb/serial/io_fw_down3.h deleted in HEAD and modified in quilt/usb. Version quilt/usb of drivers/usb/serial/io_fw_down3.h left in tree.
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/usb/serial/io_ti.c
    CONFLICT (delete/modify): drivers/usb/serial/ti_fw_3410.h deleted in HEAD and modified in quilt/usb. Version quilt/usb of drivers/usb/serial/ti_fw_3410.h left in tree.
    CONFLICT (delete/modify): drivers/usb/serial/ti_fw_5052.h deleted in HEAD and modified in quilt/usb. Version quilt/usb of drivers/usb/serial/ti_fw_5052.h left in tree.
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/usb/serial/ti_usb_3410_5052.c
    $ git reset --hard
    $ git checkout -b tmp quilt/usb
    Created commit d286310: Revert "USB: io_ti: FIrst cut at a big clean up"
    $ git checkout master
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/usb/gadget/ether.c
    CONFLICT (delete/modify): drivers/usb/serial/ti_fw_3410.h deleted in HEAD and modified in tmp. Version tmp of drivers/usb/serial/ti_fw_3410.h left in tree.
    CONFLICT (delete/modify): drivers/usb/serial/ti_fw_5052.h deleted in HEAD and modified in tmp. Version tmp of drivers/usb/serial/ti_fw_5052.h left in tree.
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/usb/serial/ti_usb_3410_5052.c
    $ git rm drivers/usb/serial/ti_fw_3410.h drivers/usb/serial/ti_fw_5052.h
    Applying pci: usb fixup 1
    Merging tip-core/auto-core-next
    Merging cpus4096/auto-cpus4096-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/acpi/processor_throttling.c
    Merging ftrace/auto-ftrace-next
    Merging genirq/auto-genirq-next
    Merging safe-poison-pointers/auto-safe-poison-pointers-next
    Merging sched/auto-sched-next
    Merging stackprotector/auto-stackprotector-next
    Merging timers/auto-timers-next
    Merging x86/auto-x86-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/kernel/Makefile
    Applying pci: fix xen fallout from PM API change
    Merging pci/linux-next
    Merging quilt/device-mapper
    Merging hid/mm
    Merging quilt/i2c
    Merging quilt/kernel-doc
    Merging avr32/avr32-arch
    Merging v4l-dvb/stable
    Merging s390/features
    Merging sh/master
    Merging jfs/next
    Merging kbuild/master
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/Kbuild
    Created commit 82e726b: Revert "kconfig: normalize int/hex values"
    Merging quilt/ide
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/asm-sparc/ide.h
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/asm-sparc64/ide.h
    Merging libata/NEXT
    Merging nfs/linux-next
    Merging xfs/master
    Merging infiniband/for-next
    Merging blackfin/for-linus
    Merging nfsd/nfsd-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in net/sunrpc/svc.c
    Merging ieee1394/for-next
    Merging hwmon/testing
    Merging ubi/master
    Merging kvm/master
    Merging dlm/next
    Merging scsi/master
    Merging ia64/test
    Merging tests/master
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lib/Kconfig.debug
    Merging ocfs2/linux-next
    Merging quilt/m68k
    Merging powerpc/next
    Merging lblnet/master
    Merging ext4/next
    Merging 4xx/next
    Merging async_tx/next
    Merging udf/for_next
    Merging net/master
    Merging sparc/master
    Merging galak/powerpc-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/net/fs_enet/fs_enet-main.c
    Merging mtd/master
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/arm/mach-at91/board-yl-9200.c
    CONFLICT (delete/modify): drivers/mtd/maps/mtx-1_flash.c deleted in HEAD and modified in mtd/master. Version mtd/master of drivers/mtd/maps/mtx-1_flash.c left in tree.
    $ git rm drivers/mtd/maps/mtx-1_flash.c
    Merging wireless/master
    Merging crypto/master
    Merging vfs/for-next
    CONFLICT (delete/modify): include/asm-sparc/namei.h deleted in vfs/for-nextand modified in HEAD. Version HEAD of include/asm-sparc/namei.h left in tree.
    CONFLICT (delete/modify): include/asm-sparc64/namei.h deleted in vfs/for-next and modified in HEAD. Version HEAD of include/asm-sparc64/namei.h left in tree.
    $ git rm include/asm-sparc/namei.h include/asm-sparc64/namei.h
    Merging sound/master
    Merging arm/devel
    CONFLICT (rename/delete): Renamed arch/arm/configs/em_x270_defconfig->arch/sh/configs/sh7785lcr_defconfig in HEAD and deleted in arm/devel
    Merging cpufreq/next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq.c
    Merging v9fs/for-next
    Merging quilt/rr
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/net/tun.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/linux/if_tun.h
    Merging cifs/master
    Merging mmc/next
    Merging gfs2/master
    Merging input/next
    Merging semaphore/semaphore
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/asm-sparc64/semaphore.h
    Merging semaphore-removal/semaphore-removal
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/net/ps3_gelic_wireless.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla_attr.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla_def.h
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla_mbx.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla_mid.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla_os.c
    $ git reset --hard
    $ git checkout -b tmp semaphore-removal/semaphore-removal
    Created commit 8983ae6: Revert "Convert qla_os to use mutex instead of semaphore"
    Created commit b4916b9: Revert "qla2xxx: Turn vport_sem into vport_mutex"
    $ git checkout master
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/net/ps3_gelic_wireless.c
    Merging bkl-removal/bkl-removal
    Merging trivial/next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/linux/securebits.h
    Merging ubifs/for_andrew
    Merging lsm/for-next
    Merging block/for-next
    Merging embedded/master
    Merging firmware/master
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/Makefile
    Merging pcmcia/master
    Merging battery/master
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/power/Kconfig
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/power/Makefile
    Merging leds/for-mm
    Merging backlight/for-mm
    Merging kgdb/kgdb-next
    Merging slab/for-next
    Merging m68knommu/for-next
    Merging uclinux/for-next
    Merging md/for-next
    Merging cris/for-next
    Merging kmemcheck/auto-kmemcheck-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in kernel/sysctl.c
    Merging generic-ipi/auto-generic-ipi-next
    Merging mips/mips-for-linux-next
    Merging mfd/for-next
    Merging hdlc/hdlc-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/net/wan/cosa.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/net/wan/pc300_drv.c
    Merging drm/drm-next
    CONFLICT (add/add): Merge conflict in drivers/gpu/Makefile
    CONFLICT (add/add): Merge conflict in drivers/gpu/drm/i830/Makefile
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/Kbuild
    CONFLICT (add/add): Merge conflict in include/drm/Kbuild
    Merging voltage/reg-for-linus
    Merging security-testing/next
    Merging quilt/ttydev
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/usb/gadget/serial.c
    CONFLICT (delete/modify): drivers/usb/serial/airprime.c deleted in HEAD andmodified in quilt/ttydev. Version quilt/ttydev of drivers/usb/serial/airprime.c left in tree.
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/usb/serial/cp2101.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/usb/serial/ir-usb.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c
    $ git rm drivers/usb/serial/airprime.c
    Applying usb: tty API change fallout
    Applying sparc64: sysdev API change fallout

  2. Re: linux-next: Tree for July 21

    On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 06:17:25PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
    > This tree fails to build for ARCH=sparc (i.e. 32bit) with a 64bit gcc
    > v3.4.5 - it tries to use the 64bit header files. This may be an artifact
    > of one of my merge fixups, but I don't actually think so.

    I can reproduce it, and it's not related to anything you did.

    The failing command is:

    <-- snip -->

    sparc64-linux-gcc -E -Wp,-MD,arch/sparc/kernel/.vmlinux.lds.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/local/DIR/gcc-sparc64-4.3.1/lib/gcc/sparc64-linux/4.3.1/include -D__KERNEL__ -I/TMP/git/sparc-2.6/include -Iinclude -I/TMP/git/sparc-2.6/include2 -Iinclude2 -I/TMP/git/sparc-2.6/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -P -C -Usparc -D__ASSEMBLY__ -o arch/sparc/kernel/vmlinux.lds /TMP/git/sparc-2.6/arch/sparc/kernel/vmlinux.lds.S
    In file included from include2/asm/page.h:4,
    from /TMP/git/sparc-2.6/arch/sparc/kernel/vmlinux.lds.S:4:
    /TMP/git/sparc-2.6/include/asm-sparc/page_64.h:11:2: error: #error No page size specified in kernel configuration
    make[2]: *** [arch/sparc/kernel/vmlinux.lds] Error 1

    <-- snip -->

    David, Sam, can you look at this?

    cu
    Adrian