Is there a wireless PCI/e card that is supported in the kernel? - Kernel

This is a discussion on Is there a wireless PCI/e card that is supported in the kernel? - Kernel ; In the past, I used ndiswrapper etc but noticed that would freeze up my laptop occasionally.. Obviously for a server machine if you are going to add a wireless card you /probably/ do not want to be using ndiswrapper if ...

  1. Is there a wireless PCI/e card that is supported in the kernel?

    In the past, I used ndiswrapper etc but noticed that would freeze up my
    laptop occasionally..

    Obviously for a server machine if you are going to add a wireless card you
    /probably/ do not want to be using ndiswrapper if it is an important host.

    PCI-e: (D-Link DWA-556)

    PCI Cards:
    This one seems to be the most popular one on newegg:
    EDIMAX EW-7128G IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card Up to 54Mbps Data Rates
    64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1x, WPA, AES - Retail
    Pros: Ubuntu 7.10 (Gusty Gibbon) picked up this card without any need for
    additional drivers. It has been running with 85% signal stregnth with the
    router in the next room.
    But then:
    Cons: Drivers are still under development. The rt2x00 driver is in the
    2.6.24 kernel, but it's somewhat buggy. Kernels built from the rt2x00
    devel tree do work significantly better. Regardless of the kernel that I
    tried, I was unable to put the card into master mode (for creating an
    access point).

    GIGABYTE GN-WP01GS IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Adapter Up to 54Mbps Data
    Rates 64/128 bit WEP, WPA, 802.1x, AES - Retail
    Pros: Just dropped it in and it works in 2.6.22-14 Ubuntu Gutsy x86 (just
    tested WEP though). This was researched before purchase. Ralink open
    sourced their drivers and the rt61pci driver is part modern kernels. Very
    good price.

    D-Link DWL-AG530 IEEE 802.11a/b/g 32-bit PCI Wireless Adapter Up to
    108Mbps Data Rates 64-, 128-, 152-WEP 802.1x WPA.Wi-Fi Protected Access
    (64-, 128-WEP with TKIP, MIC, IV Expansion, Shared Key Authentication
    Supports Advanced Encrypti - Retail
    Good reviews, but nobody mentions Linux.

    Any comments or success stories of GOOD working cards without the use of
    ndiswrapper?

    Justin.

  2. Re: Is there a wireless PCI/e card that is supported in the kernel?

    Justin Piszcz wrote:
    > In the past, I used ndiswrapper etc but noticed that would freeze up
    > my laptop occasionally..
    >
    > Obviously for a server machine if you are going to add a wireless card
    > you /probably/ do not want to be using ndiswrapper if it is an
    > important host.
    >
    > PCI-e: (D-Link DWA-556)
    >
    > PCI Cards:
    > This one seems to be the most popular one on newegg:
    > EDIMAX EW-7128G IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card Up to 54Mbps Data
    > Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1x, WPA, AES - Retail
    > Pros: Ubuntu 7.10 (Gusty Gibbon) picked up this card without any need
    > for additional drivers. It has been running with 85% signal stregnth
    > with the router in the next room.
    > But then:
    > Cons: Drivers are still under development. The rt2x00 driver is in the
    > 2.6.24 kernel, but it's somewhat buggy. Kernels built from the rt2x00
    > devel tree do work significantly better. Regardless of the kernel that
    > I tried, I was unable to put the card into master mode (for creating
    > an access point).
    >
    > GIGABYTE GN-WP01GS IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Adapter Up to 54Mbps
    > Data Rates 64/128 bit WEP, WPA, 802.1x, AES - Retail
    > Pros: Just dropped it in and it works in 2.6.22-14 Ubuntu Gutsy x86
    > (just tested WEP though). This was researched before purchase. Ralink
    > open sourced their drivers and the rt61pci driver is part modern
    > kernels. Very good price.
    >
    > D-Link DWL-AG530 IEEE 802.11a/b/g 32-bit PCI Wireless Adapter Up to
    > 108Mbps Data Rates 64-, 128-, 152-WEP 802.1x WPA.Wi-Fi Protected
    > Access (64-, 128-WEP with TKIP, MIC, IV Expansion, Shared Key
    > Authentication Supports Advanced Encrypti - Retail
    > Good reviews, but nobody mentions Linux.
    >
    > Any comments or success stories of GOOD working cards without the use
    > of ndiswrapper?
    >
    > Justin.
    > --
    > linux-kernel" in

    I have an intel 3945 mini pci card in my laptop that works well and is
    dircctly supported in the kernel. I would look for a card that has a
    chipset directly supported by the vendor which intel does.

    My $.02
    Steve

    --

    "They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
    deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

    decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)

  3. Re: Is there a wireless PCI/e card that is supported in the kernel?

    On 13.03.2008 08:39, Justin Piszcz wrote:

    > Any comments or success stories of GOOD working cards without the use of
    > ndiswrapper?

    I would use a WLAN-router or bridge.

    I recently bought a DSL-router with WLAN functionality and after a
    little testing i realized that it also acts like a bridge. Any WLAN
    device can reach any wired device on the switch where i connected the
    WLAN-router.

    No drivers, no hassle, just a wasted IP for reaching the web-interface
    of the router. ;-)

    Altough i don't know if it is a standard feature or not, it just worked
    in my case. :-)

    Pro:
    - Easy to setup, use & change

    Con: