Command-line tools for stress-testing SATA hard disks (and libata) - Kernel

This is a discussion on Command-line tools for stress-testing SATA hard disks (and libata) - Kernel ; (Please CC me on replies.) I have a new(ish) 160GB Maxtor SATA hard disk that recently cracked up and failed with lots of ext3 filesystem errors; beforehand, it had started to become flaky and was stalling under certain I/O conditions, ...

  1. Command-line tools for stress-testing SATA hard disks (and libata)

    (Please CC me on replies.)

    I have a new(ish) 160GB Maxtor SATA hard disk that recently cracked up
    and failed with lots of ext3 filesystem errors; beforehand, it had
    started to become flaky and was stalling under certain I/O conditions,
    emitting DRDY ABRTs to the libata layer and forcing constant link
    resets. At the moment, the disk appears to be unbootable - GRUB fails to
    load the stage 2 loader and hangs after loading stage1.5.
    Unfortunately, these problems were reproduced on tainted 2.6.24 and
    2.6.25 kernels (specifically, fglrx was doing the tainting). Ergo, I'm
    not formally reporting this as a libata problem (yet).

    Can anyone here recommend a command-line disk benchmark or stress test
    utility that doesn't need to be run in X (allowing me to test with
    untainted kernels) and would be capable of producing a variety of I/O
    access patterns that could trigger the errors I've seen during normal
    usage? I've since replaced the SATA cable and switched the hard disk to
    a different SATA PHY port, and when I mount individual partitions and
    access files, the libata layer appears to behave.

    Brad

    P.S: The 2.6.25.3 libata reports the potentially broken disk as follows:

    sata_nv 0000:00:0d.0: version 3.5
    ata4: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x970 ctl 0xb70 bmdma 0xe008 irq 23
    ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
    ata4.00: ATA-7: MAXTOR STM3160815AS, 3.AAD, max UDMA/133
    ata4.00: 312581808 sectors, multi 1: LBA48 NCQ (depth 0/32)
    ata4.00: configured for UDMA/133
    scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access ATA MAXTOR STM316081 3.AA PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
    sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] 312581808 512-byte hardware sectors (160042 MB)
    sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
    sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
    sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't
    support DPO or FUA
    sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] 312581808 512-byte hardware sectors (160042 MB)
    sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
    sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
    sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't
    support DPO or FUA
    sdb: sdb1 sdb2 sdb3 sdb4 < sdb5 sdb6 sdb7 sdb8 sdb9 sdb10 >
    sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk

  2. Re: Command-line tools for stress-testing SATA hard disks (and libata)

    Hi,

    Bradley Chapman schrieb:
    > Can anyone here recommend a command-line disk benchmark or stress test
    > utility that doesn't need to be run in X (allowing me to test with
    > untainted kernels) and would be capable of producing a variety of I/O
    > access patterns that could trigger the errors I've seen during normal
    > usage?

    Why don't you just use the vesa driver and use your stress test utility
    in X?

    > Brad

    cu
    Dieter