(none) - Kernel

This is a discussion on (none) - Kernel ; Hello everybody, i got a weird problem with one of my servers. It's a Intel SR2500AL with 32GB of RAM. Looking at the memory usage of the system, something is going totally wrong. The crucial numbers from /proc/meminfo are: MemTotal: ...

  1. (none)

    Hello everybody,

    i got a weird problem with one of my servers. It's a Intel SR2500AL with 32GB of RAM.
    Looking at the memory usage of the system, something is going totally wrong. The crucial numbers from /proc/meminfo are:

    MemTotal: 33265916 kB
    MemFree: 416168 kB
    Inactive: 24630428 kB (24GB? whooaaa)

    Another system with only 16GB, same amount of users and load, shows a more normal behaviour:

    MemTotal: 16619808 kB
    MemFree: 6912676 kB
    Inactive: 1774364 kB

    Why does the 32GB-System have this plenty of inactive memory. Is there a way to find out, what the kernel is holding in readiness (that's the definition of inactive memory afaik)?

    OS: SLES 10 SP1
    Kernel : 2.6.16.27-0.9-bigsmp

    Thanks in advance.

    Andreas Grimm

  2. Re:

    On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 4:45 AM, Andreas Grimm wrote:
    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > i got a weird problem with one of my servers. It's a Intel SR2500AL with 32GB of RAM.
    > Looking at the memory usage of the system, something is going totally wrong. The crucial numbers from /proc/meminfo are:
    >
    > MemTotal: 33265916 kB
    > MemFree: 416168 kB
    > Inactive: 24630428 kB (24GB? whooaaa)

    Why did you start 3 separate threads for this issue? That's more
    likely to annoy people than to get them to help you.

    Lee