[git pull] device-mapper update for 2.6.25 - Kernel

This is a discussion on [git pull] device-mapper update for 2.6.25 - Kernel ; Please pull from: master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/agk/linux-2.6-dm.git to get the following device-mapper update for 2.6.25: Alasdair G Kergon (5): dm: mark function lists static dm ioctl: remove lock_kernel dm: targets no longer experimental dm mpath: add missing static dm crypt: move queue functions ...

  1. [git pull] device-mapper update for 2.6.25

    Please pull from:

    master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/agk/linux-2.6-dm.git

    to get the following device-mapper update for 2.6.25:

    Alasdair G Kergon (5):
    dm: mark function lists static
    dm ioctl: remove lock_kernel
    dm: targets no longer experimental
    dm mpath: add missing static
    dm crypt: move queue functions

    Andrew Morton (3):
    dm snapshot: use uninitialized_var
    dm: table use uninitialized_var
    dm ioctl: use uninitialized_var

    Brian Wood (2):
    dm: stripe trigger event on failure
    dm: stripe enhanced status return

    Daniel Walker (1):
    dm: convert suspend_lock semaphore to mutex

    Jonathan Brassow (6):
    dm log: auto load modules
    dm raid1: handle write failures
    dm raid1: handle recovery failures
    dm raid1: fix EIO after log failure
    dm raid1: handle read failures
    dm raid1: report fault status

    Jun'ichi Nomura (1):
    dm: table remove unused total

    Milan Broz (23):
    dm: add missing memory barrier to dm_suspend
    dm ioctl: move compat code
    dm: tidy alloc_dev labels
    dm: refactor deferred bio_list processing
    dm: tidy dm_suspend
    dm: split dm_suspend io_lock hold into two
    dm: refactor dm_suspend completion wait
    dm crypt: move convert_context inside dm_crypt_io
    dm crypt: remove unnecessary crypt_context write parm
    dm crypt: move error setting outside crypt_dec_pending
    dm crypt: tidy crypt_endio
    dm crypt: adjust io processing functions
    dm crypt: store sector mapping in dm_crypt_io
    dm crypt: abstract crypt_write_done
    dm crypt: introduce crypt_write_io_loop
    dm crypt: tidy io ref counting
    dm crypt: extract scatterlist processing
    dm crypt: add async request mempool
    dm crypt: add completion for async
    dm crypt: prepare async callback fn
    dm crypt: use async crypto
    dm: move deferred bio flushing to workqueue
    dm snapshot: combine consecutive exceptions in memory

    Paul Jimenez (1):
    dm: table use list_for_each

    Robert P. J. Day (1):
    dm snapshot: use rounddown_pow_of_two

    Vasily Averin (1):
    dm: table remove unused variable

    drivers/md/Kconfig | 24 +-
    drivers/md/dm-crypt.c | 486 +++++++++++++++++++----------
    drivers/md/dm-exception-store.c | 2 +-
    drivers/md/dm-ioctl.c | 32 ++-
    drivers/md/dm-log.c | 51 +++-
    drivers/md/dm-mpath.c | 2 +-
    drivers/md/dm-raid1.c | 664 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----
    drivers/md/dm-snap.c | 95 ++++--
    drivers/md/dm-snap.h | 50 +++-
    drivers/md/dm-stripe.c | 105 ++++++-
    drivers/md/dm-table.c | 20 +-
    drivers/md/dm.c | 238 +++++++++------
    fs/compat_ioctl.c | 34 --
    include/linux/device-mapper.h | 18 +-
    include/linux/dm-ioctl.h | 34 +--

    Alasdair
    --
    agk@redhat.com

  2. Re: [git pull] device-mapper update for 2.6.25

    On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 02:45:32 +0000 Alasdair G Kergon wrote:

    > dm: move deferred bio flushing to workqueue

    To my unpracticed eye this one looks fairly fundamental. Unfortunately the
    changelog:

    Add a single-thread workqueue for each mapped device and move flushing
    of the lists of pushback and deferred bios to this new workqueue.

    tells us nothing of the reasons for this change. (It should have done so!)

    It _looks_ pretty unscalable. Perhaps these deferred BIOs don't happen
    very often?

  3. Re: [git pull] device-mapper update for 2.6.25

    On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 07:04:47PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 02:45:32 +0000 Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
    >
    > > dm: move deferred bio flushing to workqueue

    > To my unpracticed eye this one looks fairly fundamental. Unfortunately the
    > changelog:
    >
    > Add a single-thread workqueue for each mapped device and move flushing
    > of the lists of pushback and deferred bios to this new workqueue.
    >
    > tells us nothing of the reasons for this change. (It should have done so!)
    >
    > It _looks_ pretty unscalable. Perhaps these deferred BIOs don't happen
    > very often?

    Indeed - it's a rare occurrence - happens when the dm device is
    suspended/resumed which usually means it was being reconfigured by something in
    userspace.

    It's the first patch of a series that will provide barrier support (slated for
    2.6.26).

    The appearance of all these workqueues in dm goes back to this old change:
    md-dm-reduce-stack-usage-with-stacked-block-devices.patch

    Alasdair
    --
    agk@redhat.com