Re: linux-2.6.25-rc8, an oddity - Kernel

This is a discussion on Re: linux-2.6.25-rc8, an oddity - Kernel ; This will be the third time I've sent this message in about 10 hours, with it never making it to the list, but I've picked up around 400 messages since because I am subscribed. Please check as to why I ...

  1. Re: linux-2.6.25-rc8, an oddity

    This will be the third time I've sent this message in about 10 hours, with it
    never making it to the list, but I've picked up around 400 messages since
    because I am subscribed. Please check as to why I cannot post?

    Greetings;

    I've switched to an ati based R610 chipset video card, and the radeonhd
    driver, so I can rejoin the canaries that test this stuff. All brought about
    by my 200GB boot drive giving itself an appendectomy as it was dying of
    whatever they die of when the logs show an incessant attempt to reset the
    drive. There is now a 500GB on the end of that cable.

    3 observations, but I believe only the first is related to this kernel.

    1. I note when I logged in (always to runlevel 3, no x at that point) that it
    gave me tty1, instead of the usual tty0.

    Is there a reason why the non-x login screen wasn't /dev/tty0? It does
    exist..

    2. Also, if I exit x, expecting to see my original screen, its not there, no
    drive at all to the monitor so it shuts down. I think I can blindly startx
    again, or type reboot, or give it the vulcan nerve pinch but I don't get
    video back until the reboots post finds it. This is regardless of the kernel
    running apparently I've tried fedora's latest, 2.6.24.4, and now 2.6.25-rc8.

    3. Can I modprobe a vesa related module to fix this somehow? There are
    several in the /lib/modules/`uname -r`/drivers/video subdir tree but they do
    not show in an lsmod as being loaded. This card is shown in dmesg only as a
    single entry:

    0.526924] pci 0000:02:00.0: Boot video device

    and shows as this in lspci -nv now:

    02:00.0 0300: 1002:94c4 (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: 1545:0028
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 5
    Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    I/O ports at c000 [size=256]
    Memory at e1000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Capabilities: [58] AGP version 3.0

    Thanks for any help/info here.

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

  2. Re: linux-2.6.25-rc8, an oddity

    On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
    > This will be the third time I've sent this message in about 10 hours, with it
    > never making it to the list, but I've picked up around 400 messages since
    > because I am subscribed. Please check as to why I cannot post?

    Your post made it to the list all three times (or at least, I received
    it, and I suspect just about all the other LKML readers have, too if
    they haven't blacklisted you now for spamming the list).

    > 1. I note when I logged in (always to runlevel 3, no x at that point) that it
    > gave me tty1, instead of the usual tty0.
    >
    > Is there a reason why the non-x login screen wasn't /dev/tty0? It does
    > exist..

    The normal first tty to use is tty1. At least all my Fedora/CentOS
    systems start with tty1. Not a bug.

    > 2. Also, if I exit x, expecting to see my original screen, its not there, no
    > drive at all to the monitor so it shuts down. I think I can blindly startx
    > again, or type reboot, or give it the vulcan nerve pinch but I don't get
    > video back until the reboots post finds it. This is regardless of the kernel
    > running apparently I've tried fedora's latest, 2.6.24.4, and now 2.6.25-rc8.

    Sounds like an X driver bug, not a kernel bug to me. Check with the
    xorg guys or with your Linux distro vendor.

    -Dave

  3. Re: linux-2.6.25-rc8, an oddity

    On 03-04-08 02:27, Gene Heskett wrote:

    > This will be the third time I've sent this message in about 10 hours,
    > with it never making it to the list, but I've picked up around 400
    > messages since because I am subscribed. Please check as to why I cannot
    > post?

    Your messages are received. I see gmail.com; I suppose you are using a gmail
    server (or their webinterface) to post? If you do, gmail "helpfully" filters
    out your own messages from the list mail that is sent back to you. You
    cannot not have it do that either.

    Gmail is useful only as a (hopefully) stable forwarding address. For actual
    use, it's junk.

    Rene.