Re: 2.6.26-rc9-git9 doesn't boot on Macintel - Kernel

This is a discussion on Re: 2.6.26-rc9-git9 doesn't boot on Macintel - Kernel ; On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Jack Howarth wrote: > YH, > Is there any relationship between the issue fixed in... > > http://marc.info/?l=linux-acpi&m=121615159014404&w=2 > > and the DMI issue you patched on my MacBookPro v2? no, the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 46 of 46

  1. Re: 2.6.26-rc9-git9 doesn't boot on Macintel

    On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Jack Howarth wrote:
    > YH,
    > Is there any relationship between the issue fixed in...
    >
    > http://marc.info/?l=linux-acpi&m=121615159014404&w=2
    >
    > and the DMI issue you patched on my MacBookPro v2?

    no, the dmi check need to be done before reject_check...

    YH

  2. Re: 2.6.26-rc9-git9 doesn't boot on Macintel

    YH,
    I'll file a radar bug report on this with Apple but wouldn't
    hold my breath for them to fix the firmware. Also, it would be
    a good idea to encourage all of the folks using 2.6.26 on
    Macintel to watch out for the "MMCONFIG not used" message in
    their dmesg and report that to you. I strongly suspect that
    the MacBook Pro v2 isn't the only model with broken firmware.
    Jack

    On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 09:19:19AM -0700, Yinghai Lu wrote:
    > On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 5:09 AM, Jack Howarth wrote:
    > > YH,
    > > Do you see anything in the pci earlydump and the associated lspci --vvxxxx
    > > output that sheds any light on why we have to clean up the dmi with your
    > > mmconfig patch on a MacBookPro2? I am wondering if the BIOS information is
    > > being misused by the linux kernel or if the BIOS is just buggy.

    > BIOS is buggy. it said it need 0-255, but only reserve address range
    > for 64 buses
    >
    > will resend patch to Ingo and Jesse,
    >
    > YH

  3. Re: 2.6.26-rc9-git9 doesn't boot on Macintel

    On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Jack Howarth wrote:
    > YH,
    > I'll file a radar bug report on this with Apple but wouldn't
    > hold my breath for them to fix the firmware. Also, it would be
    > a good idea to encourage all of the folks using 2.6.26 on
    > Macintel to watch out for the "MMCONFIG not used" message in
    > their dmesg and report that to you. I strongly suspect that
    > the MacBook Pro v2 isn't the only model with broken firmware.
    > Jack
    >
    > On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 09:19:19AM -0700, Yinghai Lu wrote:
    >> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 5:09 AM, Jack Howarth wrote:
    >> > YH,
    >> > Do you see anything in the pci earlydump and the associated lspci --vvxxxx
    >> > output that sheds any light on why we have to clean up the dmi with your
    >> > mmconfig patch on a MacBookPro2? I am wondering if the BIOS information is
    >> > being misused by the linux kernel or if the BIOS is just buggy.

    it only happened when 3G ram installed.

    when 2G installed, it will use [0xe0000000 - 0xf0000000), for bus [0,255]
    and that is ok

    YH

  4. Re: 2.6.26-rc9-git9 doesn't boot on Macintel

    On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Yinghai Lu wrote:
    > On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Jack Howarth wrote:
    >> YH,
    >> I'll file a radar bug report on this with Apple but wouldn't
    >> hold my breath for them to fix the firmware. Also, it would be
    >> a good idea to encourage all of the folks using 2.6.26 on
    >> Macintel to watch out for the "MMCONFIG not used" message in
    >> their dmesg and report that to you. I strongly suspect that
    >> the MacBook Pro v2 isn't the only model with broken firmware.
    >> Jack

    > it only happened when 3G ram installed.
    >
    > when 2G installed, it will use [0xe0000000 - 0xf0000000), for bus [0,255]
    > and that is ok
    >
    > YH
    > --

    Where might us mac users locate a custom
    dsdt to try?

    --
    Justin P. Mattock

  5. Re: 2.6.26-rc9-git9 doesn't boot on Macintel

    On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Justin Mattock
    wrote:
    > On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Yinghai Lu wrote:
    >> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Jack Howarth wrote:
    >>> YH,
    >>> I'll file a radar bug report on this with Apple but wouldn't
    >>> hold my breath for them to fix the firmware. Also, it would be
    >>> a good idea to encourage all of the folks using 2.6.26 on
    >>> Macintel to watch out for the "MMCONFIG not used" message in
    >>> their dmesg and report that to you. I strongly suspect that
    >>> the MacBook Pro v2 isn't the only model with broken firmware.
    >>> Jack

    >> it only happened when 3G ram installed.
    >>
    >> when 2G installed, it will use [0xe0000000 - 0xf0000000), for bus [0,255]
    >> and that is ok
    >>
    >> YH
    >> --
    >>

    > Where might us mac users locate a custom
    > dsdt to try?

    MCFG is outside of DSDT.

    YH

  6. Re: 2.6.26-rc9-git9 doesn't boot on Macintel

    On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Yinghai Lu wrote:
    > On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Justin Mattock
    > wrote:

    >>> it only happened when 3G ram installed.
    >>>
    >>> when 2G installed, it will use [0xe0000000 - 0xf0000000), for bus [0,255]
    >>> and that is ok
    >>>
    >>> YH
    >>> --
    >>>

    >> Where might us mac users locate a custom
    >> dsdt to try?

    > MCFG is outside of DSDT.
    >
    > YH

    Hmm I need to study more on this subject.

    --
    Justin P. Mattock

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3