power off USB port - Kernel

This is a discussion on power off USB port - Kernel ; Hi, I'd like to power off some usb ports (to make ejected usb flash drives power off their little "don't remove me yet" led), but I can't find how to do it with a 2.6.24 kernel: - eject /dev/sd? doesn't ...

  1. power off USB port

    Hi,

    I'd like to power off some usb ports (to make ejected usb flash drives
    power off their little "don't remove me yet" led), but I can't find how
    to do it with a 2.6.24 kernel:
    - eject /dev/sd? doesn't work anymore
    - /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/state doesn't exist anymore
    - hub-ctrl-2.c [1] fails with a "Broken pipe" error

    Does anyone know how to achieve that ?

    Thanks,
    Xav

    [1]: http://www.gniibe.org/log/linux

  2. Re: power off USB port

    On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 12:20:24PM +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd like to power off some usb ports (to make ejected usb flash drives
    > power off their little "don't remove me yet" led), but I can't find how
    > to do it with a 2.6.24 kernel:
    > - eject /dev/sd? doesn't work anymore
    > - /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/state doesn't exist anymore
    > - hub-ctrl-2.c [1] fails with a "Broken pipe" error
    >
    > Does anyone know how to achieve that ?

    You can not, sorry. Please see the archives of this list, and the
    linux-usb list for the many many many times this keeps coming up.

    thanks,

    greg k-h