DRM modesetting & sysfs - Kernel

This is a discussion on DRM modesetting & sysfs - Kernel ; [Sorry for the DUP, forgot to cc lkml] I just pushed a few changes updating the DRM modesetting sysfs support, both for debugging and eventual HAL friendliness. So far, the support is limited to describing outputs and generating hotplug events. ...

  1. DRM modesetting & sysfs

    [Sorry for the DUP, forgot to cc lkml]

    I just pushed a few changes updating the DRM modesetting sysfs support, both
    for debugging and eventual HAL friendliness.

    So far, the support is limited to describing outputs and generating hotplug
    events. A typical "card0" directory now looks like this:

    ..
    |-- card0-DAC-1
    | |-- device -> ../../../../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0
    | |-- dpms
    | |-- edid
    | |-- modes
    | |-- power
    | | `-- wakeup
    | |-- status
    | |-- subsystem -> ../../../../../../class/drm
    | `-- uevent
    |-- card0-LVDS-1
    | |-- device -> ../../../../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0
    | |-- dpms
    | |-- edid
    | |-- modes
    | |-- power
    | | `-- wakeup
    | |-- status
    | |-- subsystem -> ../../../../../../class/drm
    | `-- uevent
    |-- dev
    |-- device -> ../../../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0
    |-- dri_library_name
    |-- power
    | `-- wakeup
    |-- subsystem -> ../../../../../class/drm
    `-- uevent

    Each output is listed, prefixed with its associated card number to
    disambiguate it at the top level /sys/class/drm directory (where it also has
    some symlinks). Currently, only DPMS, EDID, mode list and connection status
    properties are exported, but we could list more as needed. You can
    use 'udevmonitor --env' to look for hotplug events; you should see several at
    load time, and presumably some at connection hotplug time (though I haven't
    gotten that working yet, any ideas Jakob?).

    Any thoughts on the interface? Anything in particular people would like to
    see?

    Thanks,
    Jesse

  2. Re: DRM modesetting & sysfs

    On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 10:17 PM, Jesse Barnes wrote:

    > I just pushed a few changes updating the DRM modesetting sysfs support, both
    > for debugging and eventual HAL friendliness.
    >
    > So far, the support is limited to describing outputs and generating hotplug
    > events. A typical "card0" directory now looks like this:
    >
    > .
    > |-- card0-DAC-1
    > | |-- device -> ../../../../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0
    > | |-- dpms
    > | |-- edid
    > | |-- modes
    > | |-- power
    > | | `-- wakeup
    > | |-- status
    > | |-- subsystem -> ../../../../../../class/drm
    > | `-- uevent
    > |-- card0-LVDS-1
    > | |-- device -> ../../../../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0
    > | |-- dpms
    > | |-- edid
    > | |-- modes
    > | |-- power
    > | | `-- wakeup
    > | |-- status
    > | |-- subsystem -> ../../../../../../class/drm
    > | `-- uevent
    > |-- dev
    > |-- device -> ../../../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0
    > |-- dri_library_name
    > |-- power
    > | `-- wakeup
    > |-- subsystem -> ../../../../../class/drm
    > `-- uevent
    >
    > Each output is listed, prefixed with its associated card number to
    > disambiguate it at the top level /sys/class/drm directory (where it also has
    > some symlinks). Currently, only DPMS, EDID, mode list and connection status
    > properties are exported, but we could list more as needed. You can
    > use 'udevmonitor --env' to look for hotplug events; you should see several at
    > load time, and presumably some at connection hotplug time (though I haven't
    > gotten that working yet, any ideas Jakob?).

    I was going to suggest that you plug it into the hotplug_stage_two
    function but it looks like you have already done that. Things might be
    routed differently now then since the last time I looked at the code,
    are you sure that stage_two is being run?

    > Any thoughts on the interface? Anything in particular people would like to
    > see?

    Looks good, can you write to dpms, that is turn a monitor on and of,
    that would be slightly cool but not overly useful. On the whole I
    think exporting properties are fine, but I don't think setting modes
    and crtc's are to be done in sysfs. However it is entirely possible.

    > Thanks,
    > Jesse

    Cheers Jakob.

  3. Re: DRM modesetting & sysfs

    On Wednesday, April 09, 2008 1:57 am Jakob Bornecrantz wrote:
    > I was going to suggest that you plug it into the hotplug_stage_two
    > function but it looks like you have already done that. Things might be
    > routed differently now then since the last time I looked at the code,
    > are you sure that stage_two is being run?

    I'll have to check, I'm not sure I'm even getting interrupts...

    > > Any thoughts on the interface? Anything in particular people would like
    > > to see?

    > Looks good, can you write to dpms, that is turn a monitor on and of,
    > that would be slightly cool but not overly useful. On the whole I
    > think exporting properties are fine, but I don't think setting modes
    > and crtc's are to be done in sysfs. However it is entirely possible.

    Agreed. I view this more as a way of exporting information about the DRM
    configuration to userspace rather than a way to control the whole thing. I
    think we should stick with ioctls for the latter... Anyway thanks for
    checking it out.

    Jesse

  4. Re: DRM modesetting & sysfs

    On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 08:17 -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
    > On Wednesday, April 09, 2008 1:57 am Jakob Bornecrantz wrote:
    > > I was going to suggest that you plug it into the hotplug_stage_two
    > > function but it looks like you have already done that. Things might be
    > > routed differently now then since the last time I looked at the code,
    > > are you sure that stage_two is being run?

    > I'll have to check, I'm not sure I'm even getting interrupts...

    Jesse,

    Is this i915 or i945/i965 you are testing on ??

    Alan.

  5. Re: DRM modesetting & sysfs

    On Wednesday, April 09, 2008 9:15 am Alan Hourihane wrote:
    > On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 08:17 -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
    > > On Wednesday, April 09, 2008 1:57 am Jakob Bornecrantz wrote:
    > > > I was going to suggest that you plug it into the hotplug_stage_two
    > > > function but it looks like you have already done that. Things might be
    > > > routed differently now then since the last time I looked at the code,
    > > > are you sure that stage_two is being run?

    > > I'll have to check, I'm not sure I'm even getting interrupts...

    > Jesse,
    >
    > Is this i915 or i945/i965 you are testing on ??

    I've been testing on my i915 based laptop, haven't tried my other systems
    yet...

    Jesse

  6. Re: DRM modesetting & sysfs

    On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 09:34 -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
    > On Wednesday, April 09, 2008 9:15 am Alan Hourihane wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I'll have to check, I'm not sure I'm even getting interrupts...

    > > Jesse,
    > >
    > > Is this i915 or i945/i965 you are testing on ??

    > I've been testing on my i915 based laptop, haven't tried my other systems
    > yet...

    With VGA (i.e. ADPA) output ?

    If so, that's the problem. From what I can tell of i915 docs, they only
    support hotplug for SDVO devices only, so that's how it's coded up at
    the moment. For i945/i965 it can go the whole hog.

    Alan.

  7. Re: DRM modesetting & sysfs

    On Wednesday, April 09, 2008 10:23 am Alan Hourihane wrote:
    > On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 09:34 -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:

    > > > Jesse,
    > > >
    > > > Is this i915 or i945/i965 you are testing on ??

    > > I've been testing on my i915 based laptop, haven't tried my other systems
    > > yet...

    > With VGA (i.e. ADPA) output ?
    >
    > If so, that's the problem. From what I can tell of i915 docs, they only
    > support hotplug for SDVO devices only, so that's how it's coded up at
    > the moment. For i945/i965 it can go the whole hog.

    Ah, maybe that's it, yeah I'm using VGA via ADPA. I don't see any IIR or
    PIPEASTAT bits set when I plug in the display, so I guess we're stuck with
    manually probing on these devices.

    Thanks,
    Jesse

  8. Re: DRM modesetting & sysfs

    On Wednesday, April 09, 2008 10:39 am Jesse Barnes wrote:
    > > With VGA (i.e. ADPA) output ?
    > >
    > > If so, that's the problem. From what I can tell of i915 docs, they only
    > > support hotplug for SDVO devices only, so that's how it's coded up at
    > > the moment. For i945/i965 it can go the whole hog.

    > Ah, maybe that's it, yeah I'm using VGA via ADPA. I don't see any IIR or
    > PIPEASTAT bits set when I plug in the display, so I guess we're stuck with
    > manually probing on these devices.

    Looks like i915 may support TV hotplug too, though I haven't finished the TV
    bits yet; I'll see about that today.

    However, on my 965 I get hotplug interrupts, the output is configured, and I
    even get uevents with the new sysfs code, yay!

    Jesse