Re: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24 - Kernel

This is a discussion on Re: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24 - Kernel ; Gene Heskett wrote: > And so far no one has tried to comment on those 2 dmesg lines I've quoted a > couple of times now, here's another: > [ 0.000000] Nvidia board detected. Ignoring ACPI timer override. > [ ...

  1. Re: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24

    Gene Heskett wrote:
    > And so far no one has tried to comment on those 2 dmesg lines I've quoted a
    > couple of times now, here's another:
    > [ 0.000000] Nvidia board detected. Ignoring ACPI timer override.
    > [ 0.000000] If you got timer trouble try acpi_use_timer_override
    > what the heck is that trying to tell me to do, in some sort of broken english?

    A lot of NVIDIA-chipset motherboards have BIOS problems where they
    include an incorrect ACPI interrupt override for the timer interrupt,
    which tends to cause the system to fail to boot due to the timer
    interrupt not working. The kernel normally ignores ACPI interrupt
    overrides on the timer interrupt for NVIDIA chipsets for this reason.
    Unfortunately on some such boards the override is actually correct and
    needed, and so this actually causes problems. Hence the
    acpi_use_timer_override option.

    In any case this is unlikely to have anything to do with your problem,
    since if that was messed up you likely would never have even booted.

  2. Re: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24

    On Monday 28 January 2008, Robert Han**** wrote:
    >Gene Heskett wrote:
    >> And so far no one has tried to comment on those 2 dmesg lines I've quoted
    >> a couple of times now, here's another:
    >> [ 0.000000] Nvidia board detected. Ignoring ACPI timer override.
    >> [ 0.000000] If you got timer trouble try acpi_use_timer_override
    >> what the heck is that trying to tell me to do, in some sort of broken
    >> english?

    >A lot of NVIDIA-chipset motherboards have BIOS problems where they
    >include an incorrect ACPI interrupt override for the timer interrupt,
    >which tends to cause the system to fail to boot due to the timer
    >interrupt not working. The kernel normally ignores ACPI interrupt
    >overrides on the timer interrupt for NVIDIA chipsets for this reason.
    >Unfortunately on some such boards the override is actually correct and
    >needed, and so this actually causes problems. Hence the
    >acpi_use_timer_override option.
    >
    >In any case this is unlikely to have anything to do with your problem,
    >since if that was messed up you likely would never have even booted.
    >--

    In this case, there seems to be a buglet. I turned on the nvidia/amd drives
    under the ATA section of the menu, and turned off the pata_amd under the sata
    menu in xconfig.

    But I've tried twice now and it fails to build the initrd because the pata_amd
    module is on the missing list. Of course its missing, I didn't have it
    built...

    Next?

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

  3. Re: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24

    Gene Heskett wrote:
    > On Monday 28 January 2008, Robert Han**** wrote:
    >> Gene Heskett wrote:
    >>> And so far no one has tried to comment on those 2 dmesg lines I've quoted
    >>> a couple of times now, here's another:
    >>> [ 0.000000] Nvidia board detected. Ignoring ACPI timer override.
    >>> [ 0.000000] If you got timer trouble try acpi_use_timer_override
    >>> what the heck is that trying to tell me to do, in some sort of broken
    >>> english?

    >> A lot of NVIDIA-chipset motherboards have BIOS problems where they
    >> include an incorrect ACPI interrupt override for the timer interrupt,
    >> which tends to cause the system to fail to boot due to the timer
    >> interrupt not working. The kernel normally ignores ACPI interrupt
    >> overrides on the timer interrupt for NVIDIA chipsets for this reason.
    >> Unfortunately on some such boards the override is actually correct and
    >> needed, and so this actually causes problems. Hence the
    >> acpi_use_timer_override option.
    >>
    >> In any case this is unlikely to have anything to do with your problem,
    >> since if that was messed up you likely would never have even booted.
    >> --

    > In this case, there seems to be a buglet. I turned on the nvidia/amd drives
    > under the ATA section of the menu, and turned off the pata_amd under the sata
    > menu in xconfig.
    >
    > But I've tried twice now and it fails to build the initrd because the pata_amd
    > module is on the missing list. Of course its missing, I didn't have it
    > built...
    >
    > Next?

    Check the /etc/modprobe.conf file, a lot of distributions use this to
    generate the initrd. If there's references to pata_amd it'll try and
    include it.

  4. Re: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24

    On Monday 28 January 2008, Robert Han**** wrote:
    [...]
    >Check the /etc/modprobe.conf file, a lot of distributions use this to
    >generate the initrd. If there's references to pata_amd it'll try and
    >include it.

    Bingo! Thanks Robert, I'll try it again with that line commented. I wasn't
    aware of that connection at all. Yup, it worked, I feel a reboot coming
    on.

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

  5. Re: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24

    On Monday 28 January 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:
    >On Monday 28 January 2008, Robert Han**** wrote:
    >[...]
    >
    >>Check the /etc/modprobe.conf file, a lot of distributions use this to
    >>generate the initrd. If there's references to pata_amd it'll try and
    >>include it.

    >Bingo! Thanks Robert, I'll try it again with that line commented. I wasn't
    >aware of that connection at all. Yup, it worked, I feel a reboot coming
    >on.

    But it didn't work, apparently commenting that line out needs to be balanced
    by adding another line telling it amd74xx is the 'hostadapter', not
    necessarily scsi.

    Can this be made more universal so I don't have to edit /etc/modprobe.conf?

    Thanks.

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

  6. Re: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24

    Gene Heskett wrote:
    > On Monday 28 January 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:
    >> On Monday 28 January 2008, Robert Han**** wrote:
    >> [...]
    >>
    >>> Check the /etc/modprobe.conf file, a lot of distributions use this to
    >>> generate the initrd. If there's references to pata_amd it'll try and
    >>> include it.

    >> Bingo! Thanks Robert, I'll try it again with that line commented. I wasn't
    >> aware of that connection at all. Yup, it worked, I feel a reboot coming
    >> on.

    > But it didn't work, apparently commenting that line out needs to be balanced
    > by adding another line telling it amd74xx is the 'hostadapter', not
    > necessarily scsi.
    >
    > Can this be made more universal so I don't have to edit /etc/modprobe.conf?
    >..

    You could really do it like Linus (and me), and not bother with modules
    for critical services like hard disks.

    Just build them *into* the core kernel (select "y" or "checkmark" rather
    than "m" or "dot" for modules). This eliminates a ton of crap that can fail,
    and may also make your kernel a micro-MIP faster (core memory is often mapped
    without page table entries, whereas loaded modules use page tables.. slower, slightly).

    Linus just edits the /boot/grub/menu.lst, and clones an existing boot entry
    for the new kernel, editing the "kernel" line to match the name of the file
    that got installed in /boot by "make install" (from the kernel directory).
    He just leaves the ramdisk/initrd line as-was --> wrong version, but that's okay.

    I totally get rid of them here, but that requires hardcoding the root=/dev/xxxx
    part on the "kernel" line. No big deal, it works just fine that way.

    Cheers