SH4 - Cannot make initramfs work - Kernel

This is a discussion on SH4 - Cannot make initramfs work - Kernel ; Hello, I am trying to boot 2.6.24 kernel on SH4 eb using embedded initramfs. The kernel boots, but when trying to decompress the initramfs image it fails with "crc error", resulting from lib/inflate.c::gunzip:1250. Has anyone got this error? The initramfs ...

  1. SH4 - Cannot make initramfs work

    Hello,

    I am trying to boot 2.6.24 kernel on SH4 eb using embedded initramfs.

    The kernel boots, but when trying to decompress the initramfs image it
    fails with "crc error",
    resulting from lib/inflate.c::gunzip:1250.

    Has anyone got this error? The initramfs image is correct. I also
    dumped the memory of __initramfs_start->__initramfs_start and verified
    that it matches the initramfs image on usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz.

    I then noticed that the kernel code at
    init/initramfs::unpack_to_rootfs:459 supports handling
    uncompressed archives. So I compiled a kernel with uncompressed archived.

    I also hooked the init/initramfs::do_name:585 functions, and see that
    "/init' is passed
    to sys_open, and sys_open returns with -EOENT (-2).

    How can it be? shouldn't rootfs always be available?

    The same attempt on i586, mipsel is working as expected.

    Any ideas?
    1. Why decompression working for kernel and not for initramfs (crc error).
    2. Why files cannot be created on rootfs?

    Thank you,
    Alon Bar-Lev.

  2. Re: SH4 - Cannot make initramfs work

    Hello,

    Can anyone help with this issue?
    Maybe some idea of how to debug this further?

    Thanks!