fully bisectable real time series - Kernel

This is a discussion on fully bisectable real time series - Kernel ; I've re-worked the -rt series, and some of the core patches to make it all bisectable. I've done bisect updates in the past which really only scratched the surface. The main problems where around the spinlock, semaphore, and rw-semaphore changes. ...

  1. fully bisectable real time series

    I've re-worked the -rt series, and some of the core patches to make it
    all bisectable. I've done bisect updates in the past which really only
    scratched the surface.

    The main problems where around the spinlock, semaphore, and rw-semaphore
    changes. I made a number of updates to how the bottom level spinlocks
    get defined to ease the transition per-patch and architecture. For
    semaphores I removed some constraints on how many changes need to be
    made per architecture.

    So what's missing? Well I dropped every architecture port except x86,
    since I broke them all. I also dropped a number of non-essential patches
    (mostly from Peter) not for any technical reason but just to reduce the
    amount of code.

    I didn't fix all the architectures since I want to make sure x86 is
    solid before I start moving the other architectures to the new format.
    All the dropped patches are still part of the archive, just not in the
    series.

    x86 32-bit is compile and boot bisectable, and 64-bit is compile
    bisectable (should boot too, but I haven't tested it.)

    There's tons of back merging to do, but I keep it to a minimum for the
    time being. I'm sure there are some un-bisectable areas that I just
    haven't found yet, however if you report it to me I'll be happy to fix
    them.

    I'm only providing a broken out series and you can download in from,

    ftp://source.mvista.com/pub/dwalker/...en-out.tar.bz2

    Enjoy!

    Daniel

  2. Re: fully bisectable real time series

    On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Daniel Walker wrote:

    > I've re-worked the -rt series, and some of the core patches to make it
    > all bisectable. I've done bisect updates in the past which really only
    > scratched the surface.

    Daniel,

    Thanks, for doing this. I'll try to look at it when I get a chance. If you
    can make a bisectable series that still gives a byte for byte identical
    kernel with a make allyesconfig, I'll incorporate it.

    -- Steve

  3. Re: fully bisectable real time series

    On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 16:34 -0700, Daniel Walker wrote:
    > I've re-worked the -rt series, and some of the core patches to make it
    > all bisectable. I've done bisect updates in the past which really only
    > scratched the surface.

    I had started on a forward-port to .25, but I got completely
    side-tracked with a lot of other stuff.

    The bi-sectable series is vary valuable for such porting efforts, and
    the current series needs major cleanup, since there are a lot of fixes,
    and code-backouts (e.g. softirq from hardirq thread context), which
    interfere with testing of a back-port at each level.

    So this is a valuable effort, and I hope that at least some of what you
    have done will make it into .25's RT port.

    If I have time to work on the port in the next couple of days, before
    Steven gets to it, I will see what if any of your stuff can be used.

    Thanks,

    Sven

  4. Re: fully bisectable real time series

    On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 20:33 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
    > On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Daniel Walker wrote:
    >

    > > I've re-worked the -rt series, and some of the core patches to make it
    > > all bisectable. I've done bisect updates in the past which really only
    > > scratched the surface.
    > >

    > Daniel,
    >
    > Thanks, for doing this. I'll try to look at it when I get a chance. If you
    > can make a bisectable series that still gives a byte for byte identical
    > kernel with a make allyesconfig, I'll incorporate it.

    I haven't actually tested if it's byte for byte identical, I can or you
    can review it an decide what you think of it.. The executable code parts
    should be identical. I just moved patches around, patch split-ups, did
    name changes, and added macros ..

    Daniel