x86: fix a couple of sparse warnings - Kernel

This is a discussion on x86: fix a couple of sparse warnings - Kernel ; Hi Ingo, Peter, Thomas, Here is a couple of patches that fix sparse warnings produced while compiling defconfig for i386: arch/x86/kernel/reboot.c:32:5: warning: symbol 'reboot_force' was not declared. Should it be static? arch/x86/kernel/pci-dma.c:17:5: warning: symbol 'iommu_sac_force' was not declared. Should it ...

  1. x86: fix a couple of sparse warnings

    Hi Ingo, Peter, Thomas,

    Here is a couple of patches that fix sparse warnings
    produced while compiling defconfig for i386:

    <<<<<

    arch/x86/kernel/reboot.c:32:5: warning: symbol 'reboot_force' was not declared. Should it be static?

    arch/x86/kernel/pci-dma.c:17:5: warning: symbol 'iommu_sac_force' was not declared. Should it be static?

    <<<<<

    These patches were compile-tested using defconfig for both
    i386 and x86_64. Also, a runtime test was successfully
    performed by booting i386 and x86_64 boxes up to the shell
    prompt.

    Patches apply cleanly to current x86.git.

    Please consider.

    Thanks,
    Dmitri Vorobiev

  2. Re: x86: fix a couple of sparse warnings

    * Dmitri Vorobiev wrote:

    > Hi Ingo, Peter, Thomas,
    >
    > Here is a couple of patches that fix sparse warnings produced while
    > compiling defconfig for i386:

    thanks Dmitri, applied.

    Ingo

  3. Re: x86: fix a couple of sparse warnings

    On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 02:38:09PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > * Dmitri Vorobiev wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Ingo, Peter, Thomas,
    > >
    > > Here is a couple of patches that fix sparse warnings produced while
    > > compiling defconfig for i386:

    > thanks Dmitri, applied.

    /me wonders what was wrong with http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/23/131
    that contains a superset of the first patch
    (and got no response at all)

    > Ingo

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

  4. Re: x86: fix a couple of sparse warnings

    2008/4/28 Adrian Bunk :

    > On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 02:38:09PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > >
    > > * Dmitri Vorobiev wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi Ingo, Peter, Thomas,
    > > >
    > > > Here is a couple of patches that fix sparse warnings produced while
    > > > compiling defconfig for i386:

    > > thanks Dmitri, applied.

    > /me wonders what was wrong with http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/23/131
    > that contains a superset of the first patch
    > (and got no response at all)

    Adrian, I am sorry for duplicating your work. The clash wasn't intentional: I
    did not notice your earlier patch in the high traffic of this mailing list.

    Thanks,
    Dimitri

  5. Re: x86: fix a couple of sparse warnings

    On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 05:43:25PM +0400, Dmitri Vorobiev wrote:
    > 2008/4/28 Adrian Bunk :

    > > > thanks Dmitri, applied.

    > > /me wonders what was wrong with http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/23/131
    > > that contains a superset of the first patch
    > > (and got no response at all)

    > Adrian, I am sorry for duplicating your work. The clash wasn't intentional: I
    > did not notice your earlier patch in the high traffic of this mailing list.

    No problem, and I'm actually more interested why my patch got lost.

    > Thanks,
    > Dimitri

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

  6. Re: x86: fix a couple of sparse warnings

    * Adrian Bunk wrote:

    > On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 05:43:25PM +0400, Dmitri Vorobiev wrote:
    > > 2008/4/28 Adrian Bunk :
    > > >
    > > > /me wonders what was wrong with http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/23/131
    > > > that contains a superset of the first patch
    > > > (and got no response at all)

    > > Adrian, I am sorry for duplicating your work. The clash wasn't
    > > intentional: I did not notice your earlier patch in the high traffic
    > > of this mailing list.

    > No problem, and I'm actually more interested why my patch got lost.

    It's simple: in this case i had two patches in my backlog, one from a
    new person and one from a frequent contributor - doing the very same
    change. I preferred the newbie's patch, to encourage Dmitri to keep
    contributing to Linux and to help him learn from the experience of
    working with various Linux maintainers.

    You contributed a lot of similar changes already, and are 1500 similar
    patches down the line, and for "trivial" patches like this you probably
    aren't going to learn anything new.

    That doesn't mean your work is not appreciated - there's 5 of your
    patches queued up in x86.git this very moment [one of them is a subset
    of the patch you mention above] and a few more in my mbox, but it does
    mean that for a case like this, the newbie's change wins. And that
    applies to my own changes just as much : often a newbie submits a
    cleanup that i have done already but i'll put in the newbie's patch and
    drop mine.

    Ingo

  7. Re: x86: fix a couple of sparse warnings

    On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 05:01:56PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > * Adrian Bunk wrote:

    > > > Adrian, I am sorry for duplicating your work. The clash wasn't
    > > > intentional: I did not notice your earlier patch in the high traffic
    > > > of this mailing list.

    > > No problem, and I'm actually more interested why my patch got lost.

    > It's simple: in this case i had two patches in my backlog, one from a
    > new person and one from a frequent contributor - doing the very same
    > change. I preferred the newbie's patch, to encourage Dmitri to keep
    > contributing to Linux and to help him learn from the experience of
    > working with various Linux maintainers.

    Every maintainer except you will teach the newbie where to find the
    current tree to avoid duplicating work...

    But OK, instead of spending my time duplicating later patches I'll put
    possible cleanups and bugs for x86 on a list and check 1 or 2 months
    later whether they are still present.

    > Ingo

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

  8. Re: x86: fix a couple of sparse warnings

    On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 09:56:08PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 05:01:56PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > >
    > > * Adrian Bunk wrote:

    > > > No problem, and I'm actually more interested why my patch got lost.

    > > It's simple: in this case i had two patches in my backlog, one from a
    > > new person and one from a frequent contributor - doing the very same
    > > change. I preferred the newbie's patch, to encourage Dmitri to keep
    > > contributing to Linux and to help him learn from the experience of
    > > working with various Linux maintainers.

    > Every maintainer except you will teach the newbie where to find the
    > current tree to avoid duplicating work...

    I have seen Ingo referring to his README file countless number of
    times which describes where to locate the x86.git tree and
    how to pull it. So has you.

    Sam