suspend not working on macbook pro - Kernel

This is a discussion on suspend not working on macbook pro - Kernel ; Hi all, I'm using a macbook pro 3,1 (mid-2007), and suspend worked ok with kernel 2.6.23.x, but with 2.6.25-rc{1,2,3,4} it just freezes during suspend. The console is still on, the disk is powered off, but no response or poweroff... Did ...

  1. suspend not working on macbook pro

    Hi all,

    I'm using a macbook pro 3,1 (mid-2007), and suspend worked ok with
    kernel 2.6.23.x, but with 2.6.25-rc{1,2,3,4} it just freezes during
    suspend. The console is still on, the disk is powered off, but no
    response or poweroff...

    Did anyone else met the same thing? How could I help debug it?
    What other info would you need?

    Thanks,

    --
    pozsy

  2. Re: suspend not working on macbook pro

    On Saturday, 8 of March 2008, Pozsar Balazs wrote:

    > Hi all,

    Hi,

    > I'm using a macbook pro 3,1 (mid-2007), and suspend worked ok with
    > kernel 2.6.23.x, but with 2.6.25-rc{1,2,3,4} it just freezes during
    > suspend. The console is still on, the disk is powered off, but no
    > response or poweroff...
    >
    > Did anyone else met the same thing? How could I help debug it?
    > What other info would you need?

    Can you please verify if the problem also happens with 2.6.24.x?

    Thanks,
    Rafael

  3. Re: suspend not working on macbook pro

    Pozsar Balazs wrote

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm using a macbook pro 3,1 (mid-2007), and suspend worked ok with
    > kernel 2.6.23.x, but with 2.6.25-rc{1,2,3,4} it just freezes during
    > suspend. The console is still on, the disk is powered off, but no
    > response or poweroff...
    >
    > Did anyone else met the same thing? How could I help debug it?
    > What other info would you need?

    I've *never* been able to get it working on mine. Of course, I'm running
    2.6.22 on FC7. What did you have to do in order to get it to work?

    -justinb

    --
    Justin Banks
    BakBone Software

  4. Re: suspend not working on macbook pro

    Hi!

    > I'm using a macbook pro 3,1 (mid-2007), and suspend worked ok with
    > kernel 2.6.23.x, but with 2.6.25-rc{1,2,3,4} it just freezes during
    > suspend. The console is still on, the disk is powered off, but no
    > response or poweroff...
    >
    > Did anyone else met the same thing? How could I help debug it?
    > What other info would you need?

    Find more exact version when it broke? git bisect?

    (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pav...rses/blog.html

  5. Re: suspend not working on macbook pro

    Hi pozsy

    On Mar 8, 12:20 pm, Pozsar Balazs wrote:
    > I'm using a macbook pro 3,1 (mid-2007), and suspend worked ok with
    > kernel 2.6.23.x, but with 2.6.25-rc{1,2,3,4} it just freezes during
    > suspend. The console is still on, the disk is powered off, but no
    > response or poweroff...

    I've had the same problem (tried with 2.6.25-rc3, -rc5 and -rc6).
    Got a MacBook Pro 2,2 (first Core 2 Duo series) here.

    > Did anyone else met the same thing? How could I help debug it?
    > What other info would you need?

    I've solved some issues, using "init=/bin/sh" in the kernel commandline.
    You can then call "/usr/sbin/pm-suspend" and system will actually output
    messages while suspending - does not happen with normal Ubuntu init.

    The first issue I got was the "hangs after Suspending console(s)"
    Solution: kernel command line += "no_console_suspend"

    The 2nd one is a problem with /dev/hda (CDROM) error "drive not ready".
    I could kind of solve this by not using the piix driver from the
    "ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL" section anymore. I only use ata_piix driver from the
    Serial ATA section now, which seems to support the CD drive to.

    Well, after that my system goes into suspend. yay!, but when it wakes
    up. I get the following sequenze:

    - Fan starts running
    - Sound klicks softly
    - CD drive makes a short noise
    - CD drive makes the same noise again (moving the laser i guess)
    - EFI Bootloader appears

    (the second CD drive noise is already part of boot sequence -
    I am not sure about the first one though)

    Anyway, I am not sure if it's nessesary, but I also disabled:
    - dynamic tics
    - smp
    - forced preemption
    - modular USB and SATA drivers

    I still suspect the CD drive to be a problem. - searching for a way to
    disable it for now.

    Greetings from Berlin

    Kristian
    --
    /* Web: http://www.mput.de | Jabber: kristian@mput.de *
    * Blog: http://mput.de/blog | MSN: mueller.kristian@vdi.de *

  6. Re: suspend not working on macbook pro

    On Tue 2008-03-18 06:15:18, Kristian Mueller wrote:
    > Hi pozsy
    >
    > On Mar 8, 12:20 pm, Pozsar Balazs wrote:
    > > I'm using a macbook pro 3,1 (mid-2007), and suspend worked ok with
    > > kernel 2.6.23.x, but with 2.6.25-rc{1,2,3,4} it just freezes during
    > > suspend. The console is still on, the disk is powered off, but no
    > > response or poweroff...

    > I've had the same problem (tried with 2.6.25-rc3, -rc5 and -rc6).
    > Got a MacBook Pro 2,2 (first Core 2 Duo series) here.
    >
    > ???
    > > Did anyone else met the same thing? How could I help debug it?
    > > What other info would you need?

    > I've solved some issues, using "init=/bin/sh" in the kernel commandline.
    > You can then call "/usr/sbin/pm-suspend" and system will actually output
    > messages while suspending - does not happen with normal Ubuntu init.
    >
    > The first issue I got was the "hangs after Suspending console(s)"
    > Solution: kernel command line += "no_console_suspend"
    >
    > The 2nd one is a problem with /dev/hda (CDROM) error "drive not ready".
    > I could kind of solve this by not using the piix driver from the
    > "ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL" section anymore. I only use ata_piix driver from the
    > Serial ATA section now, which seems to support the CD drive to.
    >
    > Well, after that my system goes into suspend. yay!, but when it wakes
    > up. I get the following sequenze:
    >
    > - Fan starts running
    > - Sound klicks softly
    > - CD drive makes a short noise
    > - CD drive makes the same noise again (moving the laser i guess)
    > - EFI Bootloader appears
    >
    > (the second CD drive noise is already part of boot sequence -
    > I am not sure about the first one though)
    >
    > Anyway, I am not sure if it's nessesary, but I also disabled:
    > - dynamic tics
    > - smp
    > - forced preemption
    > - modular USB and SATA drivers
    >
    > I still suspect the CD drive to be a problem. - searching for a way to
    > disable it for now.

    Try inserting infinite loop into wakeup.S. If it hangs instead of efi
    appearing, you have a data point.

    (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pav...rses/blog.html

  7. Re: suspend not working on macbook pro

    On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 10:01:55AM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > > I'm using a macbook pro 3,1 (mid-2007), and suspend worked ok with
    > > kernel 2.6.23.x, but with 2.6.25-rc{1,2,3,4} it just freezes during
    > > suspend. The console is still on, the disk is powered off, but no
    > > response or poweroff...
    > >
    > > Did anyone else met the same thing? How could I help debug it?
    > > What other info would you need?

    > Find more exact version when it broke? git bisect?

    I did not have time for bisect, but I have found that if I boot an
    initrd and do not load the ata_piix module, suspend works, if I load it,
    it hangs during suspend.

    --
    pozsy

  8. Re: suspend not working on macbook pro

    On Friday, 21 of March 2008, Pozsar Balazs wrote:
    > On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 10:01:55AM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > > I'm using a macbook pro 3,1 (mid-2007), and suspend worked ok with
    > > > kernel 2.6.23.x, but with 2.6.25-rc{1,2,3,4} it just freezes during
    > > > suspend. The console is still on, the disk is powered off, but no
    > > > response or poweroff...
    > > >
    > > > Did anyone else met the same thing? How could I help debug it?
    > > > What other info would you need?

    > > Find more exact version when it broke? git bisect?

    > I did not have time for bisect, but I have found that if I boot an
    > initrd and do not load the ata_piix module, suspend works, if I load it,
    > it hangs during suspend.

    Hm, we have an ata_piix vs suspend problem on this box, then.

    Any chance to verify if 2.6.24.x works?

    Thanks,
    Rafael

  9. Re: suspend not working on macbook pro

    On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 05:56:10PM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > On Friday, 21 of March 2008, Pozsar Balazs wrote:
    > > On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 10:01:55AM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > > > Hi!

    > > > Find more exact version when it broke? git bisect?

    > > I did not have time for bisect, but I have found that if I boot an
    > > initrd and do not load the ata_piix module, suspend works, if I load it,
    > > it hangs during suspend.

    > Hm, we have an ata_piix vs suspend problem on this box, then.
    >
    > Any chance to verify if 2.6.24.x works?

    I tried with ata_piix.c copied from 2.6.24, and it fails the same way.

    I'll try to bisect it if I have time.

    --
    pozsy

  10. Re: suspend not working on macbook pro

    On Thursday, 3 of April 2008, Pozsar Balazs wrote:
    > On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 05:56:10PM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

    > > > I did not have time for bisect, but I have found that if I boot an
    > > > initrd and do not load the ata_piix module, suspend works, if I load it,
    > > > it hangs during suspend.

    > > Hm, we have an ata_piix vs suspend problem on this box, then.
    > >
    > > Any chance to verify if 2.6.24.x works?

    > I tried with ata_piix.c copied from 2.6.24, and it fails the same way.

    It generally is not sufficient to replace just one file. Please try the entire
    2.6.24.

    Also, please check 2.6.25-rc8-git2, it might have fixed your issue.

    Thanks,
    Rafael

  11. Re: suspend not working on macbook pro

    Am Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 05:11:55PM +0200 schrieb Rafael J. Wysocki:
    > On Thursday, 3 of April 2008, Pozsar Balazs wrote:

    > > > Hm, we have an ata_piix vs suspend problem on this box, then.
    > > >
    > > > Any chance to verify if 2.6.24.x works?

    > > I tried with ata_piix.c copied from 2.6.24, and it fails the same way.

    > It generally is not sufficient to replace just one file. Please try the entire
    > 2.6.24.
    >
    > Also, please check 2.6.25-rc8-git2, it might have fixed your issue.

    I had the very same problems on a MacBook Pro 3.1 - 2.6.24 suspended and resumed,
    2.6.25-rc[1-7] did not. I never had the time to bisect it, only to test newer RCs,
    and 2.6.25-rc8 just works.

    Thanks!

    Wilfried
    --
    Irgendwas ist ja immer...

  12. Re: suspend not working on macbook pro

    On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 10:05:29PM +0200, Wilfried Klaebe wrote:
    > Am Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 05:11:55PM +0200 schrieb Rafael J. Wysocki:

    > > > I tried with ata_piix.c copied from 2.6.24, and it fails the same way.

    > > It generally is not sufficient to replace just one file. Please try the entire
    > > 2.6.24.
    > >
    > > Also, please check 2.6.25-rc8-git2, it might have fixed your issue.

    > I had the very same problems on a MacBook Pro 3.1 - 2.6.24 suspended and resumed,
    > 2.6.25-rc[1-7] did not. I never had the time to bisect it, only to test newer RCs,
    > and 2.6.25-rc8 just works.

    2.6.25-rc8-git2 works for me too, problem solved!

    Thanks.

    --
    pozsy