linux-next: please hold off 2.6.28 stuff - Kernel

This is a discussion on linux-next: please hold off 2.6.28 stuff - Kernel ; Hi all, Andrew mentioned this and I just thought I would reinforce the message: Please do not put 2.6.28 code into linux-next until at least after -rc1. This will help Andrew's sanity :-) So the day that -RC1 is released, ...

  1. linux-next: please hold off 2.6.28 stuff

    Hi all,

    Andrew mentioned this and I just thought I would reinforce the message:

    Please do not put 2.6.28 code into linux-next until at least after -rc1.
    This will help Andrew's sanity :-)

    So the day that -RC1 is released, I would like for linux-next to be
    just about empty wrt Linus' tree. (Apart from bug fixes and late merges,
    of course).

    --
    Cheers,
    Stephen Rothwell sfr@canb.auug.org.au

  2. Re: linux-next: please hold off 2.6.28 stuff

    On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 13:51 +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Andrew mentioned this and I just thought I would reinforce the message:
    >
    > Please do not put 2.6.28 code into linux-next until at least after -rc1.
    > This will help Andrew's sanity :-)

    I would say let -rc2 be the flag for putting things for the next (2.6.28) release
    into -next. That would give akpm time to get his load in as well.
    Between -rc1 and -rc2, he could look at -next to see what patches were
    picked up by maintainers and what he'll still have to send in himself.

    But it's not me doing the work :-)

    Keep up the good work Stephen/AKPM.

    Harvey

  3. Re: linux-next: please hold off 2.6.28 stuff

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:21:41 +1000 Stephen Rothwell wrote:

    > Hi Harvey,
    >
    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 23:13:41 -0700 Harvey Harrison wrote:
    > >
    > > I would say let -rc2 be the flag for putting things for the next (2.6.28) release
    > > into -next. That would give akpm time to get his load in as well.
    > > Between -rc1 and -rc2, he could look at -next to see what patches were
    > > picked up by maintainers and what he'll still have to send in himself.

    > Fine by me - I get another week off :-)

    We can't have that.

    > Andrew?

    -rc1 is a suitable time, thanks.

  4. Re: linux-next: please hold off 2.6.28 stuff

    Hi Harvey,

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 23:13:41 -0700 Harvey Harrison wrote:

    > I would say let -rc2 be the flag for putting things for the next (2.6.28)release
    > into -next. That would give akpm time to get his load in as well.
    > Between -rc1 and -rc2, he could look at -next to see what patches were
    > picked up by maintainers and what he'll still have to send in himself.

    Fine by me - I get another week off :-)

    Andrew?

    --
    Cheers,