Re: [alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha - Kernel

This is a discussion on Re: [alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha - Kernel ; rct wrote: > Rene Herman wrote: > > Okay, and applying the attached just makes your sound completely dead in the > > water? > > (patch to remove es1888_init from a Miata build omitted) > > I'll try a ...

  1. Re: [alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha

    rct wrote:
    > Rene Herman wrote:
    > > Okay, and applying the attached just makes your sound completely dead in the
    > > water?
    > > (patch to remove es1888_init from a Miata build omitted)

    > I'll try a build with the old OSS "sb" driver, and if that works ok, we
    > may be able to do away with es1888_init() on the Miata. Tyson -- I
    > think you have a Miata if I'm remembering correctly: can you confirm
    > these observations?

    Quick followup: OSS "sb" driver works fine without es1888_init().

  2. Re: [alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha

    Bob Tracy wrote:
    > rct wrote:
    >> Rene Herman wrote:
    >>> Okay, and applying the attached just makes your sound completely dead in the
    >>> water?
    >>> (patch to remove es1888_init from a Miata build omitted)

    >> I'll try a build with the old OSS "sb" driver, and if that works ok, we
    >> may be able to do away with es1888_init() on the Miata. Tyson -- I
    >> think you have a Miata if I'm remembering correctly: can you confirm
    >> these observations?

    > Quick followup: OSS "sb" driver works fine without es1888_init().

    Okay. I finally got everything tested on my Miata. Unless I missed
    something, the es1888_init routine only gets compiled in with
    CONFIG_ALPHA_MIATA. As I've been using the debian generic kernel (i.e.,
    CONFIG_ALPHA_GENERIC), I have never relied on this routine for anything.

    I did discover, however, when I compiled my own kernel (2.6.25-rc5) with
    CONFIG_ALPHA_MIATA, things stopped working. Specifically, I no longer
    got any interupts (with or without the es1888_init patch and with or
    without the alternative es188xx interupt patch) associated with either
    the builtin sound card (es1888) or the IDE controller (CMD646).

    With CONFIG_ALPHA_GENERIC I only get one interupt with the es18xx driver
    unless I applied to "alternative interupt" handling code. Further,
    sometime between 2.6.14 and 2.6.16, mpg321 (using the alsa driver)
    started generating "Bad page state in process 'mpg321' ... Trying to fix
    it up, but a reboot is needed" kernel messages.

    The machine would continue to operate okay though. However, somewhere
    between 2.6.16 and 2.6.24, it also started crashing very shortly
    thereafter, giving the following backtrace: free_pages_check,
    free_hot_cold_pages, put_pages, free_page_and_swap_cache, unmap_cmas,
    unmap_region, default_wake_function, do_munmap, sys_munmap, entSys.

    Hope this helps.

    Cheers! -Tyson

  3. Re: [alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha

    On 01-04-08 20:07, Tyson Whitehead wrote:

    > Hope this helps.

    Not really no. A lot of data has come in by now and I'll try to sort through
    it trying to distill some sense out of it all later but throwing my hands up
    in the air and finding some older Alpha system to urinate on sounds about as
    good an idea as any at the moment.

    Rene.

  4. Re: [alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha

    On 01-04-08 20:07, Tyson Whitehead wrote:

    > Hope this helps.

    Not really no. A lot of data has come in by now and I'll try to sort through
    it trying to distill some sense out of it all later but throwing my hands up
    in the air and finding some older Alpha system to urinate on sounds about as
    good an idea as any at the moment.

    Rene.

  5. Re: [alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha

    On 01-04-08 20:07, Tyson Whitehead wrote:

    > Hope this helps.

    Not really no. A lot of data has come in by now and I'll try to sort through
    it trying to distill some sense out of it all later but throwing my hands up
    in the air and finding some older Alpha system to urinate on sounds about as
    good an idea as any at the moment.

    Rene.

  6. Re: [alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha

    On 01-04-08 20:34, Rene Herman wrote:

    > On 01-04-08 20:07, Tyson Whitehead wrote:
    >
    >> Hope this helps.

    > Not really no.

    Sorry for the multiple copies; my ISP is crashing again.

    Rene.

  7. Re: [alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha

    Tyson Whitehead wrote:
    > Okay. I finally got everything tested on my Miata. Unless I missed
    > something, the es1888_init routine only gets compiled in with
    > CONFIG_ALPHA_MIATA.

    The current arch/alpha/kernel/Makefile build logic shows es1888.o built
    as part of CONFIG_ALPHA_GENERIC, but if that option isn't enabled, then
    enabling any of the following configuration options will cause es1888.o
    to be built:

    CONFIG_ALPHA_DP264
    CONFIG_ALPHA_SHARK
    CONFIG_ALPHA_MIATA

    > As I've been using the debian generic kernel (i.e.,
    > CONFIG_ALPHA_GENERIC), I have never relied on this routine for anything.
    >
    > I did discover, however, when I compiled my own kernel (2.6.25-rc5) with
    > CONFIG_ALPHA_MIATA, things stopped working. Specifically, I no longer
    > got any interupts (with or without the es1888_init patch and with or
    > without the alternative es188xx interupt patch) associated with either
    > the builtin sound card (es1888) or the IDE controller (CMD646).

    Interesting. I *seldom* use the Debian generic kernel. It's available,
    and I install updated versions when they are released, but all of my
    testing has been with kernels built from the standard kernel.org sources
    with CONFIG_ALPHA_MIATA enabled.

    > With CONFIG_ALPHA_GENERIC I only get one interupt with the es18xx driver
    > unless I applied to "alternative interupt" handling code. Further,
    > sometime between 2.6.14 and 2.6.16, mpg321 (using the alsa driver)
    > started generating "Bad page state in process 'mpg321' ... Trying to fix
    > it up, but a reboot is needed" kernel messages.

    This is consistent with what I remember you reporting when we were
    looking at this back in the 2.6.14 timeframe. I was reporting the "bad
    page state" problems with 2.6.22-rc6 and -rc7. In my case, the trigger
    was a different application, but only happened when snd_es18xx was
    loaded. Hugh Dickins suggested it was a regression introduced in
    2.6.15 that I had managed to successfully avoid tripping on :-). The
    analysis went something like this:

    sound/isa/es18xx.c:
    snd_pcm_lib_preallocate_pages_for_all(pcm, SNDRV_DMA_TYPE_DEV, ...
    led us to sound/core/memalloc.c:
    res = dma_alloc_coherent(dev, PAGE_SIZE << pg, dma, gfp_flags);
    where __GFP_COMP was carefully included in gfp_flags to avoid the
    kinds of problems I was seeing (replacing the pre-2.6.15 use of
    PageReserved).

    Hugh said we could blame him or Nick for removing the special
    PageReserved usage, or the Alpha for ignoring gfp_flags in the
    following:

    #define dma_alloc_coherent(dev, size, addr, gfp) \
    pci_alloc_consistent(alpha_gendev_to_pci(dev), size, addr)

    The workaround (until the official patch was issued) was a small patch
    against arch/alpha/kernel/pci_iommu.cci_alloc_consistent() that
    replaced "gfp_t gfp = GFP_ATOMIC;" with "gfp_t gfp = GFP_ATOMIC|__GFP_COMP;".
    That eliminated the "bad page state" errors for me, and I don't recall
    what the official patch was.

  8. Re: [alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha

    Rene Herman wrote:
    > On 01-04-08 20:34, Rene Herman wrote:
    >
    > > On 01-04-08 20:07, Tyson Whitehead wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hope this helps.

    > > Not really no.

    > Sorry for the multiple copies; my ISP is crashing again.
    >
    > Rene.

    And here I was, thinking you were giving us a *really* strong hint that
    you would like one of us to ship you an Alpha to play with :-).

  9. Re: [alsa-devel] [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha

    On 2/04/2008, at 9:26 AM, Bob Tracy wrote:
    > Hugh said we could blame him or Nick for removing the special
    > PageReserved usage, or the Alpha for ignoring gfp_flags in the
    > following:
    >
    > #define dma_alloc_coherent(dev, size, addr, gfp) \
    > pci_alloc_consistent(alpha_gendev_to_pci(dev), size,
    > addr)
    >
    > The workaround (until the official patch was issued) was a small patch
    > against arch/alpha/kernel/pci_iommu.cci_alloc_consistent() that
    > replaced "gfp_t gfp = GFP_ATOMIC;" with "gfp_t gfp = GFP_ATOMIC|
    > __GFP_COMP;".
    > That eliminated the "bad page state" errors for me, and I don't recall
    > what the official patch was.

    The official patch has just been uploaded to the -mm kernel. Get it at:

    http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/mmot...ap-crash.patch

    It fixed up quite a number of sound playing applications that were
    causing kernel oops on my newer PWS600au (the older one still has
    problems that are of a completely different nature) and also fixed use
    of an M-Audio Revolution audio card on my XP1000.

    The repeated small passages at the end of a short sound file still
    occurs with the es18xx driver on the newer PWS600au (and to a lesser
    extent on the Compaq XP1000). Other sound drivers (cmipci, ice1724)
    do not exhibit the same anomalous symptoms so the problem is probably
    in the es18xx driver.

    The older PWS600au fails to play sound at all and exhibits the
    behaviour you described in a recent message (machine gun like noises
    and the interrupts don't clock up at all) with the es18xx driver. I
    tried to put the C-Media audio card (which uses the cmipci driver)
    into this machine, but SRM reports on powerup that there is an
    "illegal" card installed (I hope the police don't turn up at my door)
    and that it must be removed to continue booting!!! I tried setting
    pci_device_override to 1 in SRM, but that didn't help. So I can't
    verify whether this is an es18xx specific problem or a more general
    alsa problem.

    Now that the crashes due to "bad page state" errors are solved on both
    of my PWS600aus, maybe I should start re-applying the es18xx interrupt
    type patches that Tyson, et al., suggested and see if they now make a
    difference. I will not be able to do this before the weekend.

    Cheerz
    Michael.