programs vanish with 2.6.22+ - Kernel

This is a discussion on programs vanish with 2.6.22+ - Kernel ; Hello! Excuse my bad english, I am no native speaker. And please CC me, as I am not subscribed! I am running an amd64 system with a stable gentoo. Today I upgraded to the kernel 2.6.22 and noticed many programs ...

  1. programs vanish with 2.6.22+

    Hello!

    Excuse my bad english, I am no native speaker. And please CC me, as I am
    not subscribed!

    I am running an amd64 system with a stable gentoo. Today I upgraded to
    the kernel 2.6.22 and noticed many programs to disappear.
    I use a kde desktop (3.5.7) and when amarok or kmail crash, normaly
    a "kde-crash-manager" pops up (but that happend very rarely), but not
    with 2.6.22+. It happens often and without any messagebox.
    kdesktop, xchat, kicker, konqueror crashed as well.
    It happens more often under heavy load. But it can also happen when
    idle. Also I have the feeling that it happens more often on 2.6.23+ I
    might be wrong.

    I tried 2.6.23 and the current 2.6.24-rc4, which all show this problem
    aswell!
    What has changed in 2.6.21 -> 2.6.22 that could cause such things?
    Or who can tell that?
    Can I help? How? (I use linux for years and can code, but I never
    debugged anything as big as the kernel...)

    Markus

    PS: Sorry thats so late, but I normaly stay on the distros stable kernel
    and only try vanilla when something is wrong

  2. Re: programs vanish with 2.6.22+

    Just forgot to mention:
    dmesg gives nothing (/var/log/messages)
    the global X log aswell

    and in the users .xsession-errors I have:
    amarokapp: Fatal IO error: client killed
    kdesktop: Fatal IO error: client killed
    konqueror: Fatal IO error: client killed
    The application 'xchat' lost its connection to the display :0.0;

    I dont know what that means, but at least its something

    Markus

    > Hello!
    >
    > Excuse my bad english, I am no native speaker. And please CC me, as I

    am
    > not subscribed!
    >
    > I am running an amd64 system with a stable gentoo. Today I upgraded to
    > the kernel 2.6.22 and noticed many programs to disappear.
    > I use a kde desktop (3.5.7) and when amarok or kmail crash, normaly
    > a "kde-crash-manager" pops up (but that happend very rarely), but not
    > with 2.6.22+. It happens often and without any messagebox.
    > kdesktop, xchat, kicker, konqueror crashed as well.
    > It happens more often under heavy load. But it can also happen when
    > idle. Also I have the feeling that it happens more often on 2.6.23+ I
    > might be wrong.
    >
    > I tried 2.6.23 and the current 2.6.24-rc4, which all show this problem
    > aswell!
    > What has changed in 2.6.21 -> 2.6.22 that could cause such things?
    > Or who can tell that?
    > Can I help? How? (I use linux for years and can code, but I never
    > debugged anything as big as the kernel...)
    >

    > Markus
    >
    > PS: Sorry thats so late, but I normaly stay on the distros stable

    kernel
    > and only try vanilla when something is wrong

  3. Re: programs vanish with 2.6.22+

    On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Markus wrote:

    > Just forgot to mention:
    > dmesg gives nothing (/var/log/messages)
    > the global X log aswell
    >
    > and in the users .xsession-errors I have:
    > amarokapp: Fatal IO error: client killed
    > kdesktop: Fatal IO error: client killed
    > konqueror: Fatal IO error: client killed
    > The application 'xchat' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
    >
    > I dont know what that means, but at least its something

    Hm, no good idea, but some possible hints:

    1. Ask Gentoo folks - if anyone has seen similar problems
    2. RAM test - even if earlier kernels ran stable, the new one might stress
    your RAM differently
    3. Are you sure nothing else has changed apart from the kernel?
    4. You might try to recompile a vanilla 2.6.23+ kernel and enable as many
    kernel debugging options as you can...
    5. Are you sure the installed kernel matches your CPU and your user-space
    64- / 32-bit combination? Don't know whether a wrongly configured kernel
    could cause such problems though

    Good luck
    Guennadi

    > Markus
    >
    > > Hello!
    > >
    > > Excuse my bad english, I am no native speaker. And please CC me, as I

    > am
    > > not subscribed!
    > >
    > > I am running an amd64 system with a stable gentoo. Today I upgraded to
    > > the kernel 2.6.22 and noticed many programs to disappear.
    > > I use a kde desktop (3.5.7) and when amarok or kmail crash, normaly
    > > a "kde-crash-manager" pops up (but that happend very rarely), but not
    > > with 2.6.22+. It happens often and without any messagebox.
    > > kdesktop, xchat, kicker, konqueror crashed as well.
    > > It happens more often under heavy load. But it can also happen when
    > > idle. Also I have the feeling that it happens more often on 2.6.23+ I
    > > might be wrong.
    > >
    > > I tried 2.6.23 and the current 2.6.24-rc4, which all show this problem
    > > aswell!
    > > What has changed in 2.6.21 -> 2.6.22 that could cause such things?
    > > Or who can tell that?
    > > Can I help? How? (I use linux for years and can code, but I never
    > > debugged anything as big as the kernel...)
    > >

    > > Markus
    > >
    > > PS: Sorry thats so late, but I normaly stay on the distros stable

    > kernel
    > > and only try vanilla when something is wrong
    > >

    > --

    ---
    Guennadi Liakhovetski

  4. Re: programs vanish with 2.6.22+

    Am Donnerstag, 6. Dezember 2007 schrieb Guennadi Liakhovetski:
    > On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Markus wrote:
    >
    > > Just forgot to mention:
    > > dmesg gives nothing (/var/log/messages)
    > > the global X log aswell
    > >
    > > and in the users .xsession-errors I have:
    > > amarokapp: Fatal IO error: client killed
    > > kdesktop: Fatal IO error: client killed
    > > konqueror: Fatal IO error: client killed
    > > The application 'xchat' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
    > >
    > > I dont know what that means, but at least its something

    > Hm, no good idea, but some possible hints:
    >
    > 1. Ask Gentoo folks - if anyone has seen similar problems

    Noone gave a positiv answer so far.

    > 2. RAM test - even if earlier kernels ran stable, the new one might

    stress
    > your RAM differently

    Will do that overnight.

    > 3. Are you sure nothing else has changed apart from the kernel?

    Yes, I have some kernels installed and booted into them without changing
    anything else.

    > 4. You might try to recompile a vanilla 2.6.23+ kernel and enable as

    many
    > kernel debugging options as you can...

    I try that next.

    > 5. Are you sure the installed kernel matches your CPU and your

    user-space
    > 64- / 32-bit combination? Don't know whether a wrongly configured

    kernel
    > could cause such problems though

    Everything is "safe". Its a native 64-bit system with "safe" flags.

    > Good luck
    > Guennadi

    I will write when I did a ram-test and am running a 24-rc4 with
    full-debug.
    Will also try things from the gentoo-users...

    Is there any userspace software that is needed with newer kernels?

    Markus

    > > Markus
    > >
    > > > Hello!
    > > >
    > > > Excuse my bad english, I am no native speaker. And please CC me,

    as I
    > > am
    > > > not subscribed!
    > > >
    > > > I am running an amd64 system with a stable gentoo. Today I

    upgraded to
    > > > the kernel 2.6.22 and noticed many programs to disappear.
    > > > I use a kde desktop (3.5.7) and when amarok or kmail crash,

    normaly
    > > > a "kde-crash-manager" pops up (but that happend very rarely), but

    not
    > > > with 2.6.22+. It happens often and without any messagebox.
    > > > kdesktop, xchat, kicker, konqueror crashed as well.
    > > > It happens more often under heavy load. But it can also happen

    when
    > > > idle. Also I have the feeling that it happens more often on

    2.6.23+ I
    > > > might be wrong.
    > > >
    > > > I tried 2.6.23 and the current 2.6.24-rc4, which all show this

    problem
    > > > aswell!
    > > > What has changed in 2.6.21 -> 2.6.22 that could cause such things?
    > > > Or who can tell that?
    > > > Can I help? How? (I use linux for years and can code, but I never
    > > > debugged anything as big as the kernel...)
    > > >

    > > > Markus
    > > >
    > > > PS: Sorry thats so late, but I normaly stay on the distros stable

    > > kernel
    > > > and only try vanilla when something is wrong
    > > >

    > > --

    linux-kernel" in

    > ---
    > Guennadi Liakhovetski

  5. Re: programs vanish with 2.6.22+

    Hi again!

    The memtest ran 14 passes (~10h) without an error.

    I now have a 2.6.24-rc4 with some debug-options turned on, waiting for
    something to happen... can I just leave it untill a window disappears
    or do I need to manually enable something or run some user-space app?!

    Markus

  6. Re: programs vanish with 2.6.22+

    On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Markus wrote:

    > Hi again!
    >
    > The memtest ran 14 passes (~10h) without an error.
    >
    > I now have a 2.6.24-rc4 with some debug-options turned on, waiting for
    > something to happen... can I just leave it untill a window disappears
    > or do I need to manually enable something or run some user-space app?!

    It depends - different options have it differently. Most simple ones are
    just compile-time, so, you don't have to enable them. Look in "help" for
    respective debug-options.

    Thanks
    Guennadi
    ---
    Guennadi Liakhovetski

  7. Re: programs vanish with 2.6.22+

    Well, now some windows vanished, but no additional messages were
    produced by kernel. When somebody could tell what I exactly need to
    do... would be nice.
    Or a hit, in what direction I should look. Because its really nasty to
    not being able to use a current kernel.

    I already rebuild the whole system, as suggested by the gentoo-devs,
    without success.

    I could also try to debug/strace/whatever the apps and wait for it to
    disappear.

    Just talk to me, I am not able to do this on my own...

    Markus

    > On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Markus wrote:
    >
    > > Hi again!
    > >
    > > The memtest ran 14 passes (~10h) without an error.
    > >
    > > I now have a 2.6.24-rc4 with some debug-options turned on, waiting

    for
    > > something to happen... can I just leave it untill a window

    disappears
    > > or do I need to manually enable something or run some user-space

    app?!

    > It depends - different options have it differently. Most simple ones

    are
    > just compile-time, so, you don't have to enable them. Look in "help"

    for
    > respective debug-options.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Guennadi
    > ---
    > Guennadi Liakhovetski

  8. Re: programs vanish with 2.6.22+

    fre, 07 12 2007 kl. 23:52 +0100, skrev Markus:
    > Well, now some windows vanished, but no additional messages were
    > produced by kernel. When somebody could tell what I exactly need to
    > do... would be nice.
    > Or a hit, in what direction I should look. Because its really nasty to
    > not being able to use a current kernel.
    >
    > I already rebuild the whole system, as suggested by the gentoo-devs,
    > without success.
    >
    > I could also try to debug/strace/whatever the apps and wait for it to
    > disappear.
    >
    > Just talk to me, I am not able to do this on my own...

    If you feel like you are able to tell whether a specific kernel version
    is buggy or not, you might want to try to bisect it. See
    Documentation/BUG-HUNTING in the sources, and please ask.

    Simon Holm Th√łgersen

  9. Re: programs vanish with 2.6.22+

    On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Markus wrote:

    > Well, now some windows vanished, but no additional messages were
    > produced by kernel. When somebody could tell what I exactly need to
    > do... would be nice.
    > Or a hit, in what direction I should look. Because its really nasty to
    > not being able to use a current kernel.
    >
    > I already rebuild the whole system, as suggested by the gentoo-devs,
    > without success.
    >
    > I could also try to debug/strace/whatever the apps and wait for it to
    > disappear.

    Well, you could attach strace to all likely crash candidates like

    strace -etrace=none -o/tmp/.trace -p

    which would at least tell you what signal it caught...

    good luck
    Guennadi

    > Just talk to me, I am not able to do this on my own...
    >

    > Markus
    >
    > > On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Markus wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi again!
    > > >
    > > > The memtest ran 14 passes (~10h) without an error.
    > > >
    > > > I now have a 2.6.24-rc4 with some debug-options turned on, waiting

    > for
    > > > something to happen... can I just leave it untill a window

    > disappears
    > > > or do I need to manually enable something or run some user-space

    > app?!
    > >
    > > It depends - different options have it differently. Most simple ones

    > are
    > > just compile-time, so, you don't have to enable them. Look in "help"

    > for
    > > respective debug-options.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Guennadi
    > > ---
    > > Guennadi Liakhovetski

    ---
    Guennadi Liakhovetski

  10. Re: programs vanish with 2.6.22+

    Well, just tried it. Started a dozen konquerors and attached strace to
    everyone. When one disapeared, I only got a "Process 9246 detached",
    nothing else is printed or written in the log.

    Markus

    > On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Markus wrote:
    >
    > > Well, now some windows vanished, but no additional messages were
    > > produced by kernel. When somebody could tell what I exactly need to
    > > do... would be nice.
    > > Or a hit, in what direction I should look. Because its really nasty

    > > not being able to use a current kernel.
    > >
    > > I already rebuild the whole system, as suggested by the gentoo-devs,
    > > without success.
    > >
    > > I could also try to debug/strace/whatever the apps and wait for it

    > > disappear.

    > Well, you could attach strace to all likely crash candidates like
    >
    > strace -etrace=none -o/tmp/.trace -p
    >
    > which would at least tell you what signal it caught...
    >
    > good luck
    > Guennadi
    >

    > > Just talk to me, I am not able to do this on my own...
    > >

    > > Markus

    waiting
    > > for

    > > disappears

    > > app?!
    > > >
    > > > It depends - different options have it differently. Most simple

    ones
    > > are
    > > > just compile-time, so, you don't have to enable them. Look

    in "help"
    > > for
    > > > respective debug-options.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Guennadi
    > > > ---
    > > > Guennadi Liakhovetski
    > > >

    > ---
    > Guennadi Liakhovetski

  11. Re: programs vanish with 2.6.22+

    I try that, but it will take a lot of time!

    Markus

    > fre, 07 12 2007 kl. 23:52 +0100, skrev Markus:
    > > Well, now some windows vanished, but no additional messages were
    > > produced by kernel. When somebody could tell what I exactly need to
    > > do... would be nice.
    > > Or a hit, in what direction I should look. Because its really nasty

    > > not being able to use a current kernel.
    > >
    > > I already rebuild the whole system, as suggested by the gentoo-devs,
    > > without success.
    > >
    > > I could also try to debug/strace/whatever the apps and wait for it

    > > disappear.
    > >
    > > Just talk to me, I am not able to do this on my own...
    > >

    > If you feel like you are able to tell whether a specific kernel

    version
    > is buggy or not, you might want to try to bisect it. See
    > Documentation/BUG-HUNTING in the sources, and please ask.
    >

    > Simon Holm Th√łgersen

  12. Re: programs vanish with 2.6.22+

    On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 01:25:21PM +0100, Markus wrote:
    > Well, just tried it. Started a dozen konquerors and attached strace to
    > everyone. When one disapeared, I only got a "Process 9246 detached",
    > nothing else is printed or written in the log.
    >
    > Markus

    Hallo Markus

    Whenever the connection to the X server is dropped the application
    using that connection will be terminated by the client library
    error handler (KDE/Qt/X11).

    Probably the applications simply drop out of their event loop and
    terminate, you should see some X11 related error messages in

    ..xsession-errors

    My guess would be that some of the eye-candy in KDE is using
    DRI / OpenGL features that might be the cause for mailfunction.

    I would suggest you start by disabling DRI / AIGLX rendering
    in your xorg.conf and see if your applications work without
    all those nifty features.

    Below you can find some settings to disable AIGLX, DRI and
    composite rendering.

    They should be integrated in the configuration sections I
    quoted. This is not a complete configuration file.

    Best regards,
    Patrick

    --- ---

    Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AIGLX" "false"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Disable "dri"
    EndSection

    Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "false"
    EndSection

    --- ---

  13. Re: programs vanish with 2.6.22+

    On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 13:12:14 +0100
    Markus wrote:

    > I try that, but it will take a lot of time!
    >
    > Markus

    This problem remembers me something...

    http://groups.google.com/group/linux...1a0b3a05bd3596

    Are you the same Markus? (or it's just a coincidence?)

    It seems the same BUG...

    --
    Paolo Ornati
    Linux 2.6.24-rc4-g7e1fb765 on x86_64

  14. Re: programs vanish with 2.6.22+

    Well, no I am not the same markus. And I found that before, but I
    thought it was something about cfs and imo that made it into linus-tree
    in .23 not .22.
    But I should perhaps try to change my name, perhaps that fixes it -.-

    Markus

    PS: am currently doing a bisect, thats really bad: third bisect and the
    kernel is unusable.

    > On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 13:12:14 +0100
    > Markus wrote:
    >
    > > I try that, but it will take a lot of time!
    > >
    > > Markus

    > This problem remembers me something...

    http://groups.google.com/group/linux...1a0b3a05bd3596

    > Are you the same Markus? (or it's just a coincidence?)
    >
    > It seems the same BUG...

  15. Re: programs vanish with 2.6.22+

    Well, after that I tried to verify that 22 is really fine.
    Unfortunatelly under heavy load its the same... even with .19 (the
    oldes kernel I have still installed)
    I just noticed it, because its harder to produce it on .22 and before.
    You guys tuned the kernel so it was easier.
    So it must be something in userspace, please excuse me

    Markus

  16. Re: programs vanish with 2.6.22+

    On Dec 8, 2007 4:25 AM, Markus wrote:
    > Well, just tried it. Started a dozen konquerors and attached strace to
    > everyone. When one disapeared, I only got a "Process 9246 detached",
    > nothing else is printed or written in the log.

    You could try an ltrace instead, and see if it's one of the linked
    libraries having a problem.

  17. Re: programs vanish with 2.6.22+

    Markus wrote:
    > Well, now some windows vanished, but no additional messages were
    > produced by kernel. When somebody could tell what I exactly need to
    > do... would be nice.
    > Or a hit, in what direction I should look. Because its really nasty to
    > not being able to use a current kernel.
    >
    > I already rebuild the whole system, as suggested by the gentoo-devs,
    > without success.
    >
    > I could also try to debug/strace/whatever the apps and wait for it to
    > disappear.
    >
    > Just talk to me, I am not able to do this on my own...

    Try running under GNOME if you can, this sounds as if it may be an X
    problem.

    --
    Bill Davidsen