[MMC Stack] Partition limitation question - Kernel

This is a discussion on [MMC Stack] Partition limitation question - Kernel ; Hi, I had a short question about the limitation of max. 8 partitions in the MMC stack. Before the kernel was limited to 256 minor numbers, but I believe this is no longer the case (65536 if I recall correctly). ...

  1. [MMC Stack] Partition limitation question

    Hi,

    I had a short question about the limitation of max. 8
    partitions in the MMC stack. Before the kernel was
    limited to 256 minor numbers, but I believe this is no
    longer the case (65536 if I recall correctly). Is
    there a way around this 8 partition limitation?

    I understand that simply renumbering all minor numbers
    is not really a preferred situation as it would
    require everyone to recreate their device nodes.

    Regards,

    Rogier

  2. Re: [MMC Stack] Partition limitation question

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 04:38:04 -0700 (PDT)
    Rogier Stam wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I had a short question about the limitation of max. 8
    > partitions in the MMC stack. Before the kernel was
    > limited to 256 minor numbers, but I believe this is no
    > longer the case (65536 if I recall correctly). Is
    > there a way around this 8 partition limitation?

    Who in their right mind has more than 8 partitions?

    > I understand that simply renumbering all minor numbers
    > is not really a preferred situation as it would
    > require everyone to recreate their device nodes.

    Indeed. And some embedded systems might not be able to use 32-bit
    device nodes. Russell, do you have any insight to share?

    Rgds

    --
    -- Pierre Ossman

    Linux kernel, MMC maintainer http://www.kernel.org