mtrr registers with >= 4GB ram - Kernel

This is a discussion on mtrr registers with >= 4GB ram - Kernel ; As documented at https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/210780 and http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33821469 (as well as other places - google 4gb mtrr bug), the kernel appears to misdetect the mtrr registers on many machines with 4gb ram, causing all sorts of issues - especially with video drivers ...

  1. mtrr registers with >= 4GB ram

    As documented at https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/210780 and
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33821469 (as well as other
    places - google 4gb mtrr bug), the kernel appears to misdetect the mtrr
    registers on many machines with 4gb ram, causing all sorts of issues -
    especially with video drivers in X. It is possible to rewrite the correct
    registers using a pretty hackish script, but the bug should probably be
    fixed at the kernel level.

    Please CC me personally when replying, as I'm not on LKML. I'd be happy
    to try out patches if such come along

    Thanks,
    Rann

  2. Re: mtrr registers with >= 4GB ram

    On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Rann Bar-On wrote:
    > As documented at https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/210780 and
    > http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33821469 (as well as other
    > places - google 4gb mtrr bug), the kernel appears to misdetect the mtrr
    > registers on many machines with 4gb ram, causing all sorts of issues -
    > especially with video drivers in X. It is possible to rewrite the correct
    > registers using a pretty hackish script, but the bug should probably be
    > fixed at the kernel level.
    >
    > Please CC me personally when replying, as I'm not on LKML. I'd be happy to
    > try out patches if such come along

    please try tip/master
    http://people.redhat.com/mingo/tip.git/readme.txt

    we have some patches there ...
    x86: mtrr cleanup for converting continuous to discrete layout, v8
    x86: mtrr cleanup for converting continuous to discrete layout v8 - fix
    x86: mtrr cleanup for converting continuous to discrete - auto detect v4
    x86: mtrr cleanup for converting continuous to discrete layout - fix #2

    YH