[ANNOUNCE] The Linux Test Project has been Released for JUNE 2008 - Kernel

This is a discussion on [ANNOUNCE] The Linux Test Project has been Released for JUNE 2008 - Kernel ; Dear All, The Linux Test Project test suite has been released for the month of JUNE 2008. The latest version of the test-suite contains 3000+ tests for the Linux OS and can be found at http://ltp.sourceforge.net/ . Latest happenings in ...

  1. [ANNOUNCE] The Linux Test Project has been Released for JUNE 2008

    Dear All,

    The Linux Test Project test suite has been released for the month of
    JUNE 2008. The latest version of the test-suite contains 3000+ tests
    for the Linux OS and can be found at
    http://ltp.sourceforge.net/.
    Latest happenings in LTP can also be found at:
    http://ltp.sourceforge.net/wiki/,
    http://ltp.sourceforge.net/wikiArchives.php, and,
    IRC: irc.freenode.org #ltp.

    JUNE 2008 Highlights:

    * Addition of timerfd(), utimensat(), gettid() & io_cancel() tests,
    * Addition of CPU & MEMORY HOTPLUG tests,
    * Addition of Process Event Connector tests,
    * Addition of Hackbench test,
    * RT tests fix for START_LATENCY,
    * FS_BIND fix for ia64 & for kernels below 2.6.15,
    * SE-Linux fix to build against the latest refpolicy headers,
    * Concurrency Fixes for some tests.

    JUNE 2008 LTP Contributors:

    * Masatake YAMATO,
    * Davide Libenzi,
    * Rusty Russell,
    * Michael Kerrisk,
    * Bryce Harrington,
    * Stephen Smalley,
    * Renaud Lottiaux,
    * Vernon Mauery,
    * Louis Rilling,
    * Li Zefan,
    * Roy Lee,
    * Andrew Vagin,
    * Veerendra Chandrappa,
    * Le Rouzic,
    * Garrett Cooper,
    * Giuseppe Cavallaro,
    * Carmelo Amoroso,
    * Chirag Jog,
    * Max Stirling,
    * Shi Weihua,
    * Matthieu Fertré,
    * Matt Fleming,

    Note(s) from the Maintainer:

    June 2008 saw the initiation of Project collaboration. Thanks to
    Masatake Yamato, who will help in porting a significant amount of
    syscall test cases from the Crackerjack Project to LTP. I am also
    excited to see that new test cases are being submitted to LTP with
    increasing pace. I hope that the pace accelerates much much more. The
    next half of 2008 will also see some major Infrastructural improvements
    in LTP along with our unending endeavor to add more test cases. From now
    onwards i would also like to acknowledge each and every contributor in
    this release mail for their valuable contribution(s). I will release
    results on 2 diff. kernels(one a bit old and another a bit younger) on
    same architecture and for those architectures available at my disposal.
    This will help us to compare results for 2 extreme kernels.

    Our web site also contains other information such as:
    - A Linux test tools matrix
    - Technical papers
    - How To's on Linux testing
    - Code coverage analysis tool.

    We would encourage the community to post results to
    ltp-results@lists.sf.net,
    patches, new tests, bugs or comments/questions to ltp-list@lists.sf.net,
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...82&atid=103382
    (for New Bug(s)),
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...82&atid=303382
    (for New Patch(s)),
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...82&atid=353382
    (for New Feature Request(s))

    Please also see the Change Log Attached (JUNE 2008) for detailed
    changes.

    Happy testing,
    Regards--
    Subrata,

  2. Re: [ANNOUNCE] The Linux Test Project has been Released for JUNE 2008

    Subrata Modak wrote:
> [...]
    > same architecture and for those architectures available at my disposal.
    > This will help us to compare results for 2 extreme kernels.
    >

    > Our web site also contains other information such as:
    > - A Linux test tools matrix
    > - Technical papers
    > - How To's on Linux testing
    > - Code coverage analysis tool.
    >
    > We would encourage the community to post results to
    > ltp-results@lists.sf.net,
    > patches, new tests, bugs or comments/questions to ltp-list@lists.sf.net,
    > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...82&atid=103382
    > (for New Bug(s)),
    > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...82&atid=303382
    > (for New Patch(s)),
    > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...82&atid=353382
    > (for New Feature Request(s))
    >
    > Please also see the Change Log Attached (JUNE 2008) for detailed

    Hi,

    I decided to give this LTP release a try on my workstation, and there
    were quite a few test failures. Is that expected? I expect that some
    of the failures are probably related to kernel features I have turned
    off (I try to get rid of stuff I don't need where possible).

    If the failures are not expected, what should I do? Would the log file
    be of any help? Are there any extra options I should supply? I just ran:

    ../runltp -p -l result.yyyymmdd.log

    If failures are expected on some systems or with some kernel
    configuration options, then let me know, and perhaps I can diff log
    files between kernel versions to look for new failures.

    Thanks,

    --
    Kevin Winchester

  3. Re: [ANNOUNCE] The Linux Test Project has been Released for JUNE 2008

    On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 19:04 -0300, Kevin Winchester wrote:
> [...]
    > >

    > > Our web site also contains other information such as:
    > > - A Linux test tools matrix
    > > - Technical papers
    > > - How To's on Linux testing
    > > - Code coverage analysis tool.
    > >
    > > We would encourage the community to post results to
    > > ltp-results@lists.sf.net,
    > > patches, new tests, bugs or comments/questions to ltp-list@lists.sf.net,
    > > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...82&atid=103382
    > > (for New Bug(s)),
    > > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...82&atid=303382
    > > (for New Patch(s)),
    > > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...82&atid=353382
    > > (for New Feature Request(s))
    > >
    > > Please also see the Change Log Attached (JUNE 2008) for detailed
    > > changes.
    > >

    > Hi,
    >
    > I decided to give this LTP release a try on my workstation, and there

    Thanks for starting to use LTP.

    > were quite a few test failures. Is that expected? I expect that some

    Failures can be for various reasons. May be you have hit a kernel bug.
    But yes, there may be reasons for the corresponding support not being
    available in the Kernel.

    > of the failures are probably related to kernel features I have turned
    > off (I try to get rid of stuff I don't need where possible).
    >
    > If the failures are not expected, what should I do? Would the log file
    > be of any help? Are there any extra options I should supply? I just ran:

    You can try to use:

    ../runltp -h

    for all options that you would like to use. If you like you can also use
    the:
    ../runltp -g

    option to generate a swanky HTML output file, which will help you to
    decipher the exact reason for failure. You can also see the normal test
    output file, from where the HTML is parsed out at ltp/output directory.
    This will be available after the tests are complete.

    Meanwhile i will request you to give a try to the following test results
    that were uploaded to the site for the latest release. I tried to
    generate results for various architectures and kernel combinations. The
    file names are self explanatory. You can compare them with yours.

    http://ufpr.dl.sourceforge.net/sourc...ture-ia64.html
    http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/so...ure-ppc64.html
    http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/sou...re-x86_64.html
    http://ufpr.dl.sourceforge.net/sourc...ture-ia64.html