Linux 2.4.36.3 - Kernel

This is a discussion on Linux 2.4.36.3 - Kernel ; Hi ! I've just released Linux 2.4.36.3. Nothing outstanding here, I've just decided to release pending fixes. Those already running 2.4.36.2 have no particular reason to upgrade, unless they already experience troubles in the fixed areas. The patch and changelog ...

  1. Linux 2.4.36.3

    Hi !

    I've just released Linux 2.4.36.3.

    Nothing outstanding here, I've just decided to release pending fixes.
    Those already running 2.4.36.2 have no particular reason to upgrade,
    unless they already experience troubles in the fixed areas.

    The patch and changelog will appear soon at the following locations:
    ftp://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/
    ftp://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/k...h-2.4.36.3.bz2
    ftp://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/k...geLog-2.4.36.3

    Git repository:
    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-v2.4.36.y.git
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/...-v2.4.36.y.git

    Git repository through the gitweb interface:
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...-v2.4.36.y.git

    Regards,
    Willy
    --

    Summary of changes from v2.4.36.2 to v2.4.36.3

    David Newall (1):
    usb-serial: back-port of pl2303.c from 2.6.24.1

    Glen Nakamura (3):
    ext2_readdir() filp->f_pos fix (try #2)
    Duplicate id in videodev.h
    Fix typo in acpi_boot_init

    Jesse Brandeburg (1):
    ip-pnp-dhcp: wait lazily when doing dhcp for diskless systems

    Patrick McHardy (1):
    [TCP]: Fix shrinking windows with window scaling

    Willy Tarreau (2):
    intermezzo: fix uninitialized use of pointer in error path
    Change VERSION to 2.4.36.3

  2. Re: Linux 2.4.36.3

    Willy Tarreau wrote:
    > Hi !
    >
    > I've just released Linux 2.4.36.3.
    >
    > Nothing outstanding here, I've just decided to release pending fixes.
    > Those already running 2.4.36.2 have no particular reason to upgrade,
    > unless they already experience troubles in the fixed areas.

    Any reason to have 2.4.x.y instead of just 2.4.x+y? I find it somewhat
    hard to believe there is substantial new development on 2.4, so it
    really should be all "stable".

    -hpa

  3. Re: Linux 2.4.36.3

    Hi Peter,

    On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 03:22:59PM -0400, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Any reason to have 2.4.x.y instead of just 2.4.x+y? I find it somewhat
    > hard to believe there is substantial new development on 2.4, so it
    > really should be all "stable".

    Since 2.4.33 there have been a few minor add-ons and backports (support
    for gcc4, e1000 update, and mmap_min_addr come to mind). It's important
    for me to indicate when users can blindly upgrade (eg: security fix or
    real bug) and when they should at least perform a quick revalidation.

    This has worked well for quite some time now. Since the changes were
    really minor here, I did not want to open 2.4.37 with just that. Maybe
    there will be no 2.4.37, maybe I'll open it if I gather several significant
    driver/arch updates or build fixes (eg: gcc is not supported beyond 4.1
    right now).

    Regards,
    Willy

  4. Re: Linux 2.4.36.3

    Willy Tarreau wrote:
    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 03:22:59PM -0400, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    >> Any reason to have 2.4.x.y instead of just 2.4.x+y? I find it somewhat
    >> hard to believe there is substantial new development on 2.4, so it
    >> really should be all "stable".

    > Since 2.4.33 there have been a few minor add-ons and backports (support
    > for gcc4, e1000 update, and mmap_min_addr come to mind). It's important
    > for me to indicate when users can blindly upgrade (eg: security fix or
    > real bug) and when they should at least perform a quick revalidation.
    >
    > This has worked well for quite some time now. Since the changes were
    > really minor here, I did not want to open 2.4.37 with just that. Maybe
    > there will be no 2.4.37, maybe I'll open it if I gather several significant
    > driver/arch updates or build fixes (eg: gcc is not supported beyond 4.1
    > right now).

    OK, makes sense.

    -hpa