kexec refuses to boot latest -mm - Kernel

This is a discussion on kexec refuses to boot latest -mm - Kernel ; Dhaval Giani wrote: >> >> Could you give more details of your setup? I'm trying to figure out >> exactly what it is in kexec that goes goofy, but there seems to be an >> enormous number of codepaths, all ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: kexec refuses to boot latest -mm

    Dhaval Giani wrote:

    >> Could you give more details of your setup? I'm trying to figure out
    >> exactly what it is in kexec that goes goofy, but there seems to be an
    >> enormous number of codepaths, all different, depending on things like which
    >> kind of kernel. The more closely I can replicate your failure, the quicker
    >> I should be able to locate the problem.
    >>

    > (Anything else you need, please let me know!)

    - Is your pre- and post-kexec kernels the same kernel?
    - What format are you using for the post-kexec kernel?
    - Exact kexec command line?
    - Exact boot configuration for the pre-kexec kernel?

    If you can send me the images that would be extra helpful.

    Thanks!

    -hpa

  2. Re: crashing on lowmem-only config (was: kexec refuses to boot latest -mm)

    Dhaval Giani wrote:

    > .config

    This appears to be unrelated, but booting this configuration on a stock
    2.6.24-rc7 kernel crashes during bootup with no initrd if the memory
    size is 896 MB or less (i.e. lowmem only):

    Bad page state in process 'swapper'
    page:c1b59800 flags:0xdead4aad mapping:00000000 mapcount:0 count:0
    Trying to fix it up, but a reboot is needed
    Backtrace:
    Pid: 0, comm: swapper Not tainted 2.6.24-rc7 #1
    [] show_trace_log_lvl+0x1a/0x2f
    [] show_trace+0x12/0x14
    [] dump_stack+0x6c/0x72
    [] bad_page+0x67/0x93
    [] __free_pages_ok+0x63/0x2f3
    [] __free_pages+0x24/0x26
    [] __free_pages_bootmem+0x5f/0x63
    [] free_all_bootmem_core+0xcd/0x1a4
    [] free_all_bootmem+0xd/0xf
    [] mem_init+0x81/0x31b
    [] start_kernel+0x2af/0x335
    [<00000000>] 0x0
    =======================
    Bad page state in process 'swapper'
    [...]
    BUG: spinlock lockup on CPU#0, swapper/0, 00000e28
    Pid: 0, comm: swapper Tainted: G B 2.6.24-rc7 #1
    [] show_trace_log_lvl+0x1a/0x2f
    [] show_trace+0x12/0x14
    [] dump_stack+0x6c/0x72
    [] _raw_spin_lock+0xc1/0xe2