[GIT PULL] ext4 bugfixes - Kernel

This is a discussion on [GIT PULL] ext4 bugfixes - Kernel ; Hi Linus, Please pull from: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4.git for_linus This patch series contains a whole series of cleanups saved up since the last merge window, plus delayed allocation for ext4. Thanks!! - Ted Akinobu Mita (1): ext4: fix ext4_init_block_bitmap() for metablock block ...

  1. [GIT PULL] ext4 bugfixes

    Hi Linus,

    Please pull from:

    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4.git for_linus

    This patch series contains a whole series of cleanups saved up since the
    last merge window, plus delayed allocation for ext4.

    Thanks!!

    - Ted

    Akinobu Mita (1):
    ext4: fix ext4_init_block_bitmap() for metablock block group

    Alex Tomas (2):
    vfs: add hooks for ext4's delayed allocation support
    ext4: Add delayed allocation support in data=writeback mode

    Alexey Dobriyan (1):
    ext4: switch to seq_files

    Aneesh Kumar K.V (12):
    ext4: Fix mb_find_next_bit not to return larger than max
    ext4: start searching for the right extent from the goal group.
    ext4: Update i_disksize properly when allocating from fallocate area.
    ext4: Fix sparse warning
    ext4: Use inode preallocation with -o noextents
    ext4: cleanup block allocator
    ext4: Use page_mkwrite vma_operations to get mmap write notification.
    mm: Add range_cont mode for writeback
    ext4: Add ordered mode support for delalloc
    ext4: Handle page without buffers in ext4_*_writepage()
    ext4: Enable delalloc by default.
    ext4: Don't allow nonextenst mount option for large filesystem

    Duane Griffin (3):
    ext4: handle corrupted orphan list at mount
    ext4: handle deleting corrupted indirect blocks
    ext4: validate directory entry data before use

    Eric Sandeen (3):
    ext4: call blkdev_issue_flush on fsync
    ext4: use atomic functions to set bh_state
    ext4: do not set extents feature from the kernel

    Frederic Bohe (1):
    ext4: fix online resize with mballoc

    Jan Kara (8):
    ext4: Set journal pointer to NULL when journal is released
    vfs: Move mark_inode_dirty() from under page lock in generic_write_end()
    ext4: Invert the locking order of page_lock and transaction start
    ext4: Fix lock inversion in ext4_ext_truncate()
    vfs: export filemap_fdatawrite_range()
    jbd2: Implement data=ordered mode handling via inodes
    ext4: Use new framework for data=ordered mode in JBD2
    jbd2: Remove data=ordered mode support using jbd buffer heads

    Jose R. Santos (2):
    ext4: New inode allocation for FLEX_BG meta-data groups.
    ext4: Documentation updates.

    Julia Lawall (1):
    ext4: Use BUG_ON() instead of BUG()

    Li Zefan (3):
    ext4: fix build failure if DX_DEBUG is enabled
    ext4: remove redundant code in ext4_fill_super()
    ext4: cleanup never-used magic numbers from htree code

    Mingming Cao (9):
    ext4: Fix ext4_mb_init_cache return error
    jbd2: fix race between jbd2_journal_try_to_free_buffers() and jbd2 commit transaction
    ext4: mballoc avoid use root reserved blocks for non root allocation
    percpu_counter: new function percpu_counter_sum_and_set
    ext4: delayed allocation ENOSPC handling
    ext4: Invert lock ordering of page_lock and transaction start in delalloc
    ext4: fix delalloc i_disksize early update issue
    ext4: delayed allocation i_blocks fix for stat
    ext4: Documention update for new ordered mode and delayed allocation

    Shen Feng (11):
    ext4: fix comments to say "ext4"
    ext4: improve some code in rb tree part of dir.c
    ext4: add error processing when calling ext4_mb_init_cache in mballoc
    ext4: miscellaneous error checks and coding cleanups for mballoc
    ext4: remove double definitions of xattr macros
    ext4: error proc entry creation when the fs/ext4 is not correctly created
    ext4: fix error processing in mb_free_blocks
    ext4: remove quota allocation when ext4_mb_new_blocks fails
    ext4: return error when calling ext4_ext_split failed
    ext4: Make ext4_ext_find_extent fills ext_path completely
    ext4: Fix ext4_ext_journal_restart() to reflect errors up to the caller

    Stoyan Gaydarov (1):
    ext4: replace __FUNCTION__ occurrences

    Theodore Ts'o (3):
    ext4: Rename read_block_bitmap() to ext4_read_block_bitmap()
    ext4: Remove unused variable from ext4_show_options
    jbd2: Add commit time into the commit block

    Documentation/filesystems/ext4.txt | 125 ++--
    fs/buffer.c | 19 +-
    fs/ext4/balloc.c | 209 ++++--
    fs/ext4/dir.c | 17 +-
    fs/ext4/ext4.h | 61 ++-
    fs/ext4/ext4_extents.h | 1 +
    fs/ext4/ext4_i.h | 10 +-
    fs/ext4/ext4_jbd2.h | 21 +-
    fs/ext4/ext4_sb.h | 5 +-
    fs/ext4/extents.c | 111 ++-
    fs/ext4/file.c | 20 +-
    fs/ext4/fsync.c | 4 +
    fs/ext4/group.h | 2 +-
    fs/ext4/ialloc.c | 113 +++-
    fs/ext4/inode.c | 1591 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------
    fs/ext4/mballoc.c | 451 +++++++---
    fs/ext4/namei.c | 45 +-
    fs/ext4/resize.c | 52 ++-
    fs/ext4/super.c | 142 +++-
    fs/ext4/xattr.c | 2 +-
    fs/ext4/xattr_trusted.c | 4 +-
    fs/ext4/xattr_user.c | 4 +-
    fs/jbd2/checkpoint.c | 1 -
    fs/jbd2/commit.c | 294 +++-----
    fs/jbd2/journal.c | 53 ++-
    fs/jbd2/transaction.c | 365 ++++-----
    fs/mpage.c | 14 +-
    include/linux/fs.h | 2 +
    include/linux/jbd2.h | 73 ++-
    include/linux/mpage.h | 10 +
    include/linux/percpu_counter.h | 12 +-
    include/linux/writeback.h | 1 +
    lib/percpu_counter.c | 7 +-
    mm/filemap.c | 3 +-
    mm/page-writeback.c | 3 +

  2. Re: [GIT PULL] ext4 bugfixes

    On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:56:28PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
    > Alex Tomas (2):
    > vfs: add hooks for ext4's delayed allocation support

    This is still missing kerneldoc comments for the newly exported
    functions.

    > ext4: Add delayed allocation support in data=writeback mode

    And for this one I haven't even heard back on my review comments. None
    of them is a merge blocker so it's not critical, but I find it quite odd
    that the pull request is coming before even replying to the review
    comments.

  3. Re: [GIT PULL] ext4 bugfixes

    On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 12:37:18AM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > And for this one I haven't even heard back on my review comments. None
    > of them is a merge blocker so it's not critical, but I find it quite odd
    > that the pull request is coming before even replying to the review
    > comments.

    Can you resend your e-mail, please? I can't seem to find it in my
    inbox. Thanks!!

    - Ted

  4. Re: [GIT PULL] ext4 bugfixes

    On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 08:46:52AM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
    > On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 12:37:18AM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > > And for this one I haven't even heard back on my review comments. None
    > > of them is a merge blocker so it's not critical, but I find it quite odd
    > > that the pull request is coming before even replying to the review
    > > comments.

    > Can you resend your e-mail, please? I can't seem to find it in my
    > inbox. Thanks!!

    It was just a paragraph in the mail also commenting on the previously
    core parts:

    > Also the code still deals with the !buffer_mapped and no buffers on page
    > cases all over which isn't needed anymore with ->page_mkwrite
    > implemented.
    > Similarly the !get_block case in mpage_da_writepages doesn't make any
    > sense - it's never used and if people would want to use
    > generic_writepages they could trivially just call it directly.

    I've got a comment from Jan that the no buffers case can still happen,
    so that can be removed.

    Any chance you could also look into the kerneldoc comments for the newly
    exported fs/mpage.c routines as commented on the updated patch?