standalone kbuild's homepage? - Kernel

This is a discussion on standalone kbuild's homepage? - Kernel ; Hi Sam, folks, IIRC apart from in-kernel build system there is a "standalone" one, which is targeted at other projects wishing to reuse this excellent infrastructure. I google for it for an hour or so, but all searches inevitably bring ...

  1. standalone kbuild's homepage?

    Hi Sam, folks,

    IIRC apart from in-kernel build system there is a "standalone"
    one, which is targeted at other projects wishing to reuse
    this excellent infrastructure.

    I google for it for an hour or so, but all searches
    inevitably bring me back to kernel's kbuild (doh!),
    to http://sourceforge.net/projects/kbuild/ which is outdated,
    or to http://svn.netlabs.org/kbuild (also wrong).

    Please provide me with an URL you you know one.

    Sorry for a bit of an OT.
    --
    vda

  2. Re: standalone kbuild's homepage?

    On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 05:03:50AM +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
    > Hi Sam, folks,
    >
    > IIRC apart from in-kernel build system there is a "standalone"
    > one, which is targeted at other projects wishing to reuse
    > this excellent infrastructure.

    Unfortunately not. I have hoped to find time/energy to
    extract the useful bits and do something so I could
    offer kbuild to other projects.
    But I do not see this happening soon :-(

    > I google for it for an hour or so, but all searches
    > inevitably bring me back to kernel's kbuild (doh!),
    > to http://sourceforge.net/projects/kbuild/ which is outdated,
    > or to http://svn.netlabs.org/kbuild (also wrong).
    >
    > Please provide me with an URL you you know one.

    I have registered kbuild.org just in case but there is not
    even a default page there.

    Sam

  3. Re: standalone kbuild's homepage?

    On Tuesday 29 April 2008 07:11, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
    > On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 05:03:50AM +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
    > > Hi Sam, folks,
    > >
    > > IIRC apart from in-kernel build system there is a "standalone"
    > > one, which is targeted at other projects wishing to reuse
    > > this excellent infrastructure.

    > Unfortunately not. I have hoped to find time/energy to
    > extract the useful bits and do something so I could
    > offer kbuild to other projects.
    > But I do not see this happening soon :-(

    So far busybox uses almost unmodified kernel kbuild,
    mostly ignoring all the unused extra machinery (modules, System.map etc).

    Works great. I mean, _really_ great. Thanks!

    I found an old mail:

    http://busybox.net/lists/busybox/200...er/024081.html

    >Also I notes that you took scripts/Makefile.build verbatim.
    >That file contains a lot of kernel cruft and you would be in a much
    >better position using scripts/Kbuild.klibc from klibc.

    Aha! this can be it.
    --
    vda