[RFC] kernel traczilla: tracking active kernel development - Kernel

This is a discussion on [RFC] kernel traczilla: tracking active kernel development - Kernel ; Hi The first thing one normally does before starting a new development is research whether and what has already been done in this area. Unless, of course, one knows it beforehand:-) This research might sometimes be quite time-consuming and might ...

  1. [RFC] kernel traczilla: tracking active kernel development

    Hi

    The first thing one normally does before starting a new development is
    research whether and what has already been done in this area. Unless, of
    course, one knows it beforehand:-)

    This research might sometimes be quite time-consuming and might not always
    deliver expected results. Wouldn't it be good to have a central page for
    tracking such hot kernel projects _before_ they get submitted into
    mainline. One would just decide "now I am prepared to tell the world about
    my work", go to this site, register, enter a description of his project in
    an appropriate section with some contact information (a mailing list that
    the developer is regularly reading should be enough). The site could be
    just organized in a hierarchial manner. For example, to add a new ARM
    XScale port one would go

    top -> Processor architectures -> ARM -> XScale -> ...

    I am no designer, no web-administrator, and no content-provider, but
    knowing that LKML loves action above words, I put up a sceleton trac wiki
    site at

    http://gross-embedded.homelinux.org/trac.fcgi

    so everybody could have a look, play with it, and decide if they think
    something like this could be useful. This is not intended as a final
    solution, so, don't take it too seriously. It is hosted on a 500MHz ARM
    system, so, be patient:-)

    Any opinions, comments, suggestions are welcome.

    Thanks
    Guennadi
    ---
    Guennadi Liakhovetski

  2. Re: [RFC] kernel traczilla: tracking active kernel development

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

    > The first thing one normally does before starting a new development is
    > research whether and what has already been done in this area. Unless, of
    > course, one knows it beforehand:-)
    >
    > This research might sometimes be quite time-consuming and might not always
    > deliver expected results. Wouldn't it be good to have a central page for
    > tracking such hot kernel projects _before_ they get submitted into
    > mainline. One would just decide "now I am prepared to tell the world about
    > my work", go to this site, register, enter a description of his project in
    > an appropriate section with some contact information (a mailing list that
    > the developer is regularly reading should be enough). The site could be
    > just organized in a hierarchial manner. For example, to add a new ARM
    > XScale port one would go
    >
    > top -> Processor architectures -> ARM -> XScale -> ...
    >
    > I am no designer, no web-administrator, and no content-provider, but
    > knowing that LKML loves action above words, I put up a sceleton trac wiki
    > site at
    >
    > http://gross-embedded.homelinux.org/trac.fcgi
    >
    > so everybody could have a look, play with it, and decide if they think
    > something like this could be useful. This is not intended as a final
    > solution, so, don't take it too seriously. It is hosted on a 500MHz ARM
    > system, so, be patient:-)

    Ok, in about 3 weeks there have been maybe 100 or 200 connections to the
    server, most of them from google and yahoo bots and from other less
    pleasant scanners:-) And - not a single new entry. I've modified the
    layout a bit to exactly reproduce the kernel tree, so on the top level I
    have arch/, block/, drivers/, net/, etc. So it should even be easier to
    find a suitable place to enter ones work and to find previous
    developments. I'll leave this site for another 2-3 days running, but if
    it still doesn't attract any contributors and / or feadback, I'll just
    take it down.

    I certainly can understand why there wasn't much interest in it. If a
    development is payed, one often is not allowed to disclose it before the
    completion. I've hoped that "free" developers might get attracted by this
    idea, but this seems to be not the case either, or just not many of them
    read LKML:-)

    Anyway, this is just to document the intention to close the page.

    Thanks
    Guennadi
    ---
    Guennadi Liakhovetski