oldconfig/menuconfig help text display for "choice" items - Kernel

This is a discussion on oldconfig/menuconfig help text display for "choice" items - Kernel ; Hi, when running oldconfig, I got to see some new IO delay questions, and tried displaying its info using ?. IO delay type 1. port 0x80 based port-IO delay [recommended] (IO_DELAY_0X80) (NEW) > 2. port 0xed based port-IO delay (IO_DELAY_0XED) ...

  1. oldconfig/menuconfig help text display for "choice" items

    Hi,

    when running oldconfig, I got to see some new IO delay questions,
    and tried displaying its info using ?.

    IO delay type
    1. port 0x80 based port-IO delay [recommended] (IO_DELAY_0X80) (NEW)
    > 2. port 0xed based port-IO delay (IO_DELAY_0XED) (NEW)

    3. udelay based port-IO delay (IO_DELAY_UDELAY) (NEW)
    4. no port-IO delay (IO_DELAY_NONE) (NEW)
    choice[1-4]: ?

    Sorry, no help available for this option yet.

    The IO_DELAY_* "config" items have a help text, while the "choice"
    item does not.
    Are there any plans on 'fixing' oldconfig to somehow tell me something
    about such new options?

    thanks,
    Jan

  2. Re: oldconfig/menuconfig help text display for "choice" items

    On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 02:02:19AM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > when running oldconfig, I got to see some new IO delay questions,
    > and tried displaying its info using ?.
    >
    > IO delay type
    > 1. port 0x80 based port-IO delay [recommended] (IO_DELAY_0X80) (NEW)
    > > 2. port 0xed based port-IO delay (IO_DELAY_0XED) (NEW)
    > 3. udelay based port-IO delay (IO_DELAY_UDELAY) (NEW)
    > 4. no port-IO delay (IO_DELAY_NONE) (NEW)
    > choice[1-4]: ?
    >
    > Sorry, no help available for this option yet.
    >

    > The IO_DELAY_* "config" items have a help text, while the "choice"
    > item does not.
    > Are there any plans on 'fixing' oldconfig to somehow tell me something
    > about such new options?

    IT should be fixed but I have not looked into to it.
    Roman?

    Sam