Re: KVM: Export include/linux/kvm.h only if $ARCH actually supports KVM - Kernel

This is a discussion on Re: KVM: Export include/linux/kvm.h only if $ARCH actually supports KVM - Kernel ; > Currently, make headers_check barfs due to , which > includes, not existing. Rather than add a zillion s, export kvm.h > only if the arch actually supports it. This makes headers_install_all unreliable. linux/kvm.h will not be exported, depending on ...

  1. Re: KVM: Export include/linux/kvm.h only if $ARCH actually supports KVM

    > Currently, make headers_check barfs due to , which
    > includes, not existing. Rather than add a zillion s, export kvm.h
    > only if the arch actually supports it.

    This makes headers_install_all unreliable.
    linux/kvm.h will not be exported, depending on what system the libc
    headers will be generated. Please revert
    fb56dbb31c4738a3918db81fd24da732ce3b4ae6 and find a different way to run
    make headers_check successfully.

    Similar CONFIG_* usage is in include/asm-cris/Kbuild.
    Fortunately, its not relevant in practice.

  2. Re: KVM: Export include/linux/kvm.h only if $ARCH actually supports KVM

    Olaf Hering wrote:
    >> Currently, make headers_check barfs due to , which
    >> includes, not existing. Rather than add a zillion s, export kvm.h
    >> only if the arch actually supports it.
    >>

    > This makes headers_install_all unreliable.
    > linux/kvm.h will not be exported, depending on what system the libc
    > headers will be generated.

    I see. Any suggestions besides adding lots of asm-*/kvm.h?

    --
    Any sufficiently difficult bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

  3. Re: KVM: Export include/linux/kvm.h only if $ARCH actually supports KVM

    On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 09:43:49AM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
    > Olaf Hering wrote:
    > >>Currently, make headers_check barfs due to , which
    > >>
    > >>includes, not existing. Rather than add a zillion s, export
    > >>kvm.h
    > >>only if the arch actually supports it.
    > >>

    > >This makes headers_install_all unreliable.
    > >linux/kvm.h will not be exported, depending on what system the libc
    > >headers will be generated.

    > I see. Any suggestions besides adding lots of asm-*/kvm.h?

    Do not include asm/kvm.h from linux/kvm.h.
    And in the few places where it is needed explicit include asm/kvm.h before
    linux/kvm.h.

    Alternatively inlcude asm/kvm.h inside #ifdef KERNEL"
    so only userspace has to do explicit include of asm before linux variant.

    Sam

  4. Re: KVM: Export include/linux/kvm.h only if $ARCH actually supports KVM

    Sam Ravnborg wrote:

    >>> This makes headers_install_all unreliable.
    >>> linux/kvm.h will not be exported, depending on what system the libc
    >>> headers will be generated.
    >>>

    >> I see. Any suggestions besides adding lots of asm-*/kvm.h?
    >>

    > Do not include asm/kvm.h from linux/kvm.h.
    > And in the few places where it is needed explicit include asm/kvm.h before
    > linux/kvm.h.
    >
    > Alternatively inlcude asm/kvm.h inside #ifdef KERNEL"
    > so only userspace has to do explicit include of asm before linux variant.

    That's not very nice for userspace, which needs asm/kvm.h for the arch
    specific parts of the interface. I'll add asm-*/kvm.h.

    --
    Any sufficiently difficult bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

  5. Re: KVM: Export include/linux/kvm.h only if $ARCH actually supports KVM

    On Thu, Feb 14, Avi Kivity wrote:

    > Sam Ravnborg wrote:

    >>> I see. Any suggestions besides adding lots of asm-*/kvm.h?
    >>>

    >> Do not include asm/kvm.h from linux/kvm.h.
    >> And in the few places where it is needed explicit include asm/kvm.h before
    >> linux/kvm.h.
    >>
    >> Alternatively inlcude asm/kvm.h inside #ifdef KERNEL"
    >> so only userspace has to do explicit include of asm before linux variant.
    >>

    > That's not very nice for userspace, which needs asm/kvm.h for the arch
    > specific parts of the interface. I'll add asm-*/kvm.h.

    Can you please revert this change before 2.6.25 is released?
    'make headers_install_all' has to be reliable.

    commit fb56dbb31c4738a3918db81fd24da732ce3b4ae6