What do you want from linux-next? - Kernel

This is a discussion on What do you want from linux-next? - Kernel ; Hi Linus, Andrew, Now that we are (presumably) approaching the next merge window, can I ask what use (if any) will you be making of the linux-next tree? Alternatively, is there any information you want from it? -- Cheers, Stephen ...

  1. What do you want from linux-next?

    --
    Cheers,
    Stephen Rothwell sfr@canb.auug.org.au

  2. Re: What do you want from linux-next?

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

    > Hi Linus, Andrew,
    >
    > Now that we are (presumably) approaching the next merge window, can I ask
    > what use (if any) will you be making of the linux-next tree?
    > Alternatively, is there any information you want from it?

    Hi,

    I'd like some clarification about the future (use) of linux-next
    and Andrew's -mm patch series. They duplicate a lot of the major
    git tree or quilt patch series. Can we expect both of them to
    continue as is or will -mm be a patch series on top of linux-next
    or what?

    --
    ~Randy

  3. Re: What do you want from linux-next?

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:59:42 -0700 (PDT) "Randy.Dunlap" wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Linus, Andrew,
    > >
    > > Now that we are (presumably) approaching the next merge window, can I ask
    > > what use (if any) will you be making of the linux-next tree?
    > > Alternatively, is there any information you want from it?

    afacit it's already working. The level of merge and build errors in the
    subsystem trees this time around is a tiny fraction of what it was at the
    same stage in 2.6.24-rcX. otoh perhaps this is because Ingo got tired of
    all the complaining and took most of his tree away from me, dunno

    > I'd like some clarification about the future (use) of linux-next
    > and Andrew's -mm patch series. They duplicate a lot of the major
    > git tree or quilt patch series. Can we expect both of them to
    > continue as is or will -mm be a patch series on top of linux-next
    > or what?

    There are 60 or 80 "susbsytem" trees hosted in -mm at present:

    # spi
    # mfd
    # vt
    # kprobes
    # quota
    # i4l
    # i2o
    # ecryptfs
    # autofs
    # rtc
    # gpio
    # fbdev
    # md
    # pnp
    # ext2
    # ext3
    # ufs
    # udf
    # reiserfs
    # fat
    # documentation
    # cgroups
    # memcgroup
    # cpusets
    # signals
    # pgrp
    # ptrace
    # workqueues
    # cpu hotplug
    # kdump
    # dma
    # ipc
    # ipmi
    # tty
    # elf
    # char
    # keys

    I need to find a way to a) get matureish parts of those trees into
    linux-next and to b) base the rest of -mm off linux-next. I haven't
    started thinking about that yet.

    There seem to be some trees which aren't yet in linux-next, some of them
    significant. The present list I'm pulling from is

    git-acpi
    git-agpgart
    git-alsa-tiwai
    git-arm
    git-arm-master
    git-avr32
    git-audit-master
    git-backlight
    git-battery
    git-block
    git-cifs
    git-cpufreq
    git-drm
    git-dvb
    git-gfs2-nmw
    git-dlm
    git-hrt
    git-kvm
    git-net
    git-bluetooth
    git-cryptodev
    git-ia64
    git-ieee1394
    git-scsi-misc
    git-hid
    git-hwmon
    git-infiniband
    git-input
    git-intelfb
    git-jfs
    git-kbuild
    git-lblnet
    git-leds
    git-libata-all
    git-m32r
    git-mips
    git-async-tx
    git-mmc
    git-mtd
    git-nfs
    git-nfsd
    git-ocfs2
    git-parisc
    git-perfmon
    git-pcmcia
    git-powerpc-merge
    git-powerpc
    git-s390
    git-sched
    git-scsi-rc-fixes
    git-scsi-target
    git-sas
    git-selinux
    git-security-testing
    git-semaphore
    git-sh
    git-slub
    git-sparc64
    git-ubi
    git-udf
    git-jg-misc
    git-unionfs
    git-ntfs
    git-v9fs
    git-watchdog
    git-x86
    git-kgdb-light
    git-xfs
    git-xtensa
    http://ozlabs.org/~rusty/kernel/rr-latest
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...en/pci-hotplug
    ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kerne...ST/broken-out/
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...01-driver-core
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern.../gregkh-03-usb
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern.../gregkh-02-pci
    http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/linux-2.6/jdelvare-i2c/
    http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/p...a-2.6/patches/
    ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kerne...s/2.6/editing/

    which ones are missing?

    Do we know if many people are testing linux-next yet?

    I had planned on asking patch contributors to base their work on linux-next
    when the 2.6.23- and 2.6.24-style calamities reoccurred. But it just
    hasn't happened.

  4. Re: What do you want from linux-next?

    On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 21:32 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > There seem to be some trees which aren't yet in linux-next, some of them
    > significant. The present list I'm pulling from is

    > git-powerpc-merge
    > git-powerpc

    PowerPC is included as powerpc-next in the linux-next tree.

    josh

  5. Re: What do you want from linux-next?

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > There seem to be some trees which aren't yet in linux-next, some of them
    > significant. The present list I'm pulling from is

    > git-selinux

    AFAIK, this is also in linux-next.

    - James
    --