linux-next: Tree for July 11 - Kernel

This is a discussion on linux-next: Tree for July 11 - Kernel ; Hi all, Changes since next-20080710: New tree: voltage The tip-core tree lost its conflict against Linus' tree. The sched tree gained a conflict against Linus' tree. The x86 tree gained conflicts against the ftrace and driver-core trees. The ide tree ...

  1. linux-next: Tree for July 11

    Hi all,

    Changes since next-20080710:

    New tree: voltage

    The tip-core tree lost its conflict against Linus' tree.

    The sched tree gained a conflict against Linus' tree.

    The x86 tree gained conflicts against the ftrace and driver-core trees.

    The ide tree lost its 2 conflicts against Linus' tree.

    The rr tree gained a runtime bug fix patch (which Rusty tells me will not
    be needed for long).

    The firmware tree gained a conflict against the usb tree that required the
    reverting of one of its commits) but also lost a conflict against Linus'
    tree.

    The kmemcheck tree gained a conflict against the x86 tree.

    The ttydev tree had two patches fail to apply which I removed.

    I have also applied the following patches for known problems:

    sparc64: sysdev API change fallout
    s390: fix compile error due to smp_call_function

    This patch is no longer needed:
    linux-next: zero based percpu build error on s390

    I have created today's linux-next tree at
    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git
    (patches at
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...fr/linux-next/). If you
    are tracking the linux-next tree using git, you should not use "git pull"
    to do so as that will try to merge the new linux-next release with the
    old one. You should use "git fetch" as mentioned in the FAQ on the wiki
    (see below).

    You can see which trees have been included by looking in the Next/Trees
    file in the source. There are also quilt-import.log and merge.log files
    in the Next directory. Between each merge, the tree was built with
    a ppc64_defconfig for powerpc and an allmodconfig for x86_64. After the
    final fixups, it is also built with powerpc allnoconfig,
    44x_defconfig and allyesconfig and i386, sparc and sparc64 defconfig.

    Below is a summary of the state of the merge.

    We are up to 106 trees (counting Linus' and 14 trees of patches pending for
    Linus' tree), more are welcome (even if they are currently empty).
    Thanks to those who have contributed, and to those who haven't, please do.

    Status of my local build tests will be at
    http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/linux-next . If maintainers want to give
    advice about cross compilers/configs that work, we are always open to add
    more builds.

    Thanks to Jan Dittmer for adding the linux-next tree to his build tests
    at http://l4x.org/k/ , the guys at http://test.kernel.org/ and Randy
    Dunlap for doing many randconfig builds.

    There is a wiki covering stuff to do with linux-next at
    http://linux.f-seidel.de/linux-next/pmwiki/ . Thanks to Frank Seidel.

    --
    Cheers,
    Stephen Rothwell sfr@canb.auug.org.au

    $ git checkout master
    $ git reset --hard stable
    Merging origin/master
    Merging powerpc-merge/merge
    Merging scsi-rc-fixes/master
    Merging net-current/master
    Merging sparc-current/master
    Merging sound-current/for-linus
    Merging arm-current/master
    Merging pci-current/for-linus
    Merging wireless-current/master
    Merging kbuild-current/master
    Merging quilt/driver-core.current
    Merging quilt/usb.current
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/usb/core/hcd.c
    Merging cpufreq-current/fixes
    Merging input-current/for-linus
    Merging md-current/for-2.6.26
    Merging quilt/driver-core
    Merging quilt/usb
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/usb/core/hub.c
    Merging tip-core/auto-core-next
    Merging cpus4096/auto-cpus4096-next
    Merging ftrace/auto-ftrace-next
    Merging genirq/auto-genirq-next
    Merging safe-poison-pointers/auto-safe-poison-pointers-next
    Merging sched/auto-sched-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in kernel/Makefile
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in kernel/rcupreempt.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in kernel/sched.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in kernel/sched_rt.c
    Merging stackprotector/auto-stackprotector-next
    Merging timers/auto-timers-next
    Merging x86/auto-x86-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/kernel/entry_32.S
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/kernel/process_32.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/kernel/process_64.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/kernel/traps_32.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/kernel/traps_64.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/lib/Makefile
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/base/topology.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/asm-x86/irqflags.h
    Merging pci/linux-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/sparc64/kernel/pci.c
    CONFLICT (delete/modify): arch/x86/kernel/setup_64.c deleted in HEAD and modified in pci/linux-next. Version pci/linux-next of arch/x86/kernel/setup_64.c left in tree.
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/pci/irq.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/pci/pci.h
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/linux/device.h
    Applying pci: usb fixup 1
    Applying pci: include linux/pm_wakeup.h for device_set_wakeup_capable
    Merging quilt/device-mapper
    Merging hid/mm
    Merging quilt/i2c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/i2c/i2c-core.c
    Merging quilt/kernel-doc
    Merging avr32/avr32-arch
    Merging v4l-dvb/stable
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/media/video/Kconfig
    Applying v4l-dvb: class_for_each_device API change fallout
    Merging s390/features
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/block/dasd.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/block/dasd_eckd.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/block/dasd_fba.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/char/tape_core.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/cio/device_fsm.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/cio/qdio.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/net/claw.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/net/ctcm_main.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/net/lcs.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/net/netiucv.c
    Merging sh/master
    Merging jfs/next
    Merging kbuild/master
    Created commit da1671f: Revert "kconfig: normalize int/hex values"
    Merging quilt/ide
    Merging libata/NEXT
    Merging nfs/linux-next
    Merging xfs/master
    Merging infiniband/for-next
    Merging acpi/test
    CONFLICT (rename/modify): Merge conflict in arch/x86/mm/srat_32.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/kernel/process.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/acpi/processor_throttling.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/acpi/sleep/main.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/pci/pci.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/pci/pci.h
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/acpi/acpi_bus.h
    Merging blackfin/for-linus
    Merging nfsd/nfsd-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in net/sunrpc/svc.c
    Merging ieee1394/for-next
    Merging hwmon/testing
    Merging ubi/master
    Merging kvm/master
    Merging dlm/next
    Merging scsi/master
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/scsi/zfcp_aux.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/s390/scsi/zfcp_def.h
    Applying scsi: fix fallout from the class_find_device API change
    Applying scsi: fix fallout from KOBJ_NAME_LEN removal
    Merging ia64/test
    Merging tests/master
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lib/Kconfig.debug
    Merging ocfs2/linux-next
    Merging selinux/for-akpm
    Merging quilt/m68k
    Merging powerpc/powerpc-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/macintosh/mediabay.c
    Applying powerpc: fix automatic merge of pgtable-ppc64.h
    Merging lblnet/master
    Merging ext4/next
    Merging 4xx/next
    Merging async_tx/next
    Merging udf/for_next
    Merging security-testing/next
    Merging net/master
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in Documentation/powerpc/booting-without-of.txt
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/net/fs_enet/fs_enet-main.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/pci/pci-acpi.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_proto_tcp.c
    Merging sparc/master
    Merging galak/powerpc-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in Documentation/powerpc/booting-without-of.txt
    Merging mtd/master
    Merging wireless/master
    Merging crypto/master
    Merging vfs/vfs-2.6.25
    Merging sound/master
    Merging arm/devel
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/arm/kernel/time.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/arm/mach-at91/board-yl-9200.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/usb/gadget/ether.c
    Merging cpufreq/next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq.c
    Merging v9fs/for-next
    Merging quilt/rr
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/char/hvc_console.h
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in kernel/stop_machine.c
    Applying fixup stop_machine use cpu mask vs ftrace
    Merging cifs/master
    Merging mmc/next
    Merging gfs2/master
    Merging input/next
    Merging semaphore/semaphore
    Merging semaphore-removal/semaphore-removal
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/net/ps3_gelic_wireless.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla_attr.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla_def.h
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla_mbx.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla_mid.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla_os.c
    Merging bkl-removal/bkl-removal
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in fs/nfs/file.c
    Merging trivial/next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/linux/securebits.h
    Merging ubifs/for_andrew
    Merging lsm/for-next
    Merging block/for-next
    Merging embedded/master
    Merging firmware/master
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/atm/Makefile
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/char/dsp56k.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/char/ip2/ip2main.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/Makefile
    CONFLICT (delete/modify): drivers/usb/serial/io_fw_down3.h deleted in firmware/master and modified in HEAD. Version HEAD of drivers/usb/serial/io_fw_down3.h left in tree.
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/usb/serial/io_ti.c
    CONFLICT (delete/modify): drivers/usb/serial/ti_fw_3410.h deleted in firmware/master and modified in HEAD. Version HEAD of drivers/usb/serial/ti_fw_3410.h left in tree.
    CONFLICT (delete/modify): drivers/usb/serial/ti_fw_5052.h deleted in firmware/master and modified in HEAD. Version HEAD of drivers/usb/serial/ti_fw_5052.h left in tree.
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/usb/serial/ti_usb_3410_5052.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in sound/pci/Kconfig
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in sound/pci/maestro3.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in sound/pci/ymfpci/ymfpci_main.c
    $ git reset --hard
    $ git checkout -b tmp firmware/master
    Created commit e029ef5: Revert "edgeport-ti: use request_firmware()"
    $ git checkout master
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/atm/Makefile
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/char/ip2/ip2main.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/Makefile
    CONFLICT (delete/modify): drivers/usb/serial/ti_fw_3410.h deleted in tmp and modified in HEAD. Version HEAD of drivers/usb/serial/ti_fw_3410.h left intree.
    CONFLICT (delete/modify): drivers/usb/serial/ti_fw_5052.h deleted in tmp and modified in HEAD. Version HEAD of drivers/usb/serial/ti_fw_5052.h left intree.
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/usb/serial/ti_usb_3410_5052.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in sound/pci/Kconfig
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in sound/pci/maestro3.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in sound/pci/ymfpci/ymfpci_main.c
    Merging pcmcia/master
    Merging battery/master
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/power/Kconfig
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/power/Makefile
    Merging leds/for-mm
    Merging backlight/for-mm
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/video/backlight/Kconfig
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/video/backlight/Makefile
    Merging kgdb/kgdb-next
    Merging slab/for-next
    Merging m68knommu/for-next
    Merging uclinux/for-next
    Merging md/for-next
    Merging cris/for-next
    Merging kmemcheck/auto-kmemcheck-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/kernel/traps_64.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/mm/Makefile
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/asm-x86/pgtable.h
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in kernel/sysctl.c
    Merging generic-ipi/auto-generic-ipi-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/powerpc/mm/slice.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/s390/kernel/time.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/x86/kvm/vmx.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in init/main.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in net/iucv/iucv.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in virt/kvm/kvm_main.c
    Applying generic-ipi: powerpc fallout fixes
    Merging mips/mips-for-linux-next
    Merging mfd/for-next
    Merging hdlc/hdlc-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/net/wan/cosa.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/net/wan/hdlc_fr.c
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/net/wan/pc300_drv.c
    Merging drm/drm-next
    CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in include/Kbuild
    Applying drm: fix fallout from moving stuff around
    Merging voltage/reg-for-linus
    $ git quiltimport --author "Alan Cox " --patches "../quilt/ttydev"
    Applying sparc64: sysdev API change fallout
    Applying s390: fix compile error due to smp_call_function

  2. Re: linux-next: Tree for July 11

    On Friday, 11 of July 2008, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Changes since next-20080710:
    >
    > New tree: voltage
    >
    > The tip-core tree lost its conflict against Linus' tree.
    >
    > The sched tree gained a conflict against Linus' tree.
    >
    > The x86 tree gained conflicts against the ftrace and driver-core trees.
    >
    > The ide tree lost its 2 conflicts against Linus' tree.
    >
    > The rr tree gained a runtime bug fix patch (which Rusty tells me will not
    > be needed for long).
    >
    > The firmware tree gained a conflict against the usb tree that required the
    > reverting of one of its commits) but also lost a conflict against Linus'
    > tree.
    >
    > The kmemcheck tree gained a conflict against the x86 tree.
    >
    > The ttydev tree had two patches fail to apply which I removed.
    >
    > I have also applied the following patches for known problems:
    >
    > sparc64: sysdev API change fallout
    > s390: fix compile error due to smp_call_function
    >
    > This patch is no longer needed:
    > linux-next: zero based percpu build error on s390

    With this tree I see two problems. The first one is this:

    [ INFO: possible recursive locking detected ]
    2.6.26-rc9-next #44
    swapper/1 is trying to acquire lock:
    (&queue->lock){-...}, at: [] qdisc_lock_tree+0x27/0x30

    but task is already holding lock:
    (&queue->lock){-...}, at: [] qdisc_lock_tree+0x1f/0x30

    other info that might help us debug this:
    3 locks held by swapper/1:
    #0: (net_mutex){--..}, at: [] register_pernet_device+0x22/0x70
    #1: (rtnl_mutex){--..}, at: [] rtnl_lock+0x12/0x20
    #2: (&queue->lock){-...}, at: [] qdisc_lock_tree+0x1f/0x30

    stack backtrace:
    Pid: 1, comm: swapper Not tainted 2.6.26-rc9-next #44

    Call Trace:
    [] __lock_acquire+0xb7e/0x1280
    [] lock_acquire+0x57/0x80
    [] ? qdisc_lock_tree+0x27/0x30
    [] _spin_lock+0x25/0x40
    [] qdisc_lock_tree+0x27/0x30
    [] dev_init_scheduler+0x11/0x70
    [] register_netdevice+0x1fb/0x370
    [] register_netdev+0x44/0x60
    [] loopback_net_init+0x47/0x90
    [] ? firmware_class_init+0x0/0x90
    [] ? loopback_init+0x0/0x20
    [] register_pernet_operations+0x18/0x20
    [] register_pernet_device+0x31/0x70
    [] loopback_init+0x10/0x20
    [] kernel_init+0x128/0x310
    [] ? trace_hardirqs_on_caller+0xbf/0x150
    [] ? trace_hardirqs_on+0xd/0x10
    [] ? _spin_unlock_irq+0x2b/0x40
    [] ? trace_hardirqs_on_thunk+0x3a/0x3f
    [] ? trace_hardirqs_on_caller+0xbf/0x150
    [] child_rip+0xa/0x11
    [] ? restore_args+0x0/0x30
    [] ? kernel_init+0x0/0x310
    [] ? child_rip+0x0/0x11

    and the second one is the following:

    WARNING: at /home/rafael/src/linux-next/include/linux/blkdev.h:447 blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0()
    Modules linked in: snd_hda_intel ohci1394 ieee1394 snd_pcm rtc_cmos sr_mod rtc_core floppy snd_timer wmi button cdrom rtc_lib serio_raw sky2 snd_page_alloc snd_hwdep snd evdev joydev sg soundcore raid456 async_xor async_memcpy async_tx xor raid0 usbhid ff_memless ehci_hcd ohci_hcd sd_mod edd raid1 ext3 jbd fan pata_marvell pata_atiixp thermal processor
    Pid: 2244, comm: kjournald Not tainted 2.6.26-rc9-next #44

    Call Trace:
    [] warn_on_slowpath+0x5f/0x80
    [] ? hpet_unregister_irq_handler+0x0/0x30
    [] ? kmemcheck_mark_initialized+0xe/0x10
    [] ? kmemcheck_slab_alloc+0x2b/0x50
    [] ? kmem_cache_alloc+0xc0/0x140
    [] ? mempool_alloc_slab+0x11/0x20
    [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    [] blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0
    [] bitmap_startwrite+0xbf/0x1b0
    [] ? bio_alloc_bioset+0x54/0xb0
    [] make_request+0x39a/0x810 [raid1]
    [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    [] generic_make_request+0x17d/0x2b0
    [] submit_bio+0x6c/0xf0
    [] submit_bh+0xf0/0x130
    [] journal_commit_transaction+0xa40/0x1000 [jbd]
    [] ? try_to_del_timer_sync+0x44/0x90
    [] kjournald+0xe7/0x250 [jbd]
    [] ? autoremove_wake_function+0x0/0x40
    [] ? kjournald+0x0/0x250 [jbd]
    [] kthread+0x4d/0x80
    [] child_rip+0xa/0x11
    [] ? _spin_unlock_irq+0x2b/0x40
    [] ? restore_args+0x0/0x30
    [] ? kthreadd+0x122/0x1a0
    [] ? kthread+0x0/0x80
    [] ? child_rip+0x0/0x11

    ---[ end trace d63b767d1ed7d78a ]---

    Full dmesg output is at: http://www.sisk.pl/kernel/debug/20080711/dmesg-1.log

    Thanks,
    Rafael

  3. Re: linux-next: Tree for July 11

    On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > and the second one is the following:
    >
    > WARNING: at /home/rafael/src/linux-next/include/linux/blkdev.h:447 blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0()
    > Modules linked in: snd_hda_intel ohci1394 ieee1394 snd_pcm rtc_cmos sr_mod rtc_core floppy snd_timer wmi button cdrom rtc_lib serio_raw sky2 snd_page_alloc snd_hwdep snd evdev joydev sg soundcore raid456 async_xor async_memcpy async_tx xor raid0 usbhid ff_memless ehci_hcd ohci_hcd sd_mod edd raid1 ext3 jbd fan pata_marvell pata_atiixp thermal processor
    > Pid: 2244, comm: kjournald Not tainted 2.6.26-rc9-next #44
    >
    > Call Trace:
    > [] warn_on_slowpath+0x5f/0x80
    > [] ? hpet_unregister_irq_handler+0x0/0x30
    > [] ? kmemcheck_mark_initialized+0xe/0x10
    > [] ? kmemcheck_slab_alloc+0x2b/0x50
    > [] ? kmem_cache_alloc+0xc0/0x140
    > [] ? mempool_alloc_slab+0x11/0x20
    > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > [] blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0
    > [] bitmap_startwrite+0xbf/0x1b0
    > [] ? bio_alloc_bioset+0x54/0xb0
    > [] make_request+0x39a/0x810 [raid1]
    > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > [] generic_make_request+0x17d/0x2b0
    > [] submit_bio+0x6c/0xf0
    > [] submit_bh+0xf0/0x130
    > [] journal_commit_transaction+0xa40/0x1000 [jbd]
    > [] ? try_to_del_timer_sync+0x44/0x90
    > [] kjournald+0xe7/0x250 [jbd]
    > [] ? autoremove_wake_function+0x0/0x40
    > [] ? kjournald+0x0/0x250 [jbd]
    > [] kthread+0x4d/0x80
    > [] child_rip+0xa/0x11
    > [] ? _spin_unlock_irq+0x2b/0x40
    > [] ? restore_args+0x0/0x30
    > [] ? kthreadd+0x122/0x1a0
    > [] ? kthread+0x0/0x80
    > [] ? child_rip+0x0/0x11

    Hm, even though there's kmemcheck in the stacktrace, I think it's
    unrelated. Probably it's just a call that returned and the addresses
    were left on the stack. You can also see that the warning clearly
    comes from blkdev.h, and since kmemcheck does *not* call into any
    blkdev stuff, those stacktrace entries must be just left-overs, as is
    also indicated by the unreliable mark, so although those are wrong in
    certain circumstances, I don't think they are in this case.

    The warning comes from here:

    static inline int queue_flag_test_and_set(unsigned int flag,
    struct request_queue *q)
    {
    WARN_ON_ONCE(!queue_is_locked(q));

    I'll add Jens Axboe to Cc.

    Thanks for the heads-up!

    Vegard

    --
    "The animistic metaphor of the bug that maliciously sneaked in while
    the programmer was not looking is intellectually dishonest as it

  4. Re: linux-next: Tree for July 11

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 21:21:38 +0200
    "Vegard Nossum" wrote:

    > > [] warn_on_slowpath+0x5f/0x80
    > > [] ? hpet_unregister_irq_handler+0x0/0x30
    > > [] ? kmemcheck_mark_initialized+0xe/0x10
    > > [] ? kmemcheck_slab_alloc+0x2b/0x50
    > > [] ? kmem_cache_alloc+0xc0/0x140
    > > [] ? mempool_alloc_slab+0x11/0x20
    > > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > > [] blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0
    > > [] bitmap_startwrite+0xbf/0x1b0
    > > [] ? bio_alloc_bioset+0x54/0xb0
    > > [] make_request+0x39a/0x810 [raid1]
    > > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > > [] generic_make_request+0x17d/0x2b0
    > > [] submit_bio+0x6c/0xf0

    > Hm, even though there's kmemcheck in the stacktrace, I think it's
    > unrelated. Probably it's just a call that returned and the addresses
    > were left on the stack.

    more than "probably".. that's what the "?" in the trace is for

  5. Re: linux-next: Tree for July 11

    On Saturday, 12 of July 2008, Vegard Nossum wrote:
    > On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > > and the second one is the following:
    > >
    > > WARNING: at /home/rafael/src/linux-next/include/linux/blkdev.h:447 blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0()
    > > Modules linked in: snd_hda_intel ohci1394 ieee1394 snd_pcm rtc_cmos sr_mod rtc_core floppy snd_timer wmi button cdrom rtc_lib serio_raw sky2 snd_page_alloc snd_hwdep snd evdev joydev sg soundcore raid456 async_xor async_memcpy async_tx xor raid0 usbhid ff_memless ehci_hcd ohci_hcd sd_mod edd raid1 ext3 jbd fan pata_marvell pata_atiixp thermal processor
    > > Pid: 2244, comm: kjournald Not tainted 2.6.26-rc9-next #44
    > >
    > > Call Trace:
    > > [] warn_on_slowpath+0x5f/0x80
    > > [] ? hpet_unregister_irq_handler+0x0/0x30
    > > [] ? kmemcheck_mark_initialized+0xe/0x10
    > > [] ? kmemcheck_slab_alloc+0x2b/0x50
    > > [] ? kmem_cache_alloc+0xc0/0x140
    > > [] ? mempool_alloc_slab+0x11/0x20
    > > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > > [] blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0
    > > [] bitmap_startwrite+0xbf/0x1b0
    > > [] ? bio_alloc_bioset+0x54/0xb0
    > > [] make_request+0x39a/0x810 [raid1]
    > > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > > [] generic_make_request+0x17d/0x2b0
    > > [] submit_bio+0x6c/0xf0
    > > [] submit_bh+0xf0/0x130
    > > [] journal_commit_transaction+0xa40/0x1000 [jbd]
    > > [] ? try_to_del_timer_sync+0x44/0x90
    > > [] kjournald+0xe7/0x250 [jbd]
    > > [] ? autoremove_wake_function+0x0/0x40
    > > [] ? kjournald+0x0/0x250 [jbd]
    > > [] kthread+0x4d/0x80
    > > [] child_rip+0xa/0x11
    > > [] ? _spin_unlock_irq+0x2b/0x40
    > > [] ? restore_args+0x0/0x30
    > > [] ? kthreadd+0x122/0x1a0
    > > [] ? kthread+0x0/0x80
    > > [] ? child_rip+0x0/0x11

    > Hm, even though there's kmemcheck in the stacktrace, I think it's
    > unrelated. Probably it's just a call that returned and the addresses
    > were left on the stack. You can also see that the warning clearly
    > comes from blkdev.h, and since kmemcheck does *not* call into any
    > blkdev stuff, those stacktrace entries must be just left-overs, as is
    > also indicated by the unreliable mark, so although those are wrong in
    > certain circumstances, I don't think they are in this case.
    >
    > The warning comes from here:
    >
    > static inline int queue_flag_test_and_set(unsigned int flag,
    > struct request_queue *q)
    > {
    > WARN_ON_ONCE(!queue_is_locked(q));
    >
    > I'll add Jens Axboe to Cc.

    Yeah, good idea. :-)

    It turns out that this happened before, but I've been overlooking it. This is
    a trace from the Friday's linux-next:

    ------------[ cut here ]------------
    WARNING: at /home/rafael/src/linux-next/include/linux/blkdev.h:447 blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0()
    Modules linked in: rtc_cmos snd_hda_intel rtc_core snd_pcm sr_mod floppy snd_timer snd_page_alloc rtc_lib ohci1394 serio_raw cdrom ieee1394 snd_hwdep snd soundcore sky2 button wmi joydev evdev sg raid456 async_xor async_memcpy async_tx xor raid0 usbhid ff_memless ehci_hcd sd_mod ohci_hcd edd raid1 ext3 jbd fan pata_marvell pata_atiixp thermal processor
    Pid: 2275, comm: kjournald Not tainted 2.6.26-rc9-next #40

    Call Trace:
    [] warn_on_slowpath+0x5f/0x80
    [] ? hpet_rtc_interrupt+0x100/0x380
    [] ? __lock_acquire+0x8b7/0x1280
    [] ? mempool_alloc_slab+0x11/0x20
    [] blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0
    [] bitmap_startwrite+0xbf/0x1b0
    [] ? bio_alloc_bioset+0x54/0xb0
    [] make_request+0x39a/0x810 [raid1]
    [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    [] generic_make_request+0x17d/0x2b0
    [] submit_bio+0x6c/0xf0
    [] submit_bh+0xf0/0x130
    [] journal_commit_transaction+0xa40/0x1000 [jbd]
    [] ? try_to_del_timer_sync+0x44/0x90
    [] kjournald+0xe7/0x250 [jbd]
    [] ? autoremove_wake_function+0x0/0x40
    [] ? kjournald+0x0/0x250 [jbd]
    [] kthread+0x4d/0x80
    [] child_rip+0xa/0x11
    [] ? restore_args+0x0/0x30
    [] ? kthread+0x0/0x80
    [] ? child_rip+0x0/0x11

    ---[ end trace bd85cedf792d0f08 ]---

    and the full dmesg is here: http://www.sisk.pl/kernel/debug/20080709/dmesg-1.log

    Thanks,
    Rafael

  6. Re: linux-next: Tree for July 11: WARNING: at /home/rafael/src/linux-next/include/linux/blkdev.h:447

    On Saturday, 12 of July 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > On Saturday, 12 of July 2008, Vegard Nossum wrote:
    > > On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > > > and the second one is the following:

    [--snip--]

    > It turns out that this happened before, but I've been overlooking it. This is
    > a trace from the Friday's linux-next:
    >
    > ------------[ cut here ]------------
    > WARNING: at /home/rafael/src/linux-next/include/linux/blkdev.h:447 blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0()
    > Modules linked in: rtc_cmos snd_hda_intel rtc_core snd_pcm sr_mod floppy snd_timer snd_page_alloc rtc_lib ohci1394 serio_raw cdrom ieee1394 snd_hwdep snd soundcore sky2 button wmi joydev evdev sg raid456 async_xor async_memcpy async_tx xor raid0 usbhid ff_memless ehci_hcd sd_mod ohci_hcd edd raid1 ext3 jbd fan pata_marvell pata_atiixp thermal processor
    > Pid: 2275, comm: kjournald Not tainted 2.6.26-rc9-next #40
    >
    > Call Trace:
    > [] warn_on_slowpath+0x5f/0x80
    > [] ? hpet_rtc_interrupt+0x100/0x380
    > [] ? __lock_acquire+0x8b7/0x1280
    > [] ? mempool_alloc_slab+0x11/0x20
    > [] blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0
    > [] bitmap_startwrite+0xbf/0x1b0
    > [] ? bio_alloc_bioset+0x54/0xb0
    > [] make_request+0x39a/0x810 [raid1]
    > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > [] generic_make_request+0x17d/0x2b0
    > [] submit_bio+0x6c/0xf0
    > [] submit_bh+0xf0/0x130
    > [] journal_commit_transaction+0xa40/0x1000 [jbd]
    > [] ? try_to_del_timer_sync+0x44/0x90
    > [] kjournald+0xe7/0x250 [jbd]
    > [] ? autoremove_wake_function+0x0/0x40
    > [] ? kjournald+0x0/0x250 [jbd]
    > [] kthread+0x4d/0x80
    > [] child_rip+0xa/0x11
    > [] ? restore_args+0x0/0x30
    > [] ? kthread+0x0/0x80
    > [] ? child_rip+0x0/0x11
    >
    > ---[ end trace bd85cedf792d0f08 ]---

    This has now made it into the Linus' tree:

    ------------[ cut here ]------------
    WARNING: at /home/rafael/src/linux-2.6/include/linux/blkdev.h:447 blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0()
    Modules linked in: rtc_cmos rtc_core sr_mod rtc_lib snd_hda_intel cdrom floppy snd_pcm snd_timer serio_raw snd_page_alloc ohci1394 snd_hwdep ieee1394 sky2 snd soundcore joydev button wmi evdev sg raid456 async_xor async_memcpy async_tx xor raid0 usbhid ff_memless ehci_hcd ohci_hcd sd_mod edd raid1 ext3 jbd fan pata_marvell pata_atiixp thermal processor
    Pid: 2264, comm: kjournald Not tainted 2.6.26-git #203

    Call Trace:
    [] warn_on_slowpath+0x5f/0x80
    [] ? __lock_acquire+0x8d5/0x1290
    [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    [] blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0
    [] bitmap_startwrite+0xbf/0x1b0
    [] ? bio_alloc_bioset+0x54/0xb0
    [] make_request+0x39c/0x810 [raid1]
    [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    [] generic_make_request+0x17d/0x2b0
    [] submit_bio+0x6c/0xf0
    [] submit_bh+0xf0/0x130
    [] journal_commit_transaction+0xa40/0x1000 [jbd]
    [] ? try_to_del_timer_sync+0x44/0x90
    [] kjournald+0xe7/0x250 [jbd]
    [] ? autoremove_wake_function+0x0/0x40
    [] ? kjournald+0x0/0x250 [jbd]
    [] kthread+0x4d/0x80
    [] child_rip+0xa/0x11
    [] ? restore_args+0x0/0x30
    [] ? kthread+0x0/0x80
    [] ? child_rip+0x0/0x11

    ---[ end trace a367ac91f145af0b ]---

    dmesg: http://www.sisk.pl/kernel/debug/main...-M3A32-MVP.log
    config: http://www.sisk.pl/kernel/debug/main...A32-MVP-config

    Thanks,
    Rafael

  7. Re: linux-next: Tree for July 11: WARNING: at /home/rafael/src/linux-next/include/linux/blkdev.h:447

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 01:02:15 +0200
    "Rafael J. Wysocki" wrote:

    > On Saturday, 12 of July 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

    > [--snip--]
    > >
    > > It turns out that this happened before, but I've been overlooking it. This is
    > > a trace from the Friday's linux-next:
    > >
    > > ------------[ cut here ]------------
    > > WARNING: at /home/rafael/src/linux-next/include/linux/blkdev.h:447 blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0()
    > > Modules linked in: rtc_cmos snd_hda_intel rtc_core snd_pcm sr_mod floppy snd_timer snd_page_alloc rtc_lib ohci1394 serio_raw cdrom ieee1394 snd_hwdep snd soundcore sky2 button wmi joydev evdev sg raid456 async_xor async_memcpy async_tx xor raid0 usbhid ff_memless ehci_hcd sd_mod ohci_hcd edd raid1 ext3 jbd fan pata_marvell pata_atiixp thermal processor
    > > Pid: 2275, comm: kjournald Not tainted 2.6.26-rc9-next #40
    > >
    > > Call Trace:
    > > [] warn_on_slowpath+0x5f/0x80
    > > [] ? hpet_rtc_interrupt+0x100/0x380
    > > [] ? __lock_acquire+0x8b7/0x1280
    > > [] ? mempool_alloc_slab+0x11/0x20
    > > [] blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0
    > > [] bitmap_startwrite+0xbf/0x1b0
    > > [] ? bio_alloc_bioset+0x54/0xb0
    > > [] make_request+0x39a/0x810 [raid1]
    > > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > > [] generic_make_request+0x17d/0x2b0
    > > [] submit_bio+0x6c/0xf0
    > > [] submit_bh+0xf0/0x130
    > > [] journal_commit_transaction+0xa40/0x1000 [jbd]
    > > [] ? try_to_del_timer_sync+0x44/0x90
    > > [] kjournald+0xe7/0x250 [jbd]
    > > [] ? autoremove_wake_function+0x0/0x40
    > > [] ? kjournald+0x0/0x250 [jbd]
    > > [] kthread+0x4d/0x80
    > > [] child_rip+0xa/0x11
    > > [] ? restore_args+0x0/0x30
    > > [] ? kthread+0x0/0x80
    > > [] ? child_rip+0x0/0x11
    > >
    > > ---[ end trace bd85cedf792d0f08 ]---
    > >

    > This has now made it into the Linus' tree:

    Why does this happen

    > ------------[ cut here ]------------
    > WARNING: at /home/rafael/src/linux-2.6/include/linux/blkdev.h:447 blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0()
    > Modules linked in: rtc_cmos rtc_core sr_mod rtc_lib snd_hda_intel cdrom floppy snd_pcm snd_timer serio_raw snd_page_alloc ohci1394 snd_hwdep ieee1394 sky2 snd soundcore joydev button wmi evdev sg raid456 async_xor async_memcpy async_tx xor raid0 usbhid ff_memless ehci_hcd ohci_hcd sd_mod edd raid1 ext3 jbd fan pata_marvell pata_atiixp thermal processor
    > Pid: 2264, comm: kjournald Not tainted 2.6.26-git #203
    >
    > Call Trace:
    > [] warn_on_slowpath+0x5f/0x80
    > [] ? __lock_acquire+0x8d5/0x1290
    > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > [] blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0
    > [] bitmap_startwrite+0xbf/0x1b0
    > [] ? bio_alloc_bioset+0x54/0xb0
    > [] make_request+0x39c/0x810 [raid1]
    > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > [] generic_make_request+0x17d/0x2b0
    > [] submit_bio+0x6c/0xf0
    > [] submit_bh+0xf0/0x130
    > [] journal_commit_transaction+0xa40/0x1000 [jbd]
    > [] ? try_to_del_timer_sync+0x44/0x90
    > [] kjournald+0xe7/0x250 [jbd]
    > [] ? autoremove_wake_function+0x0/0x40
    > [] ? kjournald+0x0/0x250 [jbd]
    > [] kthread+0x4d/0x80
    > [] child_rip+0xa/0x11
    > [] ? restore_args+0x0/0x30
    > [] ? kthread+0x0/0x80
    > [] ? child_rip+0x0/0x11
    >
    > ---[ end trace a367ac91f145af0b ]---

    a) that's a real bug. ->queue_flags requires queue_lock coverage
    for the nonatomic bitops and without that we have ghastly subtle
    races.

    b) queue_is_locked() is wrong. On CONFIG_PREEMPT=y, CONFIG_SMP=n
    kernels we *require* that preemption be disabled via
    spin_lock(queue_lock) but that function fails to handle this case
    correctly.

    c) WARN_ON_ONCE() is pretty porky and if we want to retain those
    warnings in queue_flag_test_and_clear() and
    queue_flag_test_and_set() (which seems a good idea) then they should
    be uninlined.

  8. 2.6.27-rc1: WARNING: at /home/rafael/src/linux-next/include/linux/blkdev.h:447

    On Thursday, 17 of July 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> [...]

    > Pid: 2264, comm: kjournald Not tainted 2.6.26-git #203
    >
    > Call Trace:
    > [] warn_on_slowpath+0x5f/0x80
    > [] ? __lock_acquire+0x8d5/0x1290
    > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > [] blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0
    > [] bitmap_startwrite+0xbf/0x1b0
    > [] ? bio_alloc_bioset+0x54/0xb0
    > [] make_request+0x39c/0x810 [raid1]
    > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    > [] generic_make_request+0x17d/0x2b0
    > [] submit_bio+0x6c/0xf0
    > [] submit_bh+0xf0/0x130
    > [] journal_commit_transaction+0xa40/0x1000 [jbd]

    This also happens in 2.6.27-rc1:

    ------------[ cut here ]------------
    WARNING: at /home/rafael/src/linux-2.6/include/linux/blkdev.h:447 blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0()
    Modules linked in: snd_hda_intel snd_pcm rtc_cmos rtc_core sr_mod snd_timer floppy rtc_lib snd_page_alloc ohci1394 snd_hwdep snd cdrom ieee1394 serio_raw soundcore sky2 wmi button joydev evdev sg raid456 async_xor async_memcpy async_tx xor raid0 usbhid ff_memless ehci_hcd ohci_hcd sd_mod crc_t10dif edd raid1 ext3 jbd fan pata_marvell pata_atiixp thermal processor
    Pid: 2268, comm: kjournald Not tainted 2.6.27-rc1-git #211

    Call Trace:
    [] warn_on_slowpath+0x5f/0x80
    [] ? cache_alloc_debugcheck_after+0xc3/0x1f0
    [] ? __lock_acquire+0x865/0xef0
    [] blk_plug_device+0x9b/0xb0
    [] bitmap_startwrite+0xbf/0x1b0
    [] ? bio_alloc_bioset+0x54/0xb0
    [] make_request+0x39d/0x810 [raid1]
    [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    [] ? mempool_alloc+0x5b/0x140
    [] generic_make_request+0x17e/0x2b0
    [] submit_bio+0x6c/0xf0
    [] submit_bh+0xf0/0x130
    [] journal_commit_transaction+0xa75/0x1040 [jbd]
    [] ? try_to_del_timer_sync+0x44/0x90
    [] kjournald+0xe7/0x250 [jbd]
    [] ? autoremove_wake_function+0x0/0x40
    [] ? kjournald+0x0/0x250 [jbd]