[ANNOUNCE] linux-staging tree created - Kernel

This is a discussion on [ANNOUNCE] linux-staging tree created - Kernel ; On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:37:56PM +0100, Will Newton wrote: > On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Greg KH wrote: > > On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 11:45:55AM +0100, Will Newton wrote: > >> > >> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: [ANNOUNCE] linux-staging tree created

    On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:37:56PM +0100, Will Newton wrote:
    > On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Greg KH wrote:
    > > On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 11:45:55AM +0100, Will Newton wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Would the linux-staging tree be an appropriate place to merge a new
    > >> architecture? Or would that be too large a change and should go via
    > >> its own tree?

    > > That is probably too big to go into -staging and should deserve its own
    > > tree based on the size of patches that have gone into creating a new
    > > architecture in the past.

    > Our tree is about 26000 lines of diff, including a few drivers.

    That's pretty sizable, I think it deserves its own tree.

    > > Do you have an example of one that is currently not included in the main
    > > kernel tree right now?

    > I have a tree that is currently about half way to public consumption,
    > although I don't think there's any point pushing it until we have a
    > publically available toolchain.

    Yeah, that would help as well

    thanks,

    greg k-h

  2. Re: [ANNOUNCE] linux-staging tree created

    On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Greg KH wrote:
    > Oh great, not yet-another-kernel-tree, just what the world needs...
    >
    > Yes, this is an announcement of a new kernel tree, linux-staging. It is
    > a quilt series of patches that can be found at:
    > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git
    >

    > In a long and meandering thread with some of the other kernel developers
    > a week or so ago, it came up that there is no single place for companies
    > and developers to put their code for testing while it gets cleaned up
    > for submission into the kernel tree.

    > All of the different subsystems
    > have trees, but they generally only want code that is about to go into
    > this release, or the next one. For stuff that is farther off, there is
    > no place to go.

    > So, here's the tree for it. From the README:
    >
    > PURPOSE
    >
    > The linux-staging tree was created to hold drivers and filesystems and
    > other semi-major additions to the Linux kernel that are not ready to be
    > merged at this point in time. It is here for companies and authors to
    > get a wider range of testing, and to allow for other members of the
    > community to help with the development of these features for the
    > eventual inclusion into the main kernel tree.
    >
    > This tree will be included in the daily linux-next builds, and will get
    > testing by all users of that tree.

    This is great. To let this be useful for wireless we'll need
    wireless-testing.git merged as we rely on it for the latest and
    greatest. Is this a possibility?

> [...]
    > - the code must be released under a Linux kernel-compatible
    > license
    > - the goal of the developers must be to merge this code into the
    > main kernel tree in the near future, but not for the next
    > kernel release.
    > - the code must build properly on the x86 platform
    > - this is not a tree for bugfixes or rewrites of existing kernel
    > code, this should be for new features, drivers, and
    > filesystems.
    > - the patches included must detail exactly what is needed to be
    > completed in order for them to be included into the main
    > kernel tree.
    > - there must be some email address associated with the patch
    > that can be used for bug reporting and questions about
    > cleanups and testing the code.
    >
    > What this tree is not:
    > - it is not a place to dump features that are being actively
    > developed by a community of people (reiserfs4 for example.)
    > - it is not a place to dump code and then run away, hoping that
    > someone else will do the cleanup work for you. While there
    > are developers available to do this kind of work, you need to
    > get someone to agree to "babysit" the code.
    >

    > I'll follow up this message with a list of the current status of the
    > individual patches and what is currently contained in the tree. I hope
    > to release a status like this every week or so, depending on how the
    > development goes.
    >
    > What I need from all of you:
    > Kernel Janitors:
    > Here is the perfect way to get involved. The code in this tree
    > is in desparate need of cleanups and fixes that can be trivially
    > found using 'sparse' and 'scripts/checkpatch.pl'. I'll gladly
    > take these kinds of patches and of course, correctly credit you.
    >
    > Linux driver project developers:
    > Same as above, here's a great place to start out helping with
    > real code. If any of you wants to take any of these drivers
    > over and become the primary contact point for them, just let me
    > know.
    >
    > Linux-next developers:
    > Stephen, I would really like this tree to be included in -next.
    > Yes, I know it contains things that will not be included in the
    > next release, but the inclusion and basic build testing that is
    > provided by your tree is invaluable. You can place it at the
    > end, and if there is even a whiff of a problem in any of the
    > patches, you have my full permission to drop them on the floor
    > and run away screaming (and let me know please, so I can fix it
    > up.)
    >
    > Linux kernel developers:
    > If there are any external patches floating around for drivers
    > that need to be cleaned up and gotten into the kernel tree,
    > please point them out to me and I'll be glad to add them to this
    > tree and work to get them included. Right now we are pushing:
    > - 192 files changed, 131073 insertions(+), 651 deletions(-)
    > so what's a few more thousand lines of code

    We have a few drivers which are not yet ready for
    wireless-testing.git. Airgo is one.

    Anyway, good stuff. Let me know what you think about letting this work
    for wireless too.

    Luis

  3. Re: [ANNOUNCE] linux-staging tree created

    On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 07:14:32AM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

    > This is great. To let this be useful for wireless we'll need
    > wireless-testing.git merged as we rely on it for the latest and
    > greatest. Is this a possibility?

    > We have a few drivers which are not yet ready for
    > wireless-testing.git. Airgo is one.
    >
    > Anyway, good stuff. Let me know what you think about letting this work
    > for wireless too.

    I don't think directly pulling wireless-testing is a good idea of
    -staging for process-related reasons. However I think we can arrange
    to send something for the new tree. at76, airgo, and mrv8k are all
    decent candidates.

    Greg, how does the -staging tree get managed? Is it periodically
    rebuilt (like -next)? Or would I need to send you pull requests?

    John
    --
    John W. Linville
    linville@tuxdriver.com

  4. Re: [ANNOUNCE] linux-staging tree created

    On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 7:33 AM, John W. Linville
    wrote:
    > On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 07:14:32AM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
    >
    >> This is great. To let this be useful for wireless we'll need
    >> wireless-testing.git merged as we rely on it for the latest and
    >> greatest. Is this a possibility?

    >> We have a few drivers which are not yet ready for
    >> wireless-testing.git. Airgo is one.
    >>
    >> Anyway, good stuff. Let me know what you think about letting this work
    >> for wireless too.

    > I don't think directly pulling wireless-testing is a good idea of
    > -staging for process-related reasons. However I think we can arrange
    > to send something for the new tree. at76, airgo, and mrv8k are all
    > decent candidates.
    >
    > Greg, how does the -staging tree get managed? Is it periodically
    > rebuilt (like -next)? Or would I need to send you pull requests?

    Its just quit patches.

    Luis

  5. Re: [ANNOUNCE] linux-staging tree created

    On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 07:14:32AM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
    > This is great. To let this be useful for wireless we'll need
    > wireless-testing.git merged as we rely on it for the latest and
    > greatest. Is this a possibility?

    Hm, why? Is it really needed for you to have this pulled in? What is
    keeping these drivers from being added to the -next tree today?

    > We have a few drivers which are not yet ready for
    > wireless-testing.git. Airgo is one.

    If you have individual drivers, I'd be glad to take them into the tree
    if you think it will help out. Just send me a patch that can build
    properly.

    thanks,

    greg k-h

  6. Re: [ANNOUNCE] linux-staging tree created

    On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:33:29AM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
    > On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 07:14:32AM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
    >
    > > This is great. To let this be useful for wireless we'll need
    > > wireless-testing.git merged as we rely on it for the latest and
    > > greatest. Is this a possibility?

    > > We have a few drivers which are not yet ready for
    > > wireless-testing.git. Airgo is one.
    > >
    > > Anyway, good stuff. Let me know what you think about letting this work
    > > for wireless too.

    > I don't think directly pulling wireless-testing is a good idea of
    > -staging for process-related reasons. However I think we can arrange
    > to send something for the new tree. at76, airgo, and mrv8k are all
    > decent candidates.

    Sounds good to me.

    > Greg, how does the -staging tree get managed? Is it periodically
    > rebuilt (like -next)? Or would I need to send you pull requests?

    Just send me patches, it's a quilt tree.

    thanks,

    greg k-h

  7. Re: [ANNOUNCE] linux-staging tree created

    Hi!

    > What this tree is not:
    > - it is not a place to dump code and then run away, hoping that
    > someone else will do the cleanup work for you. While there
    > are developers available to do this kind of work, you need to
    > get someone to agree to "babysit" the code.

    Hmm, how do I tap into that developer pool? :-)

    Kohjinsha wifi driver is in state where it was ported to mac80211, and
    it still works with minimum features, but it needs dead code removal
    and rewriting the rest. That code is really very ugly.

    I can do the handholding; I can probably do the rewrite, too (its
    10000LoC), but it will take time...

    Pavel
    (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pav...rses/blog.html

  8. Re: [ANNOUNCE] linux-staging tree created

    On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 02:51:04PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > > What this tree is not:
    > > - it is not a place to dump code and then run away, hoping that
    > > someone else will do the cleanup work for you. While there
    > > are developers available to do this kind of work, you need to
    > > get someone to agree to "babysit" the code.

    > Hmm, how do I tap into that developer pool? :-)
    >
    > Kohjinsha wifi driver is in state where it was ported to mac80211, and
    > it still works with minimum features, but it needs dead code removal
    > and rewriting the rest. That code is really very ugly.
    >
    > I can do the handholding; I can probably do the rewrite, too (its
    > 10000LoC), but it will take time...

    If the patch at least builds, send it to me for inclusion in -staging if
    you want to get some exposure for it.

    thanks,

    greg k-h

  9. Re: [ANNOUNCE] linux-staging tree created

    Hi Greg,

    Is there a separate mailing-list for staging?

    --
    Thanks and Regards,
    Jike

    On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 3:05 AM, Greg KH wrote:
    > Oh great, not yet-another-kernel-tree, just what the world needs...
    >
    > Yes, this is an announcement of a new kernel tree, linux-staging. It is
    > a quilt series of patches that can be found at:
    > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git

  10. Re: [ANNOUNCE] linux-staging tree created

    On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:50:49AM +0800, Jike Song wrote:
    > Hi Greg,
    >
    > Is there a separate mailing-list for staging?

    Nope, lkml is fine for now, just be sure to cc: me so I notice it.

    thanks,

    greg k-h

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2