Re: [patch 1/2] show being-loaded/being-unloaded indicator for modules - Kernel

This is a discussion on Re: [patch 1/2] show being-loaded/being-unloaded indicator for modules - Kernel ; this looks very useful! >Unfortunatly, it's not always easy to see directly >which module is being loaded/unloaded from the oops itself. no wonder, as most modules seem to be very quiet on on load/unload. some days ago i was curious ...

  1. Re: [patch 1/2] show being-loaded/being-unloaded indicator for modules

    this looks very useful!

    >Unfortunatly, it's not always easy to see directly
    >which module is being loaded/unloaded from the oops itself.

    no wonder, as most modules seem to be very quiet on on load/unload.

    some days ago i was curious how "consistent" modules would leave messages in syslog load/unload.
    this is why i made a little statistic on that.

    i`d like to share the essential part here (can provide more details if you like):

    on load, 1204 on unload, 1655 (out of 2088) left absoultely _no_ message in syslog

    example:

    3c359 - silence
    3c501 - silence
    3c503 - 2 lines on load, 0 on unload
    3c505 - 3 lines on load, 0 on unload
    3c507 - silence
    3c509 - silence
    3c515 - 1 line on load, 0 on unload
    3c574_cs - silence
    3c589_cs - silence
    3c59x - silence

    ok, this is not too reliable, because modules might act differently if they find appropriate hardware.

    but i wonder if some mandatory "print a message on init/exit" wouldn`t give a benefit to admins or end-users, too.
    sure this would additionally clutter up syslog, but it would add transparency.

    if modules can print informations like credits, email-adresses and path-to-the-source-files, why not some mandatory message on load/unload then....

    >List: linux-kernel
    >Subject: [patch 1/2] show being-loaded/being-unloaded indicator for modules
    >From: Arjan van de Ven
    >Date: 2008-01-06 23:18:50
    >[Download message RAW]
    >
    >Subject: show being-loaded/being-unloaded indicator for modules in oopses
    >From: Arjan van de Ven
    >CC: rusty@rustcorp.com.au
    >CC: ak@suse.de
    >CC: mingo@elte.hu
    >
    >It's rather common that an oops/WARN_ON/BUG happens during the load or
    >unload of a module. Unfortunatly, it's not always easy to see directly
    >which module is being loaded/unloaded from the oops itself. Worse,
    >it's not even always possible to ask the bug reporter, since there
    >are so many components (udev etc) that auto-load modules that there's
    >a good chance that even the reporter doesn't know which module this is.
    >
    >This patch extends the existing "show if it's tainting" print code,
    >which is used as part of printing the modules in the oops/BUG/WARN_ON
    >to include a "+" for "being loaded" and a "-" for "being unloaded".

    >As a result this extension, the "taint_flags()" function gets renamed to
    >"module_flags()" (and takes a module struct as argument, not a taint
    >flags int).

  2. Re: [patch 1/2] show being-loaded/being-unloaded indicator for modules

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 11:09:23 +0100
    devzero@web.de wrote:

    > this looks very useful!
    >
    > >Unfortunatly, it's not always easy to see directly
    > >which module is being loaded/unloaded from the oops itself.

    > no wonder, as most modules seem to be very quiet on on load/unload.
    >

    > but i wonder if some mandatory "print a message on init/exit"
    > wouldn`t give a benefit to admins or end-users, too. sure this would
    > additionally clutter up syslog, but it would add transparency.

    Regardless of the usefulness, really, if this would be mandatory for all modules, it should
    be done in the module loader itself....
    But I'm not entirely convinced how useful that is to do always, although I can see the
    point of having it as debug option, similar to the initcall debug stuff...

    --
    If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
    visit http://www.lesswatts.org

  3. Re: Re: [patch 1/2] show being-loaded/being-unloaded indicator for modules

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 11:09:23 +0100, devzero@web.de said:

    > but i wonder if some mandatory "print a message on init/exit

    With a 'printk(LOG_DEBUG,...' please. Boot with initcall_debug sometime to
    see why.

  4. Re: [patch 1/2] show being-loaded/being-unloaded indicator for modules

    On Tuesday 08 January 2008 01:21:16 Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 11:09:23 +0100
    >
    > devzero@web.de wrote:
    > > this looks very useful!
    > >
    > > >Unfortunatly, it's not always easy to see directly
    > > >which module is being loaded/unloaded from the oops itself.

    > > no wonder, as most modules seem to be very quiet on on load/unload.
    > >

    > > but i wonder if some mandatory "print a message on init/exit"
    > > wouldn`t give a benefit to admins or end-users, too. sure this would
    > > additionally clutter up syslog, but it would add transparency.

    > Regardless of the usefulness, really, if this would be mandatory for all
    > modules, it should be done in the module loader itself....
    > But I'm not entirely convinced how useful that is to do always, although I
    > can see the point of having it as debug option, similar to the initcall
    > debug stuff...

    We could overload initcall_debug for this if we wanted to be consistant. But
    I'm just not sure it'd be clear when to turn it on...

    Rusty.