2.6.25 intended change: smc:kbd_backlight vs. smc::kbd_backlight ? - Kernel

This is a discussion on 2.6.25 intended change: smc:kbd_backlight vs. smc::kbd_backlight ? - Kernel ; Dear all, I am wondering whether the change from /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/leds/smc:kbd_backlight (2.6.24) /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/leds/smc::kbd_backlight (2.6.25) is intentional? I recognized that it breaks current userspace applications changing the keyboard background leds like pommed... Soeren -- To unsubscribe from this list: send the line ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 2.6.25 intended change: smc:kbd_backlight vs. smc::kbd_backlight ?

  1. 2.6.25 intended change: smc:kbd_backlight vs. smc::kbd_backlight ?

    Dear all,

    I am wondering whether the change from

    /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/leds/smc:kbd_backlight (2.6.24)
    /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/leds/smc::kbd_backlight (2.6.25)

    is intentional?

    I recognized that it breaks current userspace applications changing the
    keyboard background leds like pommed...

    Soeren

    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  2. Re: 2.6.25 intended change: smc:kbd_backlight vs. smc::kbd_backlight ?

    On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 20:58 +0200, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I am wondering whether the change from
    >
    > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/leds/smc:kbd_backlight (2.6.24)
    > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/leds/smc::kbd_backlight (2.6.25)
    >
    > is intentional?
    >
    > I recognized that it breaks current userspace applications changing the
    > keyboard background leds like pommed...


    OK it looks like commit 6c152beefbf90579d21afc4f7e075b1f801f9a75 from
    Richard Purdie, 'leds: Standardise LED naming scheme' introduced this
    change.

    Why do we need '::' instead of a single ':' (that would not have broken
    things)?

    Also sometimes only a single ':' seperator is used like in
    corgi:green:mail but e.g. not in clevo::mail ?!

    Soeren
    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  3. Re: 2.6.25 intended change: smc:kbd_backlight vs. smc::kbd_backlight ?

    Hello; I noticed this as well, you loose the greatest feature; the
    cool leds lights on the keyboard with the macbook pro,
    A solution that worked for me was to compile pommed from the source
    and edit kbd_backlight.h
    regards;
    Justin P. Mattock

    On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 6:54 AM, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
    > On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 20:58 +0200, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
    > > Dear all,
    > >
    > > I am wondering whether the change from
    > >
    > > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/leds/smc:kbd_backlight (2.6.24)
    > > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/leds/smc::kbd_backlight (2.6.25)
    > >
    > > is intentional?
    > >
    > > I recognized that it breaks current userspace applications changing the
    > > keyboard background leds like pommed...

    >
    > OK it looks like commit 6c152beefbf90579d21afc4f7e075b1f801f9a75 from
    > Richard Purdie, 'leds: Standardise LED naming scheme' introduced this
    > change.
    >
    > Why do we need '::' instead of a single ':' (that would not have broken
    > things)?
    >
    > Also sometimes only a single ':' seperator is used like in
    > corgi:green:mail but e.g. not in clevo::mail ?!
    >
    > Soeren
    > --
    > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    > More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    > Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
    >




    --
    Justin P. Mattock
    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  4. Re: 2.6.25 intended change: smc:kbd_backlight vs. smc::kbd_backlight ?

    On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:12 +0000, Justin Mattock wrote:
    > Hello; I noticed this as well, you loose the greatest feature; the
    > cool leds lights on the keyboard with the macbook pro,
    > A solution that worked for me was to compile pommed from the source
    > and edit kbd_backlight.h
    > regards;
    > Justin P. Mattock


    Yeah, but it will not only affect pommed... and I don't see the
    rationale of introducing :: to separate things... so I think we should
    have another patch replacing the :: with ':' again to unbreak userspace
    for 2.6.25.

    Could someone more official please respond to this regression (CCing
    Rafael to record it)

    Soeren

    > On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 6:54 AM, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
    > > On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 20:58 +0200, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
    > > > Dear all,
    > > >
    > > > I am wondering whether the change from
    > > >
    > > > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/leds/smc:kbd_backlight (2.6.24)
    > > > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/leds/smc::kbd_backlight (2.6.25)
    > > >
    > > > is intentional?
    > > >
    > > > I recognized that it breaks current userspace applications changing the
    > > > keyboard background leds like pommed...

    > >
    > > OK it looks like commit 6c152beefbf90579d21afc4f7e075b1f801f9a75 from
    > > Richard Purdie, 'leds: Standardise LED naming scheme' introduced this
    > > change.
    > >
    > > Why do we need '::' instead of a single ':' (that would not have broken
    > > things)?
    > >
    > > Also sometimes only a single ':' seperator is used like in
    > > corgi:green:mail but e.g. not in clevo::mail ?!
    > >
    > > Soeren
    > > --
    > > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    > > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    > > More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    > > Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
    > >

    >
    >
    >

    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  5. Re: 2.6.25 intended change: smc:kbd_backlight vs. smc::kbd_backlight ?

    Hello; there must be some kind of reason for the change from ":" to
    "::" smc::kbd_backlight, maybee something with the kernel spitting
    out:

    [ 464.524630] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 464.727477] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 606.219666] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 606.421338] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 656.152925] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 656.358032] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 743.488092] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 743.687861] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 1559.745211] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 1559.946876] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 1617.527543] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 1617.733097] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 1855.794475] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 1855.997410] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 2062.038870] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 2062.240451] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 2145.673882] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 2145.874891] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 2226.070113] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 2226.275480] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 2233.295702] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 2233.501599] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 2490.349096] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 2490.554648] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 2526.524932] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 2526.727963] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 2994.653714] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 2994.856479] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 3556.760811] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 3556.960414] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 4104.040447] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 4104.241539] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 4183.083313] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 4183.283102] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 4405.815336] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 4406.013374] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 4828.790663] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 4828.990296] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 5001.422026] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 5001.624074] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 5054.881643] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 5055.085512] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 5091.950244] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 5092.153377] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 5142.416144] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 5142.619838] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 5201.180057] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 5201.378893] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 6071.409386] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 6071.611533] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 6563.512077] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 6563.711152] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 6775.019376] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 6775.218753] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 7028.430958] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 7028.631925] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 7069.534835] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 7069.734629] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 7222.764415] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 7222.964181] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 7229.991367] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 7230.194062] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 7250.619742] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 5
    [ 7250.819656] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 7890.440161] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 7890.641210] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 8048.801254] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 8049.001035] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 8170.854568] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 8171.059915] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 8747.146058] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 8747.345261] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    [ 9034.362620] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4
    [ 9034.568220] applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8

    I'm tired of seeing this, how to get rid of this regression if you
    want to call this that.?
    regards;
    Justin P. Mattock

    On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 5:32 AM, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
    > On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:12 +0000, Justin Mattock wrote:
    > > Hello; I noticed this as well, you loose the greatest feature; the
    > > cool leds lights on the keyboard with the macbook pro,
    > > A solution that worked for me was to compile pommed from the source
    > > and edit kbd_backlight.h
    > > regards;
    > > Justin P. Mattock

    >
    > Yeah, but it will not only affect pommed... and I don't see the
    > rationale of introducing :: to separate things... so I think we should
    > have another patch replacing the :: with ':' again to unbreak userspace
    > for 2.6.25.
    >
    > Could someone more official please respond to this regression (CCing
    > Rafael to record it)
    >
    > Soeren
    >
    > > On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 6:54 AM, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
    > > > On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 20:58 +0200, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
    > > > > Dear all,
    > > > >
    > > > > I am wondering whether the change from
    > > > >
    > > > > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/leds/smc:kbd_backlight (2.6.24)
    > > > > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/leds/smc::kbd_backlight (2.6.25)
    > > > >
    > > > > is intentional?
    > > > >
    > > > > I recognized that it breaks current userspace applications changing the
    > > > > keyboard background leds like pommed...
    > > >
    > > > OK it looks like commit 6c152beefbf90579d21afc4f7e075b1f801f9a75 from
    > > > Richard Purdie, 'leds: Standardise LED naming scheme' introduced this
    > > > change.
    > > >
    > > > Why do we need '::' instead of a single ':' (that would not have broken
    > > > things)?
    > > >
    > > > Also sometimes only a single ':' seperator is used like in
    > > > corgi:green:mail but e.g. not in clevo::mail ?!
    > > >
    > > > Soeren
    > > > --
    > > > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    > > > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    > > > More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    > > > Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
    > > >

    > >
    > >
    > >

    >




    --
    Justin P. Mattock
    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  6. Re: 2.6.25 intended change: smc:kbd_backlight vs. smc::kbd_backlight ?

    On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 06:44 +0000, Justin Mattock wrote:
    > Hello; there must be some kind of reason for the change from ":" to
    > "::" smc::kbd_backlight, maybee something with the kernel spitting
    > out:
    >
    > [ 464.524630] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 4

    [...]

    > I'm tired of seeing this, how to get rid of this regression if you
    > want to call this that.?
    > regards;


    The '::' is only a cosmetic thing and won't give you these messages.
    Anyway I am getting them too (but very very rarely) - but it is a
    completely different issue.

    Soeren
    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  7. Re: 2.6.25 intended change: smc:kbd_backlight vs. smc::kbd_backlight ?


    On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 07:32 +0200, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
    > On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:12 +0000, Justin Mattock wrote:
    > > Hello; I noticed this as well, you loose the greatest feature; the
    > > cool leds lights on the keyboard with the macbook pro,
    > > A solution that worked for me was to compile pommed from the source
    > > and edit kbd_backlight.h
    > > regards;
    > > Justin P. Mattock

    >
    > Yeah, but it will not only affect pommed... and I don't see the
    > rationale of introducing :: to separate things... so I think we should
    > have another patch replacing the :: with ':' again to unbreak userspace
    > for 2.6.25.
    >
    > Could someone more official please respond to this regression (CCing
    > Rafael to record it)


    Basically the LED names were a mess, there is a documented standard
    which has been there since the beginning (Documentation/leds-class.txt)
    and a number of drivers didn't follow that. That standardisation commit
    was an attempt to deal with this problem once and for all and in that
    sense its a bugfix, not a regression. The fact function wasn't part of
    the original naming scheme was a mistake (see previous discussions on
    LKML) which we're trying to address without breaking the documented
    standard. The side effect is that some existing drivers need to be
    updated to match the documentation (and should never have been merged in
    the first place because of that) .

    Regards,

    Richard


    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  8. Re: 2.6.25 intended change: smc:kbd_backlight vs. smc::kbd_backlight ?

    On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 11:42 +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
    > On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 07:32 +0200, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
    > > On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:12 +0000, Justin Mattock wrote:
    > > > Hello; I noticed this as well, you loose the greatest feature; the
    > > > cool leds lights on the keyboard with the macbook pro,
    > > > A solution that worked for me was to compile pommed from the source
    > > > and edit kbd_backlight.h
    > > > regards;
    > > > Justin P. Mattock

    > >
    > > Yeah, but it will not only affect pommed... and I don't see the
    > > rationale of introducing :: to separate things... so I think we should
    > > have another patch replacing the :: with ':' again to unbreak userspace
    > > for 2.6.25.
    > >
    > > Could someone more official please respond to this regression (CCing
    > > Rafael to record it)

    >
    > Basically the LED names were a mess, there is a documented standard
    > which has been there since the beginning (Documentation/leds-class.txt)
    > and a number of drivers didn't follow that. That standardisation commit
    > was an attempt to deal with this problem once and for all and in that
    > sense its a bugfix, not a regression. The fact function wasn't part of
    > the original naming scheme was a mistake (see previous discussions on
    > LKML) which we're trying to address without breaking the documented
    > standard. The side effect is that some existing drivers need to be
    > updated to match the documentation (and should never have been merged in
    > the first place because of that) .


    So to make it clear "devicename:colour:function" means in the case of
    applesmc smc::kbd_backlight because there is no colour defined. One
    could have used "devicename:function:colour" without breaking things -
    no ?

    So it seems we will have to file bug reports to the led dealing
    userspace programs ...

    Soeren
    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

  9. Re: 2.6.25 intended change: smc:kbd_backlight vs. smc::kbd_backlight ?

    On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 17:33 +0200, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
    > On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 11:42 +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
    > > Basically the LED names were a mess, there is a documented standard
    > > which has been there since the beginning (Documentation/leds-class.txt)
    > > and a number of drivers didn't follow that. That standardisation commit
    > > was an attempt to deal with this problem once and for all and in that
    > > sense its a bugfix, not a regression. The fact function wasn't part of
    > > the original naming scheme was a mistake (see previous discussions on
    > > LKML) which we're trying to address without breaking the documented
    > > standard. The side effect is that some existing drivers need to be
    > > updated to match the documentation (and should never have been merged in
    > > the first place because of that) .

    >
    > So to make it clear "devicename:colour:function" means in the case of
    > applesmc smc::kbd_backlight because there is no colour defined. One
    > could have used "devicename:function:colour" without breaking things -
    > no ?


    No, since devicename:colour was there from the start and the
    documentation said we could append to it.

    > So it seems we will have to file bug reports to the led dealing
    > userspace programs ...


    I'm afraid so, not ideal but we need to get this sorted out properly
    once and for all.

    Regards,

    Richard

    --
    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

+ Reply to Thread