Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008 - Kernel

This is a discussion on Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008 - Kernel ; On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 13:31 -0400, Nicolas Pitre wrote: > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Dan Williams wrote: > > > On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 18:15 +0200, Michael Buesch wrote: > > > On Thursday 10 July 2008 18:12:32 Stefanik ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008

  1. Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008

    On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 13:31 -0400, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Dan Williams wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 18:15 +0200, Michael Buesch wrote:
    > > > On Thursday 10 July 2008 18:12:32 Stefanik Gábor wrote:
    > > > > Some other topics which might be of interest/good to include:
    > > > > - New chipsets needing drivers (SiS 16x, Marvell, etc.)
    > > >
    > > > I have no idea what to discuss about non-existing drivers, really.
    > > > Something like: "Do we need that driver? Everyone votes YES and is happy"?

    > >
    > > Maybe during the week we could organize some hackfests to work on the
    > > Marvell/SiS/etc mac80211 drivers? Everyone bring their favorite
    > > non-working Marvell 88w83xx card and we make mrv8k our bitch or
    > > something like that.

    >
    > FYI...
    >
    > Lennert Buytenhek and I are writing a GPL driver for mv8300 class of
    > Marvell WIFI chips right now, present and future versions. This is
    > Marvell work as we work for Marvell. I have access to firmware sources,
    > etc. but obviously cannot share them.
    >
    > We both will be in Ottawa next week.


    Great! Lets definitely sit down and talk then. There is already some
    GPL-ed source code for 83xx chips out there but it always used net80211,
    not mac80211. So the mrv8k effort is meant to write a mac80211 driver
    for 8310/8335/etc and perhaps TopDog chips too since they don't seem
    that much different from a driver perspective.

    Some of the issues with the current Marvell 83xx GPL drivers that have
    gotten out are (a) code style, (b) lots of commented out stuff that's
    never used, (c) OS abstraction that's unnecessary on Linux, (d) doesn't
    use mac80211, and (e) uses private ioctls. So hopefully you're writing
    a new 83xx driver from scratch

    We cleaned up a lot of stuff for the OLPC 8388 libertas driver, but
    unfortunately we never were able to get the Marvell 8388 team onboard,
    and so they just went off and kept working on their driver and didn't
    really move the upstream libertas driver forward at all.

    Dan


    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  2. Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008

    On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 13:58 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
    > On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 13:31 -0400, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
    > > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Dan Williams wrote:
    > >
    > > > On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 18:15 +0200, Michael Buesch wrote:
    > > > > On Thursday 10 July 2008 18:12:32 Stefanik Gábor wrote:
    > > > > > Some other topics which might be of interest/good to include:
    > > > > > - New chipsets needing drivers (SiS 16x, Marvell, etc.)
    > > > >
    > > > > I have no idea what to discuss about non-existing drivers, really.
    > > > > Something like: "Do we need that driver? Everyone votes YES and is happy"?
    > > >
    > > > Maybe during the week we could organize some hackfests to work on the
    > > > Marvell/SiS/etc mac80211 drivers? Everyone bring their favorite
    > > > non-working Marvell 88w83xx card and we make mrv8k our bitch or
    > > > something like that.

    > >
    > > FYI...
    > >
    > > Lennert Buytenhek and I are writing a GPL driver for mv8300 class of
    > > Marvell WIFI chips right now, present and future versions. This is
    > > Marvell work as we work for Marvell. I have access to firmware sources,
    > > etc. but obviously cannot share them.
    > >
    > > We both will be in Ottawa next week.

    >
    > Great! Lets definitely sit down and talk then. There is already some
    > GPL-ed source code for 83xx chips out there but it always used net80211,
    > not mac80211. So the mrv8k effort is meant to write a mac80211 driver
    > for 8310/8335/etc and perhaps TopDog chips too since they don't seem
    > that much different from a driver perspective.
    >
    > Some of the issues with the current Marvell 83xx GPL drivers that have
    > gotten out are (a) code style, (b) lots of commented out stuff that's
    > never used, (c) OS abstraction that's unnecessary on Linux, (d) doesn't
    > use mac80211, and (e) uses private ioctls. So hopefully you're writing
    > a new 83xx driver from scratch
    >
    > We cleaned up a lot of stuff for the OLPC 8388 libertas driver, but
    > unfortunately we never were able to get the Marvell 8388 team onboard,
    > and so they just went off and kept working on their driver and didn't
    > really move the upstream libertas driver forward at all.


    Forgot to finish this last bit...

    So hopefully that won't happen here, since this would be pretty much the
    same situation up to this point. Ideally you can get the internal
    Marvell developers onboard so we're all working on essentially the same
    bits, exactly like Intel has done. Yeah, they develop on private trees
    internally but at the end of the day, their base code is the same
    upstream base code everyone else uses.

    Dan

    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  3. Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008

    On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 06:05:13PM +0300, Guy Cohen wrote:
    > I think that probably the most burning topics were a little diminished
    > in our agenda, and should be put higher:
    > - cfg80211/nl80211 - much of the current wext begins to fall behind
    > the emerging capabilities of the mac80211 and moreover - from future
    > abilities and needs of future fullmac devices. The functionality and
    > ABI to userspace must be finalized as soon as possible. The status of
    > this is very unclear and should be treated more thoroughly, and it
    > seems it can't be shared with 5 other topics in less than 2 hours.


    FWIW, I listed this one first under Future Work.

    > - fullmac support - seems to be very relevant in the next couple of
    > years with the integration of wifi into low power devices running
    > linux.


    Not sure exactly what you mean with this one. Are you talking about
    the lib80211 line item? Or enhancements to the mac80211 component
    to support full(er) MAC designs?

    > I think that these two topics should take precedence over other topics
    > that although important consume more time in the agenda, and are
    > currently less likely to have impact on the average users such as 11s
    > and 11w.
    >
    > it would be good if these topics will get substantial time slot in the agenda.


    There are lots of items listed, and I'm not sure we will cover all
    of them. If there are any that you would like to suggest be dropped
    completely then please do so.

    That said, I don't think we have enough time for real working sessions
    on Tuesday. I think it would be better just to touch on a variety
    of topics that can benefit from some face-to-face discussions.
    From that perspective, I think some status reports and some brief
    proposals are most appropriate.

    I'll post a revised (mostly just augmented) agenda proposal today.

    John
    --
    John W. Linville
    linville@tuxdriver.com
    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  4. Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008

    On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 13:42 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
    > On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 06:05:13PM +0300, Guy Cohen wrote:
    > > I think that probably the most burning topics were a little diminished
    > > in our agenda, and should be put higher:
    > > - cfg80211/nl80211 - much of the current wext begins to fall behind
    > > the emerging capabilities of the mac80211 and moreover - from future
    > > abilities and needs of future fullmac devices. The functionality and
    > > ABI to userspace must be finalized as soon as possible. The status of
    > > this is very unclear and should be treated more thoroughly, and it
    > > seems it can't be shared with 5 other topics in less than 2 hours.

    >
    > FWIW, I listed this one first under Future Work.
    >
    > > - fullmac support - seems to be very relevant in the next couple of
    > > years with the integration of wifi into low power devices running
    > > linux.

    >
    > Not sure exactly what you mean with this one. Are you talking about
    > the lib80211 line item? Or enhancements to the mac80211 component
    > to support full(er) MAC designs?


    I hope just lib80211. We shouldn't be extending mac80211 to fullmac or
    quasi-fullmac parts. But we can certainly share a lot of stuff.
    lib80211 is where I see any additional fullmac effort going.

    Dan

    > > I think that these two topics should take precedence over other topics
    > > that although important consume more time in the agenda, and are
    > > currently less likely to have impact on the average users such as 11s
    > > and 11w.
    > >
    > > it would be good if these topics will get substantial time slot in the agenda.

    >
    > There are lots of items listed, and I'm not sure we will cover all
    > of them. If there are any that you would like to suggest be dropped
    > completely then please do so.
    >
    > That said, I don't think we have enough time for real working sessions
    > on Tuesday. I think it would be better just to touch on a variety
    > of topics that can benefit from some face-to-face discussions.
    > From that perspective, I think some status reports and some brief
    > proposals are most appropriate.
    >
    > I'll post a revised (mostly just augmented) agenda proposal today.
    >
    > John


    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  5. Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Dan Williams wrote:

    > Some of the issues with the current Marvell 83xx GPL drivers that have
    > gotten out are (a) code style, (b) lots of commented out stuff that's
    > never used, (c) OS abstraction that's unnecessary on Linux, (d) doesn't
    > use mac80211, and (e) uses private ioctls. So hopefully you're writing
    > a new 83xx driver from scratch


    Yes, this is all from scratch. The objective for this work is to be
    "mainlinable".

    > We cleaned up a lot of stuff for the OLPC 8388 libertas driver, but
    > unfortunately we never were able to get the Marvell 8388 team onboard,
    > and so they just went off and kept working on their driver and didn't
    > really move the upstream libertas driver forward at all.


    Libertas is a rather different beast.


    Nicolas
    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  6. REVISED AGENDA -- Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008

    I revised the agenda based on the feedback from last week.
    Most changes are fairly minor, although I moved the vendor/distro
    round table after lunch to give us a chance to cover some in-progress
    work beforehand.

    As I mentioned elsewhere in the thread, I don't think we have enough
    time for work sessions on Tuesday. As others have pointed-out, there
    is plenty of time for extended discussions during the days at OLS.
    So I think we should keep Tuesday for more high-level design and
    development process discussions.

    Feel free to volunteer to cover any of the listed topics. Further
    suggestions to alter or augment the agenda are, of course, still
    welcome as well.

    Thanks!

    John

    ---

    3rd Linux Wireless Summit
    Ottawa, Canada
    22 July 2008

    Proposed Agenda

    0830 Meet & Greet

    Introductions and opening remarks

    0900 Status Reports

    Overview of where things stand today

    - 802.11n

    - QoS/Multiqueue

    - spectrum management

    - Mesh mode (802.11s)

    - RF kill

    1015 Break

    1030 Current Work

    Short presentations/discussions about work in progress

    - access point mode

    - cfg80211/nl80211
    - time to push to replace WEXT?
    - tool enhancements and/or userland support?

    - regulatory enforcement (802.11d, CRDA)

    - encrypted management frames (802.11w)

    - virtual hardware (mac80211_hwsim)

    - WiMAX

    1200 Lunch/Break (provided by HP)

    1300 Vendor/Distro Round Table

    Representatives from hardware vendors and Linux distributions
    discuss issues around cooperation between themselves and the
    development community, what we are doing well, and what problems we
    are causing for each other.

    1445 Break

    1500 Future work

    Short presentations/discussions about work that has previously
    been suggested or requested

    - power management
    - suspend/resume
    - power savings

    - lib80211 (code sharing w/ full MAC drivers)

    - rate scaling algorithms
    - minstrel
    - others?

    - userland MLME

    - userland driver implementation

    - organized testing?

    1645 Break

    1700 Maintainence Issues

    Round table discussion of issues related to maintenance of
    the wireless trees

    - trivial/cleanup patches
    - testing or other requirements?
    - should they have lower priority?
    - should they require ACKs from primary author?

    - submissions to -stable
    - who should drive it?
    - what policies?

    - rate scaling algs
    - driver-specific ok? what limitations?
    - build policies (part of mac80211.ko?)

    - questions/suggestions/complaints

    1800 Dinner/Break (sorry, no funding)

    2000 BoF/Break-out Sessions

    Impromptu and/or unscheduled discussions as desired by group
    participants

    --
    John W. Linville
    linville@tuxdriver.com
    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  7. Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008

    On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 14:14 -0400, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Dan Williams wrote:
    >
    > > Some of the issues with the current Marvell 83xx GPL drivers that have
    > > gotten out are (a) code style, (b) lots of commented out stuff that's
    > > never used, (c) OS abstraction that's unnecessary on Linux, (d) doesn't
    > > use mac80211, and (e) uses private ioctls. So hopefully you're writing
    > > a new 83xx driver from scratch

    >
    > Yes, this is all from scratch. The objective for this work is to be
    > "mainlinable".
    >
    > > We cleaned up a lot of stuff for the OLPC 8388 libertas driver, but
    > > unfortunately we never were able to get the Marvell 8388 team onboard,
    > > and so they just went off and kept working on their driver and didn't
    > > really move the upstream libertas driver forward at all.

    >
    > Libertas is a rather different beast.


    Obviously; this was just an observation about the last time we got a
    wireless driver from Marvell. I expect it to work out rather
    differently this time simply on the strength of your and Lennert's
    track-record, but if it's really just you two guys and you don't have
    buy-in from the actual hardware and software teams inside Marvell, it's
    hard to see how this wouldn't just happen again.

    Dan

    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  8. Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008


    > > Not sure exactly what you mean with this one. Are you talking about
    > > the lib80211 line item? Or enhancements to the mac80211 component
    > > to support full(er) MAC designs?

    >
    > I hope just lib80211. We shouldn't be extending mac80211 to fullmac or
    > quasi-fullmac parts. But we can certainly share a lot of stuff.
    > lib80211 is where I see any additional fullmac effort going.


    Just a minor point wrt. lib80211: I see little use in creating yet
    another module since hopefully soon enough fullmac chipsets will bind
    cfg80211 anyway so all of that stuff might as well be in there.

    johannes

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Comment: Johannes Berg (powerbook)

    iQIcBAABAgAGBQJIfbA2AAoJEKVg1VMiehFYPUwQAIjia5olwI Op/+ZYuiQGEb4+
    o2vuoBRTd8hcVAXR7SPj3vCPSA072Sgcfy7nxL1C8Wjj3BUKDr Dd4s6+bFLE3TTd
    lYbH59eh0OsMFdAZNrNwwGFsC+VpOtPGRqY0WfgeerhmbvkSXs WIcPd5c7kQ1S6v
    pzcQ0ajWroOtaSn0+Ue+45uugAIDskexqA+WWbHPC15I3b2d7u SDUdBq2C3StlPj
    IkK5g5Z/hlSGydPtutkeNsAkiml6VpfJJJLG1dRA99pcZThQwzxhFdhnKo neSnXb
    PToADdr3LfmzOMQIJPjLGcrsnDyX+hkpXPARJXcu+BpnizA7lS kXXPw/Yq/sHQLA
    g4r+nEUnPwkVUAUYJ9AfaVNAKB77sI8+yPxV0Gj8PynlkIkelc 5oSYEWxC11yh49
    cSrXeTwWO+YeuNacBx2BGykTxoSzeUQB9XVMUkyr4tqqvV1c7A/he4Q5PcIoM1RU
    /Ns22DdqYHn1LRpwuCwdZkkks52ks7Cb6nsDq5cc5gd0ieFufTz 3TxqfysLPDnWR
    bWSxP3LIRsahzpM6czIPaG3WUufEocozPfN4c8BDaNjh3MIeU4 1xMXvSsgMKBjF/
    8UQWYnjmeZNed5GlEd9+fYxVI9p/uJASoneX5WgbTQIUXEoX8rb+DaI7xJfQDeMt
    g9pPFKlCvhO7aWzxKxq0
    =BHM8
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  9. Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008

    On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 10:24 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
    > > > Not sure exactly what you mean with this one. Are you talking about
    > > > the lib80211 line item? Or enhancements to the mac80211 component
    > > > to support full(er) MAC designs?

    > >
    > > I hope just lib80211. We shouldn't be extending mac80211 to fullmac or
    > > quasi-fullmac parts. But we can certainly share a lot of stuff.
    > > lib80211 is where I see any additional fullmac effort going.

    >
    > Just a minor point wrt. lib80211: I see little use in creating yet
    > another module since hopefully soon enough fullmac chipsets will bind
    > cfg80211 anyway so all of that stuff might as well be in there.


    worksforme, I don't really care where that stuff goes as long as we get
    it in one place

    Dan

    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  10. 2nd REVISED AGENDA -- Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008

    I adjusted the times based on the schedule for lunch and coffee breaks
    from the OLS crew. I also adjusted the length of some slots, and
    move the BoF/Break-Out/BarCamp section before adjourning for dinner.

    I'm still looking for more/different topics and for people to
    explicitly claim the ones on the list...speak up!

    John

    ---

    3rd Linux Wireless Summit
    Les Suites Hotel, Byward Suite
    Ottawa, Canada
    22 July 2008

    Proposed Agenda

    0830 Meet & Greet

    Introductions and opening remarks

    0900 Status Reports

    Overview of where things stand today

    - QoS/Multiqueue

    - 802.11n

    - spectrum management

    - Mesh mode (802.11s)

    - RF kill

    - driver status reports

    1000 Break

    1030 Current Work

    Short presentations/discussions about work in progress

    - access point mode

    - cfg80211/nl80211
    - time to push to replace WEXT?
    - tool enhancements and/or userland support?

    - regulatory enforcement (802.11d, CRDA)

    - encrypted management frames (802.11w)

    - virtual hardware (mac80211_hwsim)

    - WiMAX

    1200 Vendor/Distro Round Table

    Representatives from hardware vendors and Linux distributions
    discuss issues around cooperation between themselves and the
    development community, what we are doing well, and what problems we
    are causing for each other.

    1230 Lunch/Break (provided by HP)

    1330 Future work

    Short presentations/discussions about work that has previously
    been suggested or requested

    - power management
    - suspend/resume
    - power savings

    - lib80211 (code sharing w/ full MAC drivers)

    - rate scaling algorithms
    - minstrel
    - others?

    - userland MLME

    - userland driver implementation

    - organized testing (anyone have a proposal?)

    1500 BoF/Break-out/BarCamp Session Proposals

    1530 Break

    1600 BoF/Break-out/BarCamp Sessions

    Impromptu and/or unscheduled discussions as desired by group
    participants

    1730 BoF/Break-out/BarCamp Session Reports

    1800 Maintainence Issues

    Round table discussion of issues related to maintenance of
    the wireless trees

    - trivial/cleanup patches
    - testing or other requirements?
    - should they have lower priority?
    - should they require ACKs from primary author?

    - submissions to -stable
    - who should drive it?
    - what policies?

    - rate scaling algs
    - driver-specific ok? what limitations?
    - build policies (part of mac80211.ko?)

    - questions/suggestions/complaints

    1830 Adjourn

    --
    John W. Linville
    linville@tuxdriver.com
    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  11. Re: 2nd REVISED AGENDA -- Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008

    On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 02:48:03PM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:

    > 3rd Linux Wireless Summit
    > Les Suites Hotel, Byward Suite
    > Ottawa, Canada
    > 22 July 2008


    Just to emphasize, please note the location. The mini-summit will
    be held at Les Suites, _not_ at the Congress Centre.

    John
    --
    John W. Linville
    linville@tuxdriver.com
    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  12. Re: 2nd REVISED AGENDA -- Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008

    On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:48 AM, John W. Linville
    wrote:

    > - regulatory enforcement (802.11d, CRDA)


    I'll cover this. If we can't cover this well in the time frame
    provided we can discuss this over the course of the week in impromptu
    sessions.

    Luis
    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  13. Re: 2nd REVISED AGENDA -- Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008

    On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:48 AM, John W. Linville
    wrote:

    > I'm still looking for more/different topics


    A couple I can think of:

    * Compat-wireless, this can be discussed after new MQ patch. We may
    have to freeze mac80211 for old kernels for compat-wireless after the
    MQ patch goes through and only leave in it fixes moving forward. This
    consideration is because porting the MQ patch may be very difficult to
    maintain. It was expected though that the first MQ patch could not be
    ported though so we'll see, we just might be able to port this
    properly. We can talk about this further at the summit.

    * Testing -- lets get serious about automation of testing. The Orbit
    grid is still available, we just need to put together scripts and test
    scenarios.

    * Rate control cleanup -- this needs to a good review and cleanup.
    Probably not high on our priority list though. We can talk about this
    further during the "rate scaling algs" section on the agenda.

    Luis
    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  14. 3rd REVISED AGENDA -- Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008

    One more adjustment to account for change in the lunch schedule.

    John

    ---

    3rd Linux Wireless Summit
    Les Suites Hotel, Byward Suite
    Ottawa, Canada
    22 July 2008

    Proposed Agenda

    0830 Meet & Greet

    Introductions and opening remarks

    0900 Status Reports

    Overview of where things stand today

    - QoS/Multiqueue

    - 802.11n

    - spectrum management

    - Mesh mode (802.11s)

    - RF kill

    - driver status reports

    1000 Break

    1030 Current Work

    Short presentations/discussions about work in progress

    - access point mode

    - cfg80211/nl80211
    - time to push to replace WEXT?
    - tool enhancements and/or userland support?

    - regulatory enforcement (802.11d, CRDA)

    - encrypted management frames (802.11w)

    - virtual hardware (mac80211_hwsim)

    - WiMAX

    1200 Vendor/Distro Round Table

    Representatives from hardware vendors and Linux distributions
    discuss issues around cooperation between themselves and the
    development community, what we are doing well, and what problems we
    are causing for each other.

    1230 Lunch/Break (provided)

    1400 Future work

    Short presentations/discussions about work that has previously
    been suggested or requested

    - power management
    - suspend/resume
    - power savings

    - lib80211 (code sharing w/ full MAC drivers)

    - rate scaling algorithms
    - minstrel
    - others?

    - userland MLME

    - userland driver implementation

    - organized testing (anyone have a proposal?)

    1530 BoF/Break-out/BarCamp Session Proposals

    1600 Break

    1630 BoF/Break-out/BarCamp Sessions

    Impromptu and/or unscheduled discussions as desired by group
    participants

    1800 BoF/Break-out/BarCamp Session Reports

    1830 Maintainence Issues

    Round table discussion of issues related to maintenance of
    the wireless trees

    - trivial/cleanup patches
    - testing or other requirements?
    - should they have lower priority?
    - should they require ACKs from primary author?

    - submissions to -stable
    - who should drive it?
    - what policies?

    - rate scaling algs
    - driver-specific ok? what limitations?
    - build policies (part of mac80211.ko?)

    - questions/suggestions/complaints

    1900 Adjourn
    --
    John W. Linville
    linville@tuxdriver.com
    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  15. Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008

    On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 14:14 -0400, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Dan Williams wrote:
    >
    > > Some of the issues with the current Marvell 83xx GPL drivers that have
    > > gotten out are (a) code style, (b) lots of commented out stuff that's
    > > never used, (c) OS abstraction that's unnecessary on Linux, (d) doesn't
    > > use mac80211, and (e) uses private ioctls. So hopefully you're writing
    > > a new 83xx driver from scratch

    >
    > Yes, this is all from scratch. The objective for this work is to be
    > "mainlinable".


    BTW, any chance on putting up a git repo somewhere so others can poke
    around with it? I'm quite interested in hacking on it.

    Dan

    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  16. Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Dan Williams wrote:

    > On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 14:14 -0400, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
    > > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Dan Williams wrote:
    > >
    > > > Some of the issues with the current Marvell 83xx GPL drivers that have
    > > > gotten out are (a) code style, (b) lots of commented out stuff that's
    > > > never used, (c) OS abstraction that's unnecessary on Linux, (d) doesn't
    > > > use mac80211, and (e) uses private ioctls. So hopefully you're writing
    > > > a new 83xx driver from scratch

    > >
    > > Yes, this is all from scratch. The objective for this work is to be
    > > "mainlinable".

    >
    > BTW, any chance on putting up a git repo somewhere so others can poke
    > around with it? I'm quite interested in hacking on it.


    Eventually, of course. Let's discuss f2f tomorrow.


    Nicolas
    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2