High Memory problem on 2.4.22 Linux, 2GB ppc card - Kernel

This is a discussion on High Memory problem on 2.4.22 Linux, 2GB ppc card - Kernel ; Hi all, I am working on a PPC Motorola card, which runs Linux 2.4.22. The card has 2 GB onboard memory. But with use 1456 MB of the available memory. To increase the memory capacity i need to increase the ...

  1. High Memory problem on 2.4.22 Linux, 2GB ppc card

    Hi all,
    I am working on a PPC Motorola card, which runs Linux 2.4.22. The card
    has 2 GB onboard memory. But with use 1456 MB of the available memory.
    To increase the memory capacity i need to increase the used memory at
    least 64 MB. With CONFIG_HIGHMEM option all of the 2 GB memory can be
    used but, but the fc driver on the card has no high memory support, so
    this caused problems.
    Then i saw that the memory is limited to 1456 by
    #define MAX_LOW_MEM 0x5B000000 setting in pgtable.c. I tried to
    increase it by 64 MB but i could only increase the value of MAX_LOW_MEM
    by 47 MB (1503 MB) without CONFIG_HIGHMEM option.

    1)Is there any other setting that i should set other than
    MAX_LOW_MEM to increase the usable memory to 1520 ? Do i need to
    change TASK_SIZE or KERNEL_START?
    2)I knew that the addressable physical memory without high memory option
    was 1 G. How was it possible to address 1503 MB without CONFIG_HIGHMEM
    ? What is the max usable memory for 2.4.22 kernel?

    Thanks,
    Rinanir.

  2. Re: High Memory problem on 2.4.22 Linux, 2GB ppc card

    I want to change the MAX_LOW_MEM to 1520 MB, what other settings do i
    need to change? I do not want to use HIGHMEM because the Fiber channel
    does not support highmem. The card is 2 GB ppc. 1520 MB is enough. At
    the moment card works with 1456 MB MAX_LOW_MEM. but setting the value
    MAX_LOW_MEM to 1520 results problems. I believe there should be other
    settings.

    Thanks